7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

The whole "best gaming CPU" thing is like having the best fullback in the NFL. It matters, but depending on your resolution and GPU you might never see the difference between the best vs. something pretty average. I know that it can be a big deal in a few games and I guess there are people that want to build a whole new system but still want to roll at 1080p, but it's still pretty niche.
Well that's been the case for awhile. Didn't stop people from really playing up Intel whenever it was 5% ahead in gaming, however. Why stop now?

Just a big warning: ASRock apparently does not yet support the 7800X3D on their motherboards. No warning from ASRock - people just found out after the fact that when ASRock updated their BIOS versions to support the X3D chips, they updated one AGESA version behind the other makers, which excluded the 7800X3D. Will have to return the motherboard I got and go with another maker if they don't have a new BIOS out by time I am ready.

Just a big warning: ASRock apparently does not yet support the 7800X3D on their motherboards. No warning from ASRock - people just found out after the fact that when ASRock updated their BIOS versions to support the X3D chips, they updated one AGESA version behind the other makers, which excluded the 7800X3D. Will have to return the motherboard I got and go with another maker if they don't have a new BIOS out by time I am ready.
Mine works fine - ASRock X670E Taichi. Deets here - https://hardforum.com/threads/7800x...ilure-of-a-cpu.2026614/page-6#post-1045621299.

If anybody has a NZXT AIO like myself, you can request an AM5 bracket here:

https://support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/articles/8315643109019-Will-NZXT-Provide-an-AM5-bracket-
DUDE! Good looking out. I guess I have been ridin' dirty since the AM5's launch, lol. I am sure the "risk of damage to components" is just the higher temps due to not having as good of contact as it could have. This is great! Submitted! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hmm that is odd. ASRock responded to a support ticket from someone confirming that their latest 1.18 BIOS (which is on all their motherboards) does not support the 7800X3D, which is what they show on their support pages for all the MBs too:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E Taichi/index.asp#CPU

Wonder if there are more reports anywhere of success with the 7800X3D on ASrock MBs.

Hmm that is odd. ASRock responded to a support ticket from someone confirming that their latest 1.18 BIOS (which is on all their motherboards) does not support the 7800X3D, which is what they show on their support pages for all the MBs too:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E Taichi/index.asp#CPU

Wonder if there are more reports anywhere of success with the 7800X3D on ASrock MBs.
Yup that’s one I’m running - 1.18. I guess I’m lucky or something. ASRock has always been really good with BIOS updates so I wouldn’t sweat it too much. My Taichi is my favorite AM5 board out of 4 that I own.

I got mine orderd via BB yesterday. I got $10 off for being a totaltech member and I had a $10 reward cert, so I almost got tax covered. I thought about going to MC here, but I'll keep the savings and build next weekend. My brother got his at Newegg and he got $6 next day shipping so he is building a new rig this weekend. Coming from a 1900X TR build with an RX 6800 to the 7800X3D and a 4090, I hope he notices a difference...:)

Your own chart shows the 12900k at 98w.
Exaggeration, but the 13900k is much higher than the 12900k. And both are significantly higher than the 5800X3D/7800X3D. Now yes, more cores, clock speeds yada yada, but we're talking gaming performance. The point of the comment was that no, the 7800X3D isn't leaving performance on the table for the sake of lower wattage.

This thing is a solid 20+% faster than the 5800X3D when cpu limited. Really glad I didn't bother with dropping in a 5800X3D over my 5800X and instead put the money towards a 7800X3D. Also leaves me with room to upgrade to Zen 5/6 V Cache.

You spent more than 20% for +20% and now and have Gen 1 AM5 hardware. I'm glad I went with the drop-in upgrade while things get refined and prices stabilize for the next few years. Enjoy though.

You spent more than 20% for +20% and now and have Gen 1 AM5 hardware. I'm glad I went with the drop-in upgrade while things get refined and prices stabilize for the next few years. Enjoy though.
This is also my plan, upgrade to 5800X3D as others upgrade to 7000 series. I started with a 2600X on an ASUS Crosshair VII and upgraded to a 3800X from a fellow Hardforum member. Been cost effective after buying a solid motherboard. Glad AMD kept socket AM4 for so long, hopefully the same with AM5.

I made money moving from AM4 to AM5. It’s not very smart to wait unless you simply don’t want to put in the effort - which I understand. All part of the hobby for me.

I made money moving from AM4 to AM5. It’s not very smart to wait unless you simply don’t want to put in the effort - which I understand. All part of the hobby for me.
Some may have more disposable income than others.

I never saw the 5800x3d as a clear upgrade over my 5800x because of the frequency issue. But this is a clear upgrade all the way around. Glad I waited. This plus a 7900XTX I think is in my future.

I made money moving so it had zero cost. My old hardware sold for more money than I paid for the Micro Center $599.99 combo.
That's great for you and I mean it but most of us aren't lucky enough to have a MC within driving distance. When I worked it out jumping to AM5 with 7800x3d would have cost me a minimum of $500 more than upgrading to a 5800x3d(including a new cooler and memory).

Don't get me wrong the 7800x3d is a great cpu and if it had launched with the other 3d cache 7000 series I might have even gone that route but for most of us there is some extra cost involved. I also don't like dealing with selling my old stuff so I don't end up recouping anything there.

Actually no I did not. I sold my old X570 stuff to offset the cost so I actually spent about the same amount of money for 20% more performance.

I am the best of all. I'm building a whole new gaming PC without using (or selling) anything of the other one (though I need to work on it - stability problems somewhere). Keeping it next to me so I can play more tactical multiplayer games where I typically hold a defense position (so long periods without action), and at the same time play a singleplayer game next to me while waiting for the enemy to show up in the other game :) How is that for a waste of money!

But although I am not joking about the above, this actually frees up my current third (non-gaming PC) for dedicated 24/7 things I want to run on it. Figured I should just pay some more to build a new X3D CPU while I am at it since I play games where it highly benefits, and use my oldest PC for the utility things, instead of overpaying for a cheaper non-gaming PC and still not have an X3D.

EDIT:
I will add though that the 5800X3D is a great value - the problem is AM4 has USB disconnect issues that were never resolved. It's a permanently unstable platform. So far I haven't seen any AM5 issues, at least ones relevant to me, that don't already have ways to avoid them.

I am the best of all. I'm building a whole new gaming PC without using (or selling) anything of the other one (though I need to work on it - stability problems somewhere). Keeping it next to me so I can play more tactical multiplayer games where I typically hold a defense position (so long periods without action), and at the same time play a singleplayer game next to me while waiting for the enemy to show up in the other game :) How is that for a waste of money!

But although I am not joking about the above, this actually frees up my current third (non-gaming PC) for dedicated 24/7 things I want to run on it. Figured I should just pay some more to build a new X3D CPU while I am at it since I play games where it highly benefits, and use my oldest PC for the utility things, instead of overpaying for a cheaper non-gaming PC and still not have an X3D.

EDIT:
I will add though that the 5800X3D is a great value - the problem is AM4 has USB disconnect issues that were never resolved. It's a permanently unstable platform. So far I haven't seen any AM5 issues, at least ones relevant to me, that don't already have ways to avoid them.
Out of curiosity - which games? Sounds cool. Sounds like how I played PlanetSide back in the day lol.

Out of curiosity - which games? Sounds cool. Sounds like how I played PlanetSide back in the day lol.
I try out many strategy/sim games over time, but the ones that I always go back to are Paradox games (with heavy mods): Stellaris, Europa Universalis IV, Victoria (though I am mainly waiting for Victoria 3 to get more content before I buy it - Victoria 2 has too many old/legacy design issues now). Will probably buy Imperator too once it finally comes down in price. They stopped developing it, so not going to buy it until it is cheap for all the DLC. Not a big fan of Crusader Kings 2, but maybe will try that series again much later in CK3 development.

According to others, those highly utilize the cache.

I am eventually going to get into the X3 and/or X4 series, but haven't had time to set aside to learn X3, and waiting for a big sale on X4. Supposedly those use the cache a lot too.

EDIT:
If you mean the multiplayer games. Was playing a lot of Rising Storm 2 but kind of getting tired of it. Playing Holdfast WW1/Frontlines mode a lot lately, but it is only active at certain times. Might try Hell Let Loose again - but that has been hit and miss when I have played before. Might be just a matter of learning it more.

I know some people had some real issues with that but I don't think it's that common, at least in any meaningful way. I do think it's why once in every twenty times or so my keyboard won't be recognized on a restart but it never happens on a cold boot and unplugging it and then plugging it back in again always fixes it. I'd hardly call the platform unstable over it.

I made money moving so it had zero cost. My old hardware sold for more money than I paid for the Micro Center $599.99 combo.
Exactly the same in my situation. Sold my AM4 gear and actually made money moving to AM5. Yes I put in some effort, started with a 7600x and free ram at Microcenter. But all part of the hobby for me. The Microcenter deals made it happen tho. Especially the 7900x deal they had.

Linus says this chip is faster in games than the 7900x3d and this is the best there is right now. Interesting.

That's great for you and I mean it but most of us aren't lucky enough to have a MC within driving distance. When I worked it out jumping to AM5 with 7800x3d would have cost me a minimum of $500 more than upgrading to a 5800x3d(including a new cooler and memory).

Don't get me wrong the 7800x3d is a great cpu and if it had launched with the other 3d cache 7000 series I might have even gone that route but for most of us there is some extra cost involved. I also don't like dealing with selling my old stuff so I don't end up recouping anything there.
Well said. It used to be like that with Fry's before they went belly up. You'd come onto Hardforum and everyone within driving distance of one during a big launch would make it impossible to discuss the cost/value of anything. We get it guys. If you live close to MC, you used your brains and went AM5. Congrats. I really hope MC doesn't go belly up as well. Can we be AMD friends again?

EDIT:
I never had any USB disconnect issues with my rig which is AM4 based.

I never did, either fwiw. Had two AM4 rigs for quite some time.

What speeds are you guys with 7800X3D boosting to? I am getting just over 5GHz as top end, averaging 4.65GHz over time.

same, have had no USB issues with my 3600x or my 5900x nor the 5800X3D that's in my fathers system or my friends kids system that now has my old 3600x and i'm using every single USB port + 4 port PCIe 1x card on my system. with the 3600x i was still using the 1.0.0.3ABB bios the entire time, lol. the only setting i've always manually set even during the XP days was disabling USB sleep on my desktops, but doubt that really matters.

I never did, either fwiw. Had two AM4 rigs for quite some time.

What speeds are you guys with 7800X3D boosting to? I am getting just over 5GHz as top end, averaging 4.65GHz over time.
numbers sound about right for what you should be hitting.
Lol. I had to because the trolls came out. Not sure what else to say. AM5 is such a steal right now it’s absurd to me that anyone would stick with a dead end platform.
it is, but i have no use for it so why not spend 300 dollars to upgrade my cpu over spending a grand+ to move to am5.. about the most load my system see's these days is plex transcoding which barely makes a dent with my 5900x and i mostly only play WOWS and IRacing because there isn't anything worth a damn right now to play that isn't designed for mindless 12 year olds.

FYI - same people that make Process Lasso have "ParkControl" - not as necessary for 7800X3D - but valuable for determining if you have a "clean" AMD driver install - https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/.

I'm also testing with my 7950X3D to see if I need to reinstall Windows 11.

7950X3D
IMG_1489.jpeg

7800X3D
IMG_1490.png

Above - gray means parked. Bottom line all looks good!

RE: https://hardforum.com/threads/7800x3d-will-be-an-utter-failure-of-a-cpu.2026614/page-6 doox00 - not using BIOS setting anymore for 7950X3D fyi.

Last edited:
"FYI - same people that make Process Lasso have "ParkControl" - not as necessary for 7800X3D - but valuable for determining if you have a "clean" AMD driver install - https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/." Best $150.00 purchase I've ever made was to get 3 PC lifetime licenses and by far the best process manager out there. Windoze should hire them to help refine their software process control.

Back