7600/MB combo for $325 or 5600/MB combo for $210.

PilotKD

Limp Gawd
My intent was to build a budget gaming rig with my 13 year old son. I am about to pick up a few items I reserved from Micro Center:

AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Challenger Pro Overclocked Triple Fan 12 GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card
TOTAL: $339.99
B550M Pro4 AMD AM4 microATX Motherboard
TOTAL: $89.99
Ryzen 5 5600 Vermeer 3.5GHz 6-Core AM4 Boxed Processor - Wraith Stealth Cooler Included
TOTAL: $119.99

I am hearing rumors though that the 7600 will go on sale for $199 with an AM5 ASrock board at $125. Should I go for the AM5 for an extra $125-150 with DDR5?

The 7600 is way faster than the 5600, not even close. I'm running a 7600 in the ASRock B650m HDV/m.2 with 32GB of bare A-dies at 6400mt/s and it works great.

For the GPU, Amazon has the 6800 non-XT for $379 which might be worth the extra $40 over the 6750XT.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wound up grabbing the 7600 for $199 and ASrock B650M-HDV/M.2 for $119 at Micro Center tonight. I stayed with the 6750 XT I listed above. I didn't want to go much over my budget. Threw in a SAMSUNG E 1TB 980PRO for $75 and a MSI MAG A750GL for $75. He'll just need a case and some RAM, but that'll come later. This kid is getting hooked up due to my obscession! :-/

Wound up grabbing the 7600 for $199 and ASrock B650M-HDV/M.2 for $119 at Micro Center tonight. I stayed with the 6750 XT I listed above. I didn't want to go much over my budget. Threw in a SAMSUNG E 1TB 980PRO for $75 and a MSI MAG A750GL for $75. He'll just need a case and some RAM, but that'll come later. This kid is getting hooked up due to my obscession! :-/

Thats a good combo, much better choice than the AM4 setup.

With DDR5 prices as low as they currently are, it's a no-brainer to get the kid 32 GB of DDR5-5200 or faster RAM for that build as that amount of DDR5 RAM now costs just a few dollars more than the DDR4 RAM that you would have gotten had you chose the 5600 instead of the 7600.

Did you price match first? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dq4Zxr/asrock-b650m-hdvm2-micro-atx-am5-motherboard-b650m-hdvm2
Also, there should be a combo deal for 20 more dollars off of the motherboard, which you can get them to take off even if it's an open box motherboard.

And speaking of open box motherboards and RAM, make sure you check that section. You can save a LOT of money. Most of my current build is open box:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gCLygB

I saved more than half the price on the motherboard (which I got them to take $20 off of for the combo deal with the CPU), almost half the price of the RAM, a few hundred dollars off of the GPU, and then got the CPU cooler for half off as well. Probably around $500+ in savings.

To give you an idea of what you CAN save (this was a while ago):

1700388576116.png

Imagine getting the motherboard for $27 after the combo deal lol.

Did you price match first? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dq4Zxr/asrock-b650m-hdvm2-micro-atx-am5-motherboard-b650m-hdvm2
Also, there should be a combo deal for 20 more dollars off of the motherboard, which you can get them to take off even if it's an open box motherboard.

And speaking of open box motherboards and RAM, make sure you check that section. You can save a LOT of money. Most of my current build is open box:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gCLygB

I saved more than half the price on the motherboard (which I got them to take $20 off of for the combo deal with the CPU), almost half the price of the RAM, a few hundred dollars off of the GPU, and then got the CPU cooler for half off as well. Probably around $500+ in savings.

To give you an idea of what you CAN save (this was a while ago):

View attachment 614640

Imagine getting the motherboard for $27 after the combo deal lol.

I may return the HDV board and go with the Pro RS board. I didn't realize that the HDV board doesn't have an RGB controller. I'd like RGB for my son. He doesn't need WiFi since our house has LAN jacks in just about every room, but it may be nice to have later on. The Pro RS is $15 more on Newegg.

I may return the HDV board and go with the Pro RS board. I didn't realize that the HDV board doesn't have an RGB controller. I'd like RGB for my son. He doesn't need WiFi since our house has LAN jacks in just about every room, but it may be nice to have later on. The Pro RS is $15 more on Newegg.

RGB software pretty much sucks, I've been using this on mine and its great with no extra layer of bs that needs to start up every time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZCNPNV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So this can be used if the MB doesn't have an RGB header?

You could use this thing for RGB in your house too, its just a sata power to a receiver. Its not as easy as a slider to adjust the colors but it works fine if you don't want to change it every 5 minutes. Was just an idea.

Back