7800GTX reaching high temps

Kaiga

Gawd
The PC I am about to speak of is in my sig, just to point that out.
well, for some reason, today, I brought my OC up a little more (about 88MHz more), about, ran CPU burn in, everything went fine. I have lots of cooling running on this system, some of you may not believe it, but this thing is keeping cool because I am running alot of fans, and I live in a cold basement, and I have an air condintioning vent blowing on all my pcs.

now, for some reason, this little 88MHz oc, from the origional 2800MHz on my 3800+ is bringing my 7800's temp up with a huge gap. I have set it back to 2800MHz to keep the temps stable.
but this is only 88MHz more and my card temps jumped from 58C (on full load) all the way up to 73C on medium load. what is up with this? i went ahead and redirected my airconditioing funnel away from my other PCs, and narrowed the end of it a bit and let it blow directly onto the card. that only brought it down to 70C, so I ask what is up with this? this is only a little OC, of 88MHz, yet my 7800's temps are really high. 58C full load to 70 on medium with a cold air-con. blowing on it.
and as I said I reset it back to 2800MHz to be safe.

then I must have a good cooling setup. but the thing is, I want to know why its getting such high temps off a low increase of 88mhz and raises temps like that.

Kaiga said:
then I must have a good cooling setup. but the thing is, I want to know why its getting such high temps off a low increase of 88mhz and raises temps like that.

Testing inconsistencies....

You must use a program that will show/record the max temps you reach....stopping an app and dropping back to the desktop to check the temps, is bad, the card temps drop instantly as soon as the load is removed. Not to mention a game like Quake3 barely even stresses the card, I only see mid 50's temps in taht game, as compared to Far Cry running HDR, gets my card into the upper 70's...

Rivatuner has a spiffy timeline based temp viewer.....

thanks, I will check that out. but thats still not the problem, I want to see if I can get that 88MHz clock back without my card heating up like that. I mean, I run ALOT of processes in the background, I run Ad-aware, and AntiVir scanning to put load on it, but only at mecium load, the card gets hot. its mostly not the load thats making it hot, its that 88 OC doing that. I bet if I were to move my PC upstairs away from these cold air vents, I bet the temps would raise to unstable temps, unless I bring my OC down.

Back