3Dmark06 e8600 OC with 4870x2

hdnut

Gawd
Just got done running the 3dMark06 after installing the 4870x2 on my evga 780i FTW which also happens to be the home for my E8600 OC'd at 4.4ghz. This is also my everyday working OC.

Final tally was 21094 with only 3995 from CPU Score.

I know that it's only a benchmarking score, but I'm still very impressed. The 4870x2 mated with E6600 @ 3.54ghz could only muster 16500 with CPU Score of 3000.

Time to run some games.

I'd like to see some gaming benchies E6600 3.5 GHz vs E8600 4.4 GHz if you don't mind posting...

Just got done running the 3dMark06 after installing the 4870x2 on my evga 780i FTW QUOTE]

Just curious, did you get the mobo and vid card at the same time? Or did you already have the 780i before you got the X2?

The only reason I'd go with a NV chipset is if I was hell bent to go SLi or Tri SLi.

Just curious, did you get the mobo and vid card at the same time? Or did you already have the 780i before you got the X2?

The only reason I'd go with a NV chipset is if I was hell bent to go SLi or Tri SLi.

To answer your question, I got the 780i FTW before I purchased the 4870x2.

But it wouldn't have matter either way since I was going to purchase an nvidia based board anyway. Why? Simply because the board allows me to have my options open for GPU solutions. With no GTX280 X2 in sight (not in the near future it seems) at the time of purchase, the only way to SLI these cards was to buy a nvidia based board. On the other hand, 4870x2 was already available with 4850x2 looming in the future when I purchased the board. Now that I have the 4870x2 installed on it, it has been working perfectly on this board.

At the time of board purchase I did not want to waste my two 8800gts g92's either. Intel solution meant I would of had to get rid of one of these cards.

Anyway, I don't listen to all the negative talk about nvidia based boards. I go by personal experience and not by hearsay as most seem to do in this forum. So far, nvidia based boards have been excellent for my overclocking needs. This is not to say that people haven't experienced any negative issues with nvidia based boards but many have not experienced it themselves and go by what they read on these forums. Also, from my experience, your hardware is usually only good as the knowledge of the person using it.

Bottom line: if yur a noob to OC then don't complain about hardware cuz chances are, you fudged something up.

Even experienced OC'ers need to be a bit cautious when pushing new hardware to their limits. And different hardware have different limits so it is up to the user to be knowledgeable about their hardware before pushing them beyond their specs.

I've encountered no problems with 780i FTW so far (minus a small user created error). It is running my e8600 at 4.4ghz as everyday OC (can go higher but needs quite bit more voltage) and 4870x2 @ 800/1000 without any issues whatsoever. 5 HDD are also attached to the mobo as I write.

Anyway, before this thread goes way off topic, I am almost done testing with e8600 with 4870x2 and will test e6600 fairly soon.

Back