4870x2 reviews beating gtx280 sli

But what about a situtaion where you have independent threads? The the N core solution could be better than the 1 core.

Your standard consumer CPU is able to multi-task without any significant overhead. So you'd have equivalent performance.

Edit - I wasn't entirely correct. As N gets bigger this becomes less true. The overhead for switching tasks becomes more and more of a factor as N gets larger. At 4 threads you couldn't tell at all. At 40 threads, you might be able to tell a little (I'm not sure how much). With hundreds of threads, a single core would start to get bogged down. For you or I, though, the N gigahertz CPU would probably be optimal.

Edit edit: by "threads" I mean threads that will take up a significant portion of CPU time, such as a video application or a flash game, not the background tasks that you'll see if you open up the windows task manager. What's important isn't really the number of threads, but how often the CPU has to switch between them.

Your standard consumer CPU is able to multi-task without any significant overhead. So you'd have equivalent performance.

Edit - I wasn't entirely correct. As N gets bigger this becomes less true. The overhead for switching tasks becomes more and more of a factor as N gets larger. At 4 threads you couldn't tell at all. At 40 threads, you might be able to tell a little (I'm not sure how much). With hundreds of threads, a single core would start to get bogged down. For you or I, though, the N gigahertz CPU would probably be optimal.

Edit edit: by "threads" I mean threads that will take up a significant portion of CPU time, such as a video application or a flash game, not the background tasks that you'll see if you open up the windows task manager. What's important isn't really the number of threads, but how often the CPU has to switch between them.
So you're wrong? (legitimate question, not a dig) Just think about the format logically - a single processor, no matter who awesome your virtualization, isn't going to cut it. Hyper-threading showed that. I like the approach of intel with Nehalem doing both multicore and hyperthreading, that might be a happy medium that yields fantastic performance. Anyway, it seems like you continually throw in theory when reality has shown otherwise. Also, for the record, I'm not a Comp sci. major or engineer, just a computer enthusiast, so sorry if I mix up the specifics. However, in the point of ATi's 4870X2 new marketing, they seemed to have learned a lesson from intel's demise of Netburst and jumped on to the multi-core path early, and it looks to be a great decision.

People are misapplying their knowledge of multi-core CPUs to multi-GPU cards. They are not even close to being the same.

So you're wrong? (legitimate question, not a dig) Just think about the format logically - a single processor, no matter who awesome your virtualization, isn't going to cut it. Hyper-threading showed that. I like the approach of intel with Nehalem doing both multicore and hyperthreading, that might be a happy medium that yields fantastic performance.

I was wrong in that my initial absolute statement of 'a single core is always faster' was incorrect. That's what happens when I go mouthing off without fully thinking stuff through :rolleyes:. But perhaps my above post was not clear - it's only when you're running a massively parallel application, like, say, rasterization, with tons of threads that a multicore processor will start to overtake a single core. That's why graphics chips were originally invented :D. For you or I, though, where at the peak of multitasking we'll probably never reach more than a handful or so work intensive threads, a multi-core is at best equal to a proportionately higher clocked single core. If any thread happens to be taking up 100% of a core's time, the single core may pull ahead. There may be some hardware reason why you might need multiple cores running to multitask some things, but I'm not aware of any.

Also, as a side note, virtualization is what allows a CPU to run multiple operating systems at once. It is not necessary for switching between multiple threads, nor does it facilitate doing so (to my knowledge).

Anyway, it seems like you continually throw in theory when reality has shown otherwise.
There's no difference between theory and practice, in theory :p

Also, for the record, I'm not a Comp sci. major or engineer, just a computer enthusiast, so sorry if I mix up the specifics. However, in the point of ATi's 4870X2 new marketing, they seemed to have learned a lesson from intel's demise of Netburst and jumped on to the multi-core path early, and it looks to be a great decision.
Graphics chips have always been massively parallel. A regular 4870 already has hundreds of 'cores.' Each one certainly is not the equivalent of a Phenom or C2 core, but they are still individual processing cores. What ATI is doing is improving the ability of multiple chips to work together. Since the cores are split between dies, it's much harder for them to share information, so it takes a lot of either performance overhead, or code/hardware ninja-ing to get them working together. In an application like graphics rendering that's already massively parallelizable, it's generally advantageous to have more cores running. If you can combine the power of multiple cores on multiple dies well, then you might as well make a smaller die, achieve higher yields, and slap several dies together to get a performance chip. In conclusion, the 4870x2 isn't really analogous to the core 2 duo. 4870x2 was a winner because ATI found a good way to combine multiple chips, whereas core 2 was a winner because

Ok ait fan boys. We need ati so nvdia can drop their prices and make better video cards. Now I can finally get my 2nd 280 thanks to the 4870's. 280 in SLI comes out to be the same or a little faster then 4870x2 in corssfire. Only thing that hold ati back is their narrow memory bus. Hey is 4870x2 are good and better for price/performance wise. But if you want to best cards out there nvidia is there.
Ture it cost more, but you get better IQ, more stability and less issues with nvidia drivers as to ati. Not to mention crossfire. SLI is way better. Tho both nvdia and ati have their own issues, ati has more.
This is good for people who are going cheaper and don't want to pay a hefty price.

The only spot where I see the 4870x2 beating GTX280SLI is in AoC test. Anyways, there are some games like UT3 that the x2 cards are going to be faster in just becuase of through put but I'm sorry, I'd rather have 40FPS in crysis at maximum detail than have 400 FPS in UT3 :rolleyes:

Read the title of the thread idiots. It's not 4870x2 CF that beats GTX280 SLI, its a single 4870x2.

Only thing that GTX280 SLI beats 4870x2 single in is Crysis according to all the previews I've seen so far.

Sorry but I'd rather pay $450 to get something that performs faster than a $1000 setup.

∞Velocitymaster∞;1032755607 said:
But if you want to best cards out there nvidia is there.
Ture it cost more, but you get better IQ, more stability and less issues with nvidia drivers as to ati.
Better IQ, stability and drivers?
And you're stating it as if it was a fact?
Jeesh...:rolleyes:

Hey, I can cherrypick too ;)

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15105

3 out of 4 games, 4870x2 is slower than much cheaper 9800GX2 in Crysis

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3354&p=1

4870x2 is slower/equivalent to 9800GX2 in 2 out of 4 titles.

Suddenly, not much a value, isn't it ? And GTX280 is approaching $399 mark already.
Looks like you didn't read the same articles as I did, because the 4870X2 only came behind the 9800GX2 in Crysis. And is on beta drivers. In a preview. And managed to far surpass the other cards in every other game. Yah... Honestly if you want to root for nVidia its fine, but don't make stuff up.

Graphics chips have always been massively parallel. A regular 4870 already has hundreds of 'cores.' Each one certainly is not the equivalent of a Phenom or C2 core, but they are still individual processing cores. What ATI is doing is improving the ability of multiple chips to work together. Since the cores are split between dies, it's much harder for them to share information, so it takes a lot of either performance overhead, or code/hardware ninja-ing to get them working together. In an application like graphics rendering that's already massively parallelizable, it's generally advantageous to have more cores running. If you can combine the power of multiple cores on multiple dies well, then you might as well make a smaller die, achieve higher yields, and slap several dies together to get a performance chip. In conclusion, the 4870x2 isn't really analogous to the core 2 duo. 4870x2 was a winner because ATI found a good way to combine multiple chips, whereas core 2 was a winner because
Right, I in no means meant to make any operating comparisons between CPUs and GPUs as their architectures are vastly different, as you pointed out. My point was the general trend to take on multiprocessor/core over a larger single core. For an analogy, I look at the 4870X2 as a two processor server board from back in the day. Each CPU has its own memory and what not, but can still "talk" to the other CPU to be more productive. I just see the 4870X2 as a beginning step to much more integrated multiprocessor graphics cards. There's so much potential with the great scaling (1.8x +) and money saving measures (smaller, cheaper cores, only one PCB, etc.) that it looks very promising.

HE works for ATI!

I believe i speak for all the users here:

Thank You ATI for creating the 1900XTX that pretty much forced NVIDIA to create the 7950GX2 and later gave birth to 8800GTX, a state of art piece of hardware, a card that stayed at the top for sooo long that some people get 2 in SLI to run a 30"!:p

Thank YOU ATI for creating the 3000 series that not only gave us sound over HDMI but also introduced the 55nm fanless low cost cards that made HD video a reality on the HTPC world, without them we would still be looking at $500+ BluRay players. And the 3850 forced NVIDIA to put the 8800gt below $200, making budget 16x10 gaming possible for everyone.

Thank You ATI for selling the 4850 at the MRSP of $200 on launch, once again breaking grounds (no card had ever been sold at MRSP AND with good stocks at launch before:D). That was the card that not only forced NVIDIA to put the 9800GTX below $200, this time making budget 19x12 gaming possible! But also created the very first sub $400 30" gaming setup: 4850 in CF.

And thank You ATI for making the 4870 AND the 4870X2, AGAIN making NVIDIA to lower the 260/180 overgouged pricetags(OH NO! NOT AGAIN!!!ROFL), this time creating a groundbreaking piece of hardware that not only made single slot 25x16 gaming possible, but made it with unheard of levels of AA!

BTW My last cards: 6600GT>X1950Pro>8800GT; now moving to 4870X2!!

AND by the time the 4870X2 arrives i pretty much expect NVIDIA to make a paper launch of the 280@55nm, just like the 9800GTX+ paper lauch before! AND i will thank NVIDIA for that, as it will lower the ATI price tags.;)

My conclusions:
a- Competition is good for the market.
b- The long time of the 8800GTX/8800GTS/9800GTX (the SAME card for performance`s sake) at the top made NVIDIA rich and lazy, the sooner the 4870X2 gets some company at the top the better for everyone!
c- I will always buy the cards that are in stock at best price/performance for the task . But i must admit that ATI was working hard to win market share, first dominating tha HTPCs with the 3450/780G (here in Brazil i have yet to found a single HTPC forum that advocates the use of NVIDIA cards for this task), later taking the mid AND the highend market with the 4850/CF4850. The 4870X2 is a market consolidation move coming from the company tha gave us: sound over HDMI, 55nm GPUs, sub $200 gaming cards and fanless HTPCs.

let them CELEBRATE!

But what about a situtaion where you have independent threads? The the N core solution could be better than the 1 core.

As I said it depends on a lot, primarily the biggest difference is going to be how well the app deals with multicore.

it also depends exactly what values of N we're talking about. A good example is valves supposed approach to multicore was to have 1 core be a sort of controller core whos sole job is to divide the work up amongst the other cores, and as gabe said in an interview, with dual core (n=2) essentially you see no difference in speed because you've only got 1 worker core anyhow.

Now we have n=4 and soon n=8 the percentage of the cpu reserved for balancing the workload becomes a smaller and smaller fraction, as n gets larger. Quite what valve have done since that interview a way back, I dont know, they may have changed their minds on that one, but it made sense for future scalability because hard coding an engine to use 2 core, or 4 cores is a bad idea when the number of cores is going up over time, a solution which scales witht he CPU's is far more elogant and future proof it just happens for low values of n it's not that great.

Hey, I can cherrypick too ;)

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15105

3 out of 4 games, 4870x2 is slower than much cheaper 9800GX2 in Crysis

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3354&p=1

4870x2 is slower/equivalent to 9800GX2 in 2 out of 4 titles.

Suddenly, not much a value, isn't it ? And GTX280 is approaching $399 mark already.

Huh? The anandtech preview, in Age of Conan, GRID and Oblivion the 4870x2 is waaay better performing than 9800X2. Its only Crysis it slips behind.

The techreport preview, again its winning in all but Crysis.

Its clear the card just doesn't scale well in Crysis, as its getting barely any better performance than a regular 4870. Hopefully with new drivers out before the card itself is released, it'll smash Crysis out of the park too.

Only thing that hold ati back is their narrow memory bus.

Actually, a 256 bit memory bus on the 4870 is narrower than Nvidia, but doesn't hold them back at all because they're using GDDR5 which is quad pumped rather than dual as in GDDR3. So you can't just look at the memory width anymore and instantly conclude whether or not a card is bandwidth starved. Although once you stop and think about it, they really should have come up with a different name for GDDR5. Because that stands for Graphics Dual Data Rate 5, when it is actually Graphics Quad Data Rate 5 (GQDR5) :p

Hey is 4870x2 are good and better for price/performance wise. But if you want to best cards out there nvidia is there.
Ture it cost more, but you get better IQ, more stability and less issues with nvidia drivers as to ati. Not to mention crossfire. SLI is way better. Tho both nvdia and ati have their own issues, ati has more.

I don't know where you're getting this from, but everything I've read says ATI is just as good, if not BETTER than Nvidia in the IQ, stability and multi-GPU department. On top of that, ATI releases new drivers monthly. Nvidia comes out with theirs, what? Quarterly?

Just to fan the flames more (because the fanboys seem to be ignoring this fact):

A single 4870x2 is beating GTX280 SLI in nearly every game (discounting the poorly coded TWIMTBP Crysis).

$450 vs $1000?

GGKTHXBAI NO RM.

Where are the new games man, gimme some games and I will buy the card!

Fallout 3 doesnt look like a high end game.

Just to fan the flames more (because the fanboys seem to be ignoring this fact):

A single 4870x2 is beating GTX280 SLI in nearly every game (discounting the poorly coded TWIMTBP Crysis).

$450 vs $1000?

GGKTHXBAI NO RM.

Uhhh, no. GRID, AoC and Assasins Creed are the games where the 4870x2 is beating GTX 280 SLI. In every oher game GTX 280 SLI is winning. Please, Crysis's coding doesn't matter. Speed is speed.

That said the 4870x2 will probably be a much better value, but it won't probably be $450 vs $1000 by the time the the 4870x2. It'll be more like $550 vs $800, maybe even closer. nVidia has gotten very aggressive with price cuts.

Where are the new games man, gimme some games and I will buy the card!

Fallout 3 doesnt look like a high end game.

Actually this is the intresting question. We really don't have many games that tax these puppies now. I wonder who'll do better in Far Cry 2.

interesting discussion. i'll be going with a 4870 or X2 so that i can stick with intel chipsets. nvidia wouldn't be so unattractive if their chipsets weren't so flakey. to be quite honest. i feel confident in saying crossfire will definatel work on an X58/nahelem rig too, whereas the status of SLi on LGA 1366 is still up in the air. finally, nvidia's recent public trash talking battle with intel left a bad taste in my mouth, and i see no reason to support their childish marketing methods (and as far as i'm concerend, that's all it really is). and since the 4870X2 looks to be bound to a black PCB, it's icing on the cake for me.

To add to the discussion, games I'm (probably) going to be getting a 4870X2 for:
Far Cry 2, STALKER - Clear Sky, Fallout 3

Whoa, it takes 2 GTX280's (SLI) to even compete with 1 single 4870x2. I'm sold!

$450 vs $1000 GG

Uhhh, no. GRID, AoC and Assasins Creed are the games where the 4870x2 is beating GTX 280 SLI. In every oher game GTX 280 SLI is winning. Please, Crysis's coding doesn't matter. Speed is speed.

That said the 4870x2 will probably be a much better value, but it won't probably be $450 vs $1000 by the time the the 4870x2. It'll be more like $550 vs $800, maybe even closer. nVidia has gotten very aggressive with price cuts.

Crysis is very biased towards nvidia cards, just look at the nvidia logo on the screen when you launch the game. My guess is they worked closely together to make sure the game ran faster on nvidia cards than on ATI cards. Even so, ATI is working on improving performance.

Also, the 4870x2 is supposed to have better AA than the nvidia cards, if you believe the [H] preview.

I think we will see the gtx 280 hit $399 near/at the 4870x2 launch, but even still, that's $550 vs $800 (+the cost of an SLI motherboard)

Crysis is very biased towards nvidia cards, just look at the nvidia logo on the screen when you launch the game. My guess is they worked closely together to make sure the game ran faster on nvidia cards than on ATI cards. Even so, ATI is working on improving performance.

Also, the 4870x2 is supposed to have better AA than the nvidia cards, if you believe the [H] preview.

I think we will see the gtx 280 hit $399 near/at the 4870x2 launch, but even still, that's $550 vs $800 (+the cost of an SLI motherboard)

Never said that the 4870x2 wasn't a better deal by the way things look now. I think you could see the GTX 280 hit $350 and lower in the next month. At that price, assuming the 4870x2 doesn't go much below $500 quickly and I would expect it to go for more than $550 at launch because of initial gouging for a hot high-end part, the 280 becomes a far better deal. At $350 two are then only $700. If you already have an SLI (many people in these forums do) does because a lot more viable.

What becomes even more interesting is 4870x2 CF vs. 3x SLI GTX 280/260. Assuming $550 for the 4870x2 and $350 for the 280, 3x then becomes a little cheaper. Of course there aren’t a ton of 3x SLI motherboards and I don’t see a lot of people going out to get one for 3x SLI, but now you’re talking really serious performance in a fair number of games that scale and the 3x would be a tad cheaper.

Depending on how big my rebate is for the 280’s, I could see as much as $360 back (I doubt I’ll see that much), I was thinking about getting a high-end CrossFire motherboard and going 4870x2 CF and sell two of my 280’s for $200. That would be about a good chunk of the cost, but the more I game with these 3 GTX’s, the more I doubt I’ll go that route. A 4870x2 might be faster but I’m already kicking everything in the nuts.

It’s really next gen time for me already.

That is exactly my point, it's the programs that need to catch up. Specialization and division of work produces faster and better results. It doesn't even have to be considered in the world of computing, look at Ford's assembly line in the early 1900s. Computing will eventually go the same way. Look at how GPUs are now being realized for number crunching because of their architecture.

Only because it would have been cheaper and require less output on the company in the long run. Intel is a business and a business makes money first and foremost. Having multiple processors in a single machine is much more efficient and versatile then having a fast single core processor, there's no alternative. The only reason a single processor is as powerful in some situations is because programs don't take advantage of the multiple cores. This isn't a question of computing as much as it is of simple logic.

Didn't amd start the whole dual core fad anyway? Intel only managed to catch up and surpass amd by the c2duos so...

Never said that the 4870x2 wasn't a better deal by the way things look now. I think you could see the GTX 280 hit $350 and lower in the next month. At that price, assuming the 4870x2 doesn't go much below $500 quickly and I would expect it to go for more than $550 at launch because of initial gouging for a hot high-end part, the 280 becomes a far better deal. At $350 two are then only $700. If you already have an SLI (many people in these forums do) does because a lot more viable.

What becomes even more interesting is 4870x2 CF vs. 3x SLI GTX 280/260. Assuming $550 for the 4870x2 and $350 for the 280, 3x then becomes a little cheaper. Of course there aren’t a ton of 3x SLI motherboards and I don’t see a lot of people going out to get one for 3x SLI, but now you’re talking really serious performance in a fair number of games that scale and the 3x would be a tad cheaper.

Depending on how big my rebate is for the 280’s, I could see as much as $360 back (I doubt I’ll see that much), I was thinking about getting a high-end CrossFire motherboard and going 4870x2 CF and sell two of my 280’s for $200. That would be about a good chunk of the cost, but the more I game with these 3 GTX’s, the more I doubt I’ll go that route. A 4870x2 might be faster but I’m already kicking everything in the nuts.

It’s really next gen time for me already.

280 hitting $350?! Maybe but then what will the 4870x2 price be, assuming at release performance numbers stay the same or even improve. I've seen some rumours at several sites suggesting that nvidia partners have really hard time selling the gtx 2xx cards especially the 280 so maybe even further price drops on the card. In the end if nvidia decides to sell their top of the line that cheap ati will have no choice but to respond with price cuts which means I WIN!!!!! Hey maybe during my next build i might even have enough money to throw in watercooling!!!!!

Assuming $550 for the 4870x2 and $350 for the 280, 3x then becomes a little cheaper.

Why not assuming $550 for the 4870x2 and $200 for the 280?
Or even $150 for the 280? Sure, in that case you can buy 4x280 instead of 1x4870x2 :).
Let's go further - what about $80 for the 280? That would be a winner I'm sure. LOL.

280 hitting $350?! Maybe but then what will the 4870x2 price be, assuming at release performance numbers stay the same or even improve. I've seen some rumours at several sites suggesting that nvidia partners have really hard time selling the gtx 2xx cards especially the 280 so even further price drops on the card. In the end if nvidia decides to sell their top of the line that cheap ati will have no choince but to respond with price cuts which means I WIN!!!!! Hey maybe during my next build i might even have enough money to throw in watercooling!!!!!

It will depend on market reactions. If the 280 goes to $350, it’s not that far off now, I don't know if AMD will be forced to respond with price cuts on the 4870x2 if it's as good as the previews make it out to be. The 4870 and 4850 might get a bit more shaven off though.

While AMD might be doing a LOT better on the margins of the 4800’s than nVidia on the GTX 200’s, AMD just ate $1 billion bucks. Cutting prices is the LAST thing AMD wants to do not and it’s hand isn’t being forced like nVidia’s so AMD is going to much more deliberate about it until it sees sales take a big hit.

You mean like the nVidia logo on the screen when you launch Age of Conan? /sigh

Well in the preview it clearly states that ATi wasn't happy with how their card was scaling in Crysis. Keep in mind this is a preview. I'm sure once the drivers are finalized and the card is more tuned for Crysis we'll see much higher numbers.

Whoa, it takes 2 GTX280's (SLI) to even compete with 1 single 4870x2. I'm sold!

$450 vs $1000 GG

I'm sorry but I really hate reading comments like these because they state the OBVIOUS and they are made like the person doesn't think they're doing so.

OF COURSE it's gonna take 2xGTX280's in SLI to compete with a 4870x2 because we already know that a 4870 performs very closely to a single GTX280 and to top it off a 4870x2 connects both the GPU's using the improved interlink which improves the CF connection that the 2 GPU's have.

Plain and simple this is 2 gpu's versus 2 gpu's, I don't wanna hear that "But the 4870x2 is a single card" shit either. [/rant]

Well anyway with that said I really like where the price war is headed. With the recent price drops I get to step up from a GTX260 to a GTX280 for $60 :D. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the GTX280 goes down even more after the release of the 4870x2. Hell I might be able to afford 3. It's a good time to be shopping for GPU's indeed :).

I'm sorry but I really hate reading comments like these because they state the OBVIOUS and they are made like the person doesn't think they're doing so.

OF COURSE it's gonna take 2xGTX280's in SLI to compete with a 4870x2 because we already know that a 4870 performs very closely to a single GTX280 and to top it off a 4870x2 connects both the GPU's using the improved interlink which improves the CF connection that the 2 GPU's have.

Plain and simple this is 2 gpu's versus 2 gpu's, I don't wanna hear that "But the 4870x2 is a single card" shit either. [/rant]

yea except you spend more money buying 2 gtx's haha . ATI FTW!!!

if only the cpu race with this competetive .... we'd all have 5.0Ghz Oct cores .... we can only dream tho

yea except you spend more money buying 2 gtx's haha . ATI FTW!!!

HAHA that is true. But I wouldn't be suprised if the GTX280's hit $400 or maybe less. It may still be more expensive but a lot more tolerable and would make 3-Way so much more appealing and possible.

Well anyway with that said I really like where the price war is headed. With the recent price drops I get to step up from a GTX260 to a GTX280 for $60 :D. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the GTX280 goes down even more after the release of the 4870x2. Hell I might be able to afford 3. It's a good time to be shopping for GPU's indeed :).

It's about price comparison these days .Gas prices anyone? *cough
Most people would not care if there were 30 GPUs.. just so long as it is 1 card.

It's about price comparison these days .Gas prices anyone? *cough
Most people would not care if there were 30 GPUs.. just so long as it is 1 card.

I realize that... the only problem I had the original statment was that he made such an obvious statement and acts like it wasn't so obvious.

I realize that... the only problem I had the original statment was that he made such an obvious statement and acts like it wasn't so obvious.

Plain and simple this is 2 gpu's versus 2 gpu's, I don't wanna hear that "But the 4870x2 is a single card" shit either.

k dot dot dot

Back