5820K overclock stability?

rack04

n00b
I just upgraded my main system from Z77 with 3770k to X99 with 5820k. I've done a lot of reading about how to overclock the Haswell-E processors but I'm struggling to get a stable 4.5Ghz overclock using AIDA64 stability test.

Here are the details of my new system:

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-3
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K LGA 2011-3
Cooler: Corsair H105 w/ (4) EK-Vardar F3-120
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP 2GB
Solid State Drive: Crucial M4 2.5" 128GB SATA III
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Power Supply: Corsair TX Series 650W ATX 80 Plus Bronze
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi w/ (5) GELID FN-PX14-12

All motherboard drivers and bios are the latest versions from ASRock website. Here are the settings that I changed from default bios settings:

CPU Ratio: All Core
All Core: 45
BCLK Frequency: 100
Load XMP Setting: XMP 2.0 Profile 1
CPU Vcore Voltage Mode: Override
CPU Vcore: 1.25-1.40
CPU C3 State Support: Enabled
Enhanced Halt State(C1E): Enabled

I have varied the Vcore from 1.25v-1.40v and I'm still not able to get it stable using AIDA64 system stability test. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

I run my 5820K at 4.4 with 1.3v using the system below all day long. At 4.5 I start having stability issues when testing with AIDA64. I think that's just the limits of my particular chip. I haven't tried upping the voltage any higher, because I just don't see the need. 4.4Ghz seems pretty damn fast for everything I do.

You run a H105 (2x120mm AIO) at 4.5 GHz and 1.4 volts and expect stability. I don't know what gave you the impression that a H105 was capable of cooling that kind of load, post us a your steady state temps, I'm curious, but I bet you're in the red.

you need a better cooler, if 4.5 stable is even possible for your chip (hardly a guarantee).

You run a H105 (2x120mm AIO) at 4.5 GHz and 1.4 volts and expect stability. I don't know what gave you the impression that a H105 was capable of cooling that kind of load, post us a your steady state temps, I'm curious, but I bet you're in the red.

you need a better cooler, if 4.5 stable is even possible for your chip (hardly a guarantee).

Highest temp recorded after 30 minutes of AIDA64 at 4.5GHz with 1.4v was 76 degrees C. Idle temps were in the 30s.

Try lowering your overclock to 4.4GHz or even 4.3GHz. It could be your CPU craps out at a certain frequency. My 5820K only needs 1.2v @ 4.4GHz but needs a lot more at 4.5GHz.

My strategy is to set the vcore to 1.3v override and step down from 4.5GHz by 100MHz until I find a combo that is stable. I'm down to 4.2GHz at 1.3v and it's still not stable.

I have finally settled in on a stable overclock. Here are my settings:

All Core: 44
CPU Cache Ratio:30
CPU Vcore: 1.300
CPU Input Voltage: Fixed
Fixed Voltage: 1.900

Everything else remains at default settings.

I have read that the CPU Cache Ratio should be as close to the CPU Ratio as possible. My first attempt was to raise the CPU Cache Ratio to 33 but AIDA64 crashed within 10 minutes. I assume this means that I need to increase the CPU Cache Voltage but I'm not sure what the safe limits are. Can anyone provide any valuable input? Thanks.

I run stable at 4.5 on my 5820k. I have not run AIDA64 but I have encoded a ton without issue. My corsair H110 fans were changed out for some Noiseblocker PK-3 and my case fans were changed to Noctua NH14 PWM so everything is cool and quiet unless I'm doing long encoding sessions. I think the highest temp I have seen was 65C when encoding for almost 8 hours.

At first I had instability at 4.5 and vcore @1.275 (adaptive) but only when encoding. Gaming and everything else was not a problem. I then increased the CPU input voltage until stable which settled at 1.91V. I also increased System Agent Voltage by giving it an offset of 0.100V as needed so it would increase under load. I like making my voltages adaptive so I do not run hotter than I need to when doing less intense activities. The system was stable after those two changes.

As long as the system is stable for the tasks I do I could care less about any Prime or AIDA stable crap. Speaking of which do not try Prime on Haswell-E, it causes it to pull a lot more voltage than you set and the temps run rampant. I hope AIDA is not the same.

I have finally settled in on a stable overclock. Here are my settings:

All Core: 44
CPU Cache Ratio:30
CPU Vcore: 1.300
CPU Input Voltage: Fixed
Fixed Voltage: 1.900

Everything else remains at default settings.

I have read that the CPU Cache Ratio should be as close to the CPU Ratio as possible. My first attempt was to raise the CPU Cache Ratio to 33 but AIDA64 crashed within 10 minutes. I assume this means that I need to increase the CPU Cache Voltage but I'm not sure what the safe limits are. Can anyone provide any valuable input? Thanks.

Necro bump - but just wanted to thank you for posting these settings. I've built two white box VMware ESXi 6.0.0.0 U1 boxes using these specs and a solid 4.4 GHz OC.

ASRock X99 Extreme4 Motherboard
Intel i7-5820K 6-core CPU (OC'd to 4.4 GHz)
Corsair H110i GT Liquid Cooler
64GB G.Skill Ripsjaws 4 DDR4 (F4-2133C15Q-32GRR)
EVGA 550W G2 PSU
Samsung 850 Pro SSDs
MSI GeForce GTX 750
Corsair Obsidian 450D Case

Back