64 bit windows question!

Ron1jed

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a petium 4 chip . and i have a copy of windows pro 64 bit. I just installed the 64 bit one and everything seems to be working fine. Will this 64 bit verison of windows be a problem with my p4 chip? p4 775 3.0 chip. :)

Like. ... just help me out. i did a serach for it and haven't found much info on it.

Like whats the MAIN difference. 32 and 64. Isn't it true that most programs dont' take advantage ofthe 64 bit.

Well, your original question was "Will this 64 bit verison of windows be a problem with my p4 chip?" so roninblade said it wouldn't be.

As for your new question - the 64-bit Windows XP uses a newer NT kernel than the regular Windows XP 32-bit edition. It's based on Windows 2003 Service Pack 1. XP-64 can also address more memory (32-bit XP can address up to 4 GB of memory, 64-bit technically allows Windows to access 2^64-1 bytes of RAM or 18 exabytes, though I think the current upper limit allowed is 128 GB).

Besides that, unless an application is compiled for 64-bit, they won't benefit at all from being run on a 64-bit processor.

BillLeeLee said:
Well, your original question was "Will this 64 bit verison of windows be a problem with my p4 chip?" so roninblade said it wouldn't be.

As for your new question - the 64-bit Windows XP uses a newer NT kernel than the regular Windows XP 32-bit edition. It's based on Windows 2003 Service Pack 1. XP-64 can also address more memory (32-bit XP can address up to 4 GB of memory, 64-bit technically allows Windows to access 2^64-1 bytes of RAM or 18 exabytes, though I think the current upper limit allowed is 128 GB).

Besides that, unless an application is compiled for 64-bit, they won't benefit at all from being run on a 64-bit processor.

The limit of all MS workstation OS's is 4GB.

Period.

Just because it can address terrabytes...doesn't mean it is allowed to.

BBA said:
The limit of all MS workstation OS's is 4GB.

Period.

Just because it can address terrabytes...doesn't mean it is allowed to.

Incorrect. 32-bit programs in x64 are limited to 4gb JUST TO THEMSELVES. 64-bit progams can use 8gb 16gb.. whatever they want. Take a look at panorama factory and how the x64 version uses more than 4gb.

Ron1jed said:
I have a petium 4 chip . and i have a copy of windows pro 64 bit. I just installed the 64 bit one and everything seems to be working fine. Will this 64 bit verison of windows be a problem with my p4 chip? p4 775 3.0 chip. :)
If you can run x64, then your processor supports 64 bit processing. If it can do that, then you will have no trouble from a hardware perspective. The only problems you will encounter is lack of support for 64 bit computing though. That is the major turnoff.

SOO ahh. brain freeze. i don't understand...like

So amd chips aren't the only ones they have the 64 bit prossoccer?

Ron1jed said:
SOO ahh. brain freeze. i don't understand...like

So amd chips aren't the only ones they have the 64 bit prossoccer?

No, Intel also has 64-bit processors that are almost completely compatible with AMD's 64-bit processors (the EMT64 extensions). However, only some of them have 64-bit capabilities, unlike all of AMD's Athlon64 and Opteron lines.

Heck, I don't even know what Intel processors are 64-bit now, they have so many P4 and Xeon designations now.

Back