4870 + vista 64 BSoD's

PsichoDM

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anybody else had encountered a similar problem before.

I just recently installed Vista 64 ultimate on my machine, which was running 32bit XP pro SP3 flawlessly for quite a while.

My Sapphire 4870 drivers are the 8.501.0.0 which windows upgrade fetches for you. Now what happens once in a while, in a pretty much unpredictable fashion, is that the screen flickers on and off for a few seconds, while displaying a "Display driver has stopped working and has successfully recovered" or something of that sort message. After that, most of the times it bluescreens reporting problems with one of the ATI driver files (I can't really pinpoint it unfortunately because every time it happens I don't get enough time to write it down.. lol). I also should mention that I'm dual-screening a 24" and a 19".

It happens both while playing something, and also when just sitting on the desktop, which I was running Vista Aero on, with some Dreamscape wallpapers. I reverted to Vista Basic theme to see if maybe Aero was messing it up.

Has anybody experienced this before, and are there well known solutions for it?

I'm having the exact same problem.

9850 Quad-Core 2.5GHZ
4GB Ram
64Bit Vista
HD4870 Visiontek 512MB
I am running two monitors: 23'' Sony Vaio and a 19" Gateway

I have very frequent BSOD while playing FFXI and WoW. Also, if I turn off my second monitor the main monitor will flash and if I am running a game it will crash and ask to close program.

Manually get Cata 8.8, not 8.9 since there's been lots of reports of shittiness.

8.8 drivers is Driver Packaging Version 8.522-080731a-067980C-ATI

So you're using the drivers that came with Windows Update? Stop that shit.

Download the latest CATs from ATIs webpage and install those. Make sure you uninstall the old ones first.

I am not having any issues with cat 8.9. I followed the instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall the drivers on ATI's website. I also used driver cleaner after uninstalling the previous version.

I'm having this problem with my 1gb 4870. I'm on cat 8.9 and i get the BSOD you describe only on a cold start while vista is loading. once vista is up and you reset the machine it starts fine. only cold starts seem to produce the BSOD.

Is this driver or card related?

I have a similar issue. Only while playing WoW do I get the ATIKMDAG driver failing. It sometimes recovers, other times is requires a hard reboot.

I'm running the 8.9 CAT drivers. I've tried to disable PowerPlay by forcing my card to run at 78000 clock speed and I increased the fan speed. Some thought this might be the issue. This has not fixed my problem.

ATI needs to get on the ball with this one. It seems that a number of people are having this issue and have been for quite some time now. I've ran Memtest a number of times, successfully. I've reseated all my cards and memory. I have a 750W modular PSU, so power shouldn't be an issue. It's only WoW that seems to have an issue. Crysis, Spore, Mercenaries 2 and Warcraft III all work without errors.

This would lead some to say it's WoWs fault, but I'm not convinced. I think it has to do with how the 4870 handles older games. (Which leaves me confused about Warcraft III. I thought they were a similar engine.) Could be Vista 64bit, but who knows.

i was getting the error in event viewer for ATIKMDAG but no blue screens. so i did not pay any attention to it. i recently bought a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter for the power connections as my gamexstream only has 6 pin connections. funny thing is the error message disappeared from event viewer when i did that. not sure if it is related or not.

Upgrade the Bios. I was a pioneer with this problem since I was one of the first to realize that the new 4870 needed a bios upgrade. This will most likely fix this problem.

Dumb question, but have you updated the "vista fix" from microsoft that likes to BSOD the machine when 4gb of memory is used? I had this issue when i reinstalled over the weekend and completely forgot about it. Its an update from january 07/

I havent had any BSoD's in awhile. Not sure if its related but i turn on my monitor first before turning on my machine..thats really the only change i have made.

Only gripe with this card is that Stalker clear sky has become totally unplayable with v1.505. framerates are pathetic even on 'low' settings. :mad:

i don't get any BSOD with Vista 64bit and my 4870 running Cat 8.9's. have you installed all important updates? i used to get the ATIKMDAG error but solved that by lowering my gpu overclock.

Dumb question, but have you updated the "vista fix" from microsoft that likes to BSOD the machine when 4gb of memory is used? I had this issue when i reinstalled over the weekend and completely forgot about it. Its an update from january 07/
Do you have any more info on this update? I have been having issues for months with Vista64 and my 4850. Because I have been having these issue with Vista64 I have been running on XP Pro (SP3) on first partition because of these issues. I have no issues with XP. I have done 3 clean installs of Vista64 and I keep having issues. I have been doing updates though so this might be the issue. I have latest bios on my mobo. Thanks!

I'm getting this issue too. Switched from 8800gt, no issues, removed the nvidia drivers with a guru 3d utility. No version of mobo bios and no driver version changes it.

I have same issue - slow flicker, driver stops working, ATIKMDAG fails, BSOD. Running a 24" and 22" monitor. Early adopter of 4850, and tried all versions of drivers through 8.10. Even tried a driver cleaner. Lemme look into mobo bios.

If you get the ATIKMDAG error/flickering followed up by BSODs try this:

In regedit
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Graphics Drivers
Create New DWORD value
Name it as TdrDelay
Modify: set value to 5

Seems to be an exclusive vista problem with no response time for the GPU. The default is 2 sec. For me, increasing to 5 sec seems to have fixed the problem.

You need to upgrade your card bios ...i face similar problem and after updating the bios my problem just vanished.

Back