51000+ errors in memtest86... Suggestions on new ram?

Kakyoin

2[H]4U
Recently upgraded to a AMD64 2800+ (NewCastle) and ABIT KV8 via newegg deal. Put in my gig kit of samsung pc3200 dual chan (2x512) had all sorts of problems with computer randomly restarting. Ran memtest got 51000+ errors. Now I'm looking for new ram.

Just need some suggestions for new ram (1 gig, 2x512). Appearently my motherboard doesnt support dual channel, but it doesnt really matter to me. I've read some of the ram suggestions for AMD64 machines and I didn't want to hijack someone's thread, so here I am.

I'd like to keep it under 250$ for the gig. I've heard some bad things about OCZ so don't suggest them. I am using WinXP pro on my machine as well.

Thanks in advance.

Check out Newegg for Simpletech Nitro Dual Channel kits I love my pc3700 and I have seen some great reviews on it. They have 3200, 3500, 3700, adn 4000 I beleive so you can choose from those!

If you picked up that RAM on a website or store, whatever, return it and get two more sticks. The RAM being advertised as Dual Channel just means that both of the sticks are matched, so even though your board doesn't support dual channel doesn't mean those sticks shouldn't work. I wouldn't drop a bunch of cash on new RAM when you should be able to return that stuff, because it is obviously bad. Most likely just one of the sticks is bad, so take one out at a time and memtest each separately to see which is.

^sounds right. just because they are sold as a matched pair doesn't mean you cant use them with a non-dual channel mobo.

FiZ said:
If you picked up that RAM on a website or store, whatever, return it and get two more sticks. The RAM being advertised as Dual Channel just means that both of the sticks are matched, so even though your board doesn't support dual channel doesn't mean those sticks shouldn't work. I wouldn't drop a bunch of cash on new RAM when you should be able to return that stuff, because it is obviously bad. Most likely just one of the sticks is bad, so take one out at a time and memtest each separately to see which is.

I ran memtest on both (seperately) of them came up with at least 100+ errors on each within the first 20 minutes. Hopefully I will be able to RMA quickly since the place I ordered it from (komusa.com) is only about a 40 minute drive from me. It wouldn't make sense if I were to ship it when I can drive to the place easily. I guess i'll stick with the this dual chan memory even though my motherboard doesnt support it.

I only experience memtest errors with my PC3200 ram and not my PC2100 on DIMM1, what gives? :confused:

When I first got my new A64 system (see sig.) I had all sorts of problems with the memory.

First of all, with the chipset that motherboard is running, it is very sensitive to memory timings. I actually had bad memory too, but after I got my stuff back from RMA it ran fine... but there was some things you should do to get it running rock solid. It has been sugested on many other boards that if you run two sticks of memory with that chipset, use slots 1 and 3 and set the memory voltage to 2.7.

I would suggest this first and see if that fixes anything. If not, then try the RMA thing, no sence in buying new ram if you can get an RMA.

If the RMA things fails I would look into Geil or Corsair. Geil is much cheaper and not nearly as high quality, but I have tested some in my system and it works just fine.

reflex33 said:
When I first got my new A64 system (see sig.) I had all sorts of problems with the memory.

First of all, with the chipset that motherboard is running, it is very sensitive to memory timings. I actually had bad memory too, but after I got my stuff back from RMA it ran fine... but there was some things you should do to get it running rock solid. It has been sugested on many other boards that if you run two sticks of memory with that chipset, use slots 1 and 3 and set the memory voltage to 2.7.

I would suggest this first and see if that fixes anything. If not, then try the RMA thing, no sence in buying new ram if you can get an RMA.

If the RMA things fails I would look into Geil or Corsair. Geil is much cheaper and not nearly as high quality, but I have tested some in my system and it works just fine.

Just tried a stick at 2.7 mem voltage, still get memory errors. Guess the memory is bad.

Back