5850 CF vs. GTX 260c216 Tri SLI

new@this

Weaksauce
I have the option to buy a 3rd 260 for tri sli or to sell my 260's and get 2 5850's for CF. I am running a i7 920 at 3.8 Ghz. Cost is no factor, what should I do if I want the best possible performance? Gaming on a 1920x1080 32" Panasonic Viera s1 TV.

5850 CF of course. Though it'll still be a bit much until more demanding games are put out. Overkill is in the mind of the beholder.

5850 CF of course. Though it'll still be a bit much until more demanding games are put out. Overkill is in the mind of the beholder.
he has the cpu to back it up and its certainly not overkill for a few games if he wants to crank the settings.

definitely definitely definitely 5850s cf. they are such awesome cards. you should be able to get a pair for just over 500 if you look around and there isn't a better cpu to multi gpu on than the i7, so play with it :p

5850s as i believe i remeber reading quite a bit that tri sli has alot of scaling issues along with driver issues. But again like somone else said if cost is no issue 5870's or a 5970 would be great. Imho the 2x260s should hold you over till later this year when "allegedly" new derivatives of Nvidias Fermi and Ati's evergreen are supposed to be coming about.

Don't quote me on that last part

cost is no factor then 3x watercooled 480s and buy a bigger monitor.

cost is no factor then 3x watercooled 480s and buy a bigger monitor.

Does the water cool them or they boil the water?

and learn to read, the OP obviously said cost for 5850CF vs the cost for 260 tri sli is not a factor.

I have the option to buy a 3rd 260 for tri sli or to sell my 260's and get 2 5850's for CF. I am running a i7 920 at 3.8 Ghz. Cost is no factor, what should I do if I want the best possible performance? Gaming on a 1920x1080 32" Panasonic Viera s1 TV.

cost not being the deciding point here then the crossfire 5850. Going TRI GPU (any kind) is almost ALWAYS going to net you less then two better gpus, or even gpus of the same caliber. (its actually possible to reduce your performance by adding a third and forth card depending on the game and drivers)

and learn to read, the OP obviously said cost for 5850CF vs the cost for 260 tri sli is not a factor.
Cost is no factor, what should I do if I want the best possible performance?
What he said is quite clear. If he had said "which of these" then you might have an argument, but he didn't.

Does the water cool them or they boil the water?
Are you ignorant about water cooling or is this a lame attempt at a joke?

Sorry I wasn't clear on the "cost is no factor" comment, I was referring to the two options only between tri sli and xfire 5850s. I just think 2 5870s might be overkill for mh resolution. I've decided on the 2 5850s I think, thanks for the advice!

Sorry I wasn't clear on the "cost is no factor" comment, I was referring to the two options only between tri sli and xfire 5850s. I just think 2 5870s might be overkill for mh resolution. I've decided on the 2 5850s I think, thanks for the advice!

Np, enjoy the 5850s! :)

late to the thread, but you'll love the 5850's. The only problem with mine is now I want to go crossfire and 3 monitors for eyefinity.

5850s in Crossfire will crush most games at that resolution. Enjoy! :D

I agree with 2x 5850's, just a solid setup, should crush anything and get you DX11, time to move on past the 260's when you have the budget.

5850 CF for sure if you can get them at around 250 each
Otherwise get a 5950 since they retail for 599

get the CF setup, because then you can eve more 5850s... I plan on getting one myselft, though i just bought a SSD... and well dont want to talk about it hehehe

5850 CF for sure if you can get them at around 250 each
Otherwise get a 5950 since they retail for 599

Dude calling one 5970 a 5850 is uncool and wrong since a 5970 has the same amount of shaders than a 2x5870

get the CF setup, because then you can eve more 5850s... I plan on getting one myselft, though i just bought a SSD... and well dont want to talk about it hehehe

Dude calling one 5970 a 5850 is uncool and wrong since a 5970 has the same amount of shaders than a 2x5870

I think he was saying 2x 5850's in cross fire or 1x 5970 whichever can be found cheaper

Ok well after receiving my two Gigabyte 5850 reference cards tonight I quickly installed them and updated the appropriate 10.3 drivers and installed CCC. Everything seems to run fine except for two glaring problems:

1. After setting screen res. to 1920x1080 the window does NOT fill the entire screen. I run a 32" TV and there is a 1/4" black border horizontally and a 1/2" border vertically.

2. Text is blurry. I am thinking this may be linked to my first problem....

I played a bit of BC2 and the framerates are much better than my 260's. But the horrible text and the lack of fullscreen are a problem. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated!

I forget where, but in catalyst control center you can adjust the screen size so it fills up the monitor. It's called "overscan" I believe, And yes, the blurry text is probably because of stretched pixels.

Ok well after receiving my two Gigabyte 5850 reference cards tonight I quickly installed them and updated the appropriate 10.3 drivers and installed CCC. Everything seems to run fine except for two glaring problems:

1. After setting screen res. to 1920x1080 the window does NOT fill the entire screen. I run a 32" TV and there is a 1/4" black border horizontally and a 1/2" border vertically.

2. Text is blurry. I am thinking this may be linked to my first problem....

I played a bit of BC2 and the framerates are much better than my 260's. But the horrible text and the lack of fullscreen are a problem. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated!

Manually add a custom resolution & refresh rate in CCC, or look for the overscan option.
Also try different connections DVI-DSUB DVI DP and lastly HDMI (problematic)

Awesome, awesome. Found the problem in CCC, had to adjust the scaling is all. It's been a while since I have had ATI cards but I like what I'm seeing so far, these games are flying!

What games are you playing, and if you have Crysis, whats your frame rate like at max settings?

Back