7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

A note from the GN video, chip swapping without reinstalling the OS causes some weird core problems with these X3D chips, parking some of the cores that should not be parked.
Who in their right mind is swapping chips without fresh installing? That's just asking for a host of problems...

I did, and I'll do it again too!

download.png

I used the same Windows 7 to windows 10 install from my X79, X99, to X299 upgrades. This ain't my daddy's old Windows.

To be fair, I fresh installed Windows 10 when I went with my 5800X3D and X570S.
Y'all are crazy lol. Meanwhile I practically reinstall every 6 months...

Who in their right mind is swapping chips without fresh installing? That's just asking for a host of problems...
I did it recently without issue, I did re-install the chipset drivers after installing but from what I read that wasn't really even necessary.

The only thing that holds me back now is having less time. Previously as soon as I felt "hey...PC seems to be slower than normal" or "things feel unstable all of a sudden," I would have to decide between troubleshooting or a reformat/reinstall windows. I would pick the reformat. But yeah, I still don't change a MB/CPU/GPU/RAM without a full reformat/reinstall personally.

waste of time. i have an install of w10 on a ssd thats been swapped between at least 20 different configs, works fine. my personal rig started as a win7 beta and i have upgraded it to 8, 8.1, 10 and now 11, AND its been back and forth between intel and amd 3 times, equaling 8 chips and 4 board changes. works fine.
edit: to stay on topic, i like the improvements but im waiting for 8000 series. let them get more kinks worked out and more of a perf bump.

Last edited:
This thread is a reverse of one that was awaiting the release of the AMD Bulldozer chips. This guy AMDGuy (or similar) was just hyping and hyping these chips to the heavens and then the reviews came out and we never heard from him again.

It was most amusing.

Couldn’t sleep because I don’t do well with waking up early and the anxiety that goes along with that, so I decided instead of waiting in bed, to wait at Microcenter. Probably the most pathetic thing I’ve ever done 😂

I bet no one will show up until a couple hours before opening.
C64ABE40-AC37-46C3-B18B-87B8DC9CAEA8.jpeg

Couldn’t sleep because I don’t do well with waking up early and the anxiety that goes along with that, so I decided instead of waiting in bed, to wait at Microcenter. Probably the most pathetic thing I’ve ever done 😂

View attachment 562033
Meh, not pathetic at all if you really want to be certain to get something. :D I remember waiting for Windows 95 at CompUSA in a several hundred person line :ROFLMAO:!

Meh, not pathetic at all if you really want to be certain to get something. :D I remember waiting for Windows 95 at CompUSA in a several hundred person line :ROFLMAO:!
Thanks for that! I just don’t want to wait any longer to finish my build, and I don’t want to compromise on a different processor, so yeah, doing what I can to make it happen!

Man I remember CompUSA!

Do people really camp out for CPUs now? I was planning on going 15mins early like I did for the 5800X3D.
I thought they might, Reddit is littered with posts asking when it’s being released and how early they should go etc etc.

I’m sure it varies a lot based off of location as well.

The 7950 sold out instantly and has been sold out since release. The 7800 is no doubt going to be more popular, so it stands to reason that the same thing should happen. We’ll see.

I’m going to the MN Micro Center at around 9AM or so (opens at 10AM). The 7950X3D lasted until 5-6PM. I’m thinking with the lower price the 7800X3D has a shot at selling out by noon. Just depends on stock. Should be more plentiful I’d think…

I’m going to the MN Micro Center at around 9AM or so (opens at 10AM). The 7950X3D lasted until 5-6PM. I’m thinking with the lower price the 7800X3D has a shot at selling out by noon. Just depends on stock. Should be more plentiful I’d think…
I think stock is supposed to be pretty good, I heard that slower stores have around 50 of them and busier stores near 150. This was just information from randoms on reddit, so not sure how accurate it is.

Dude same here. But when your programmer neighbor calls you a nerd, it makes you question things lol.
Haha there are all kinds. I don’t get along with programmers that much, they’re kinda like artists. Not my jive.

How is it any different than waiting for anything you want badly? In my case the cpu isn’t just an upgrade, it’s the key to unlock my entire PC. 🤷‍♂️
My father escaped Communist Cuba... lines are a bad thing to us I guess. I don't do lines, unless I'm at friggin Disney or something. Even then I hate it with every fiber of my being.

i've had the same OS since my R5 1600, it's been through 5 different processors and 4 different motherboards without any issues.. it's not the XP days anymore, needing to re-install an OS from changing hardware isn't really a thing anymore.

Yeah, I went from an Intel 5960X on x99 platform to an AMD 5950X on X570 platform on Windows 10 and never reinstalled. That carried me for a year or so without a single problem until I did a brand new install of Windows 11 on a new nvme drive.

Hell I am more excited that my MC has raspberry Pi 4 in stock today. To bad they will be probably sold out by the time I get off work.

Too bad the Dam Grille isn't open all night, you could've just munched on chicken cheese steaks and pounded beers while you waited.

Back