6600 to 6400, reinstall OS?

WickedWeasel

Limp Gawd
Has anyone removed an E6600 from a gigabyte DS3 board, and replaced it with an E6400 without having to re-install WinXP Pro? Will WinXP Pro simply make the "new hardware" adjustments upon bootup and everything will work perfectly?

I suppose so (you may need to reactivate Windows, but probably not even that).
I've replaced my Athlon 1400 with an 1800+ a few years back, and Windows XP Pro just kept working, new CPU detected automatically.

It may (most likely not) just say that it's found new hardware (CPU) and have you reboot once... That's it... Now if it was the mobo+CPU, that's another story... :eek:

no problem but why "downgrade", unless is overclocks MUCH MUCH MORE

my e6600 @ 3Ghz is about as fast as e6300/6400's at like 3.15Ghz + or - (depending on app.) b/c of the larger cache.

mzs_biteme said:
It may (most likely not) just say that it's found new hardware (CPU) and have you reboot once... That's it... Now if it was the mobo+CPU, that's another story... :eek:

Depends on chipset :)

If both boards have the same family chipset (with common driver) then no need to reinstall either :)

I switched from E6400 to E6300 w/o even resetting CMOS & booted straight into Windows @ my old E6400's 3402 MHz OC :D

Not that i'd recommend that, but really, there should be no issues just switching CPUs.

kiwi.fruit said:
Depends on chipset :)

If both boards have the same family chipset (with common driver) then no need to reinstall either :)

But you may have to re-activate... Chipset may be the same, but the other stuff (SATA, Raid, NIC) maybe totally different and XP will ask to to re-activate. ;)

He never said anything about swapping boards...just CPU and there is no problem with that.

CPU swaps work just fine and do not require a reinstall of windows. It will just detect the new speed and work perfectly.

CPU swaps (like memory swaps) are easy and require no reinstall :)

Back