$399 Sceptre U500CV-UMK 49" 4K 60Hz LED HDTV with HDMI 2.0

Wine

Limp Gawd
In stock as of 12/4 7:16pm EST for $499

Sceptre U500CV-UMK 49" 4K HDTV Free shipping/pickup

The HDMI 1 port is equipped with HDMI 2.0, which lets you seamlessly stream 4k video to get the most rewarding viewing experience that is available on the market.

Explore your apps on this giant LED screen once you connect your smartphone or tablet to the Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) port (HDMI 2). The MHL port also functions as a charger so your device’s battery life will not be depleted.

The innovative USB port further expands functionality, allowing users to listen to music and view digital pictures quickly and conveniently.

Built-in digital tuner, Watch digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available

Manual PDF

k2-_246bff75-f24b-4dc4-a33a-3001b81c84ae.v1.jpg

Last edited:
Thoughts on using this for a PC Monitor?

Viewing angles on the sides screw up the colors or big input lag or anything?

I'm currently on a Dell U3011 which is fine, but wouldn't mind an upgrade eventually, but only if its really an upgrade.

Thoughts on using this for a PC Monitor?

Viewing angles on the sides screw up the colors or big input lag or anything?

I'm currently on a Dell U3011 which is fine, but wouldn't mind an upgrade eventually, but only if its really an upgrade.

I wouldn't use this as a PC monitor. HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.
Without Displayport, it can't do 4:4:4.

You will be going from 30" to 49" and 4kp, so the size alone is a huge deal. I am still waiting for the first few buyers to review this thing, and lay out some basic impressions before I make a choice.

From what I understand, no one knows if it is Chroma 4:4:4 @4k 60hz , or like most other hdmi 2.0

sets, so far only 4:2:0. That is really what will decide if it's a good pc monitor candidate.

What about 1440p @60fps? 4k @60fps not feasible for me yet.

OOS :(

Sceptre U500CV-UMK 49" 4K HDTV $399 Free shipping/pickup

The HDMI 1 port is equipped with HDMI 2.0, which lets you seamlessly stream 4k video to get the most rewarding viewing experience that is available on the market.

Explore your apps on this giant LED screen once you connect your smartphone or tablet to the Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) port (HDMI 2). The MHL port also functions as a charger so your device’s battery life will not be depleted.

The innovative USB port further expands functionality, allowing users to listen to music and view digital pictures quickly and conveniently.

Built-in digital tuner, Watch digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available

Manual PDF

k2-_246bff75-f24b-4dc4-a33a-3001b81c84ae.v1.jpg

No reviews anywhere on the net. This is the longest post I can easily find.

I pulled the trigger and will post a review when I get it (assuming it ships). Shipping says it'll take a couple of weeks to get here. If the TV isn't worth my time, I'll simply return it. I currently have an LG 32" 720p - $650 8-10 years ago. The remote sensor is broken (most of the time). Needless to say, I expect any TV to be better than what I'm currently using.

I'm excited to check this sucker out!

I wouldn't use this as a PC monitor. HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.
Without Displayport, it can't do 4:4:4.

Sure, this limited spec HDMI 2.0 can't do 4:4:4, but full spec HDMI 2.0 which are starting to roll out can do 12 bit 4:4:4 at 60hz.I just think people reading this who aren't aware should know. It's not just DisplayPort that can do it. It's just that we haven't had a lot of full spec HDMI 2.0 displays yet.

Apparently these sets are selling like hotcakes, lots of them passing through shipping facilities.

How would this be for a HTPC running XBMC and whatever else?

I just ordered this TV. I'll check it out and report back. Any good tools for calibration and testing? All I have for testing is a PC/MAC and Android Box.

Also what is everyone's thoughts on the 4yr warranty at $49? Is Wal-Mart a pain in the ass when dealing with returns or do they not try to make excuses? For $49 it might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how does one come across that kind of information?

Sources on the inside.

Ha I ordered at 12AM PST. At 12:01 the price shot up to $599.

I know at least one person that may regret not pulling the trigger when I pointed it out yesterday. He thought $399 for this Sceptre was expensive, wait till he sees the new $599!

Seems like a good buy. I first saw this last night and told myself I would buy in the morning so angry that I didn't jump on it right then, now it went up $200 :mad: Guess I'll keep looking.

Fwiw.. In the latest firmware updates from Samsung, they have enabled a 4k PC mode without HDCP @ 60hz with 4:4:4 color over hdmi 2.0.

Any word on the TCL 4k color implementation?

@thomaslfessler

Do you mind sharing links and information?

I would MUCH MUCH rather have a Samsung at a few hundred more dollars for the quality than therse sets. Im very interested in something around 40 - 42" that can do 4K 60hz with 4:4:4.

Than you thomaslfessler!

Got mine in and all connected. I found out none of my computers can do 4k. When I used a DVI to hdmi connector, I did get a 4K resolution selection but I'm not sure if it was a true 4K res. I did see a 4:4:4 or 4:4:2 option within my ATI CCC while in 1080p. Displaying a couple of 4:4:4 image tests (in 1080p) were not grand. Magenta was definitely fuzzy which is indicative of being a non 4:4:4 -- That's all I have regarding the chroma specs.

Cons:
  • Viewing angles - no so good.
  • Backlight bleed - is bad. It is very noticeable on a black screen.
  • Subtle banding which corresponds to the bleed.
  • Blacks are closer to dark gray than black.
  • The sound is poor.
  • This one is odd - Whites seem to dim when darker elements are viewed or displayed on the screen. Such as you're scrolling through a standard black-on-white web page, you can actually see the lighting dim or brighten as you move down the page. This is very annoying.
  • Glare - the surface isn't completely glossy but it's definitely not a matte finish.
  • Not a smart TV

Pros:
  • It plays videos/movies well. I pulled up some 1080p YouTubes and was thoroughly impressed. Netflix HD (again non-4k) looks really good.
  • Lightweight. Weighs substantially less than my old LG 32".
  • Quality, full color manual - :)
  • Roku Ready
  • No dead pixels from what I can tell

Other:
Only 60hz refresh - (120hz looks weird to me)
Packaging was adequate - It came with a screw driver.
Quality of picture seems higher on VGA. My old AMD on-board video has a black border with the HDMI connection and I can't modify the overscan since CCC doesn't work on it.

Final thoughts:
It's a cheap TV and I knew this when I bought it. I doubt it's usefulness in gaming. I was going to return it when I saw the backlight bleed and other cons mentioned above. But after watching some TV and Movies, I think I'll keep it because that is all it will be used for. I got 49" inch 4k capable TV for $431 after taxes. Sounds like a good deal to me plus it gives me a good excuse to upgrade my video card. :D

Let me know if there is something you'd like me check/test.

A snapshot of a paused 1080p youtube video:

Last edited:
Only 60hz refresh - (120hz movies look weird to me)

I really don't get it. What do you mean by 120hz movies look weird? I didn't know there was such thing as 120hz movies, thought it was the tv that was doing the refresh rate not movies.

I really don't get it. What do you mean by 120hz movies look weird? I didn't know there was such thing as 120hz movies, thought it was the tv that was doing the refresh rate not movies.

Corrected.

anyone get this to work at 4.4.4 chroma at 4k? this is 429 at walmart right now, is it worth it?

anyone get this to work at 4.4.4 chroma at 4k? this is 429 at walmart right now, is it worth it?

No one has. Its a very budget display. Pretty much you are paying for high resolution for a low price but you don't get any quality otherwise.

Back