7900 GTX Artifacting and Random Freezing

neubspeed

Gawd
I purchased the eVGA Superclocked Edition of the 7900 GTX 512MB on Launch morning and got the card yesterday. It artifacts like mad in F.E.A.R, and I get hard freezes every 20 minutes or so in every game that go away after 15 seconds.

This happens ALL THE TIME, I tried opening the case and putting a fan on the card to lower temps, but the temps are well within range (42 idle, 64 load).

I tried all the drivers I could find (using 84.20 BETA now)
I tried all the chipset drivers I could find (6.85 is the newest available for SLI x16)
My power supply rails are solid and within regulation, and my 7800 GTX 256 mb worked great for months in the IDENTICAL setup (yeah I used driver cleaner before putting the new card in lol)

WELL, I just installed coolbits and lowered clocks to NV reference from Superclocked and the card works fine without any troubles. But hey, I paid the premium for a Superclocked version so I expected it to run at those speeds.

So, I called eVGA tech support and got some doorknob that says I have to wait until Monday to RMA the card and send the old card first (so I have NO video card for basically a week), and then I'll recieve the replacement by Friday. Complete and utter BS, I can't believe it, I have to live without a video card for my spring break because eVGA can't speed bin correctly. Does anyone else have this problem with Superclocked cards?

EDIT: For those that don't know, Superclocked versions are 690 mhz / 1760 mhz VS. 650 mhz / 1600 mhz for normal. So the jump is actually significant.

From the way eVGA handled this, I'm going XFX next time. :confused: :confused:

Wow! You must have gotten a bad egg, so to speak. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but it does happen. I'm sure eVGA is handeling it to the best of their ability, and they will make the situation right.

I concur, eVGA actually has pretty decent support.

I had to call them for my SLI board for an RMA and they were very helpful but since its a weekend.... both you and eVGA are in a shitty spot because nobody ships on weekends. If you ask them nice they will send you 3 day select UPS for free.

It's the weekend, what do you think they're going to do, ship it UPS SonicAir (same-day shipping 24/7)? Sucks to happen, yes you got a defective card I'm sure, but it's not like it can't happen with any manufacturer. eVGA is doing nothing wrong saying to call on Monday for an RMA, it is the weekend and they can't do anything with shipping or likely their RMA department at this time (like just about every company out there on shipping, and most on the RMA stuff). Calm down and look at it from a normal perspective.

Fair enough, bad cards do get fabricated; HOWEVER, the fact that they won't advance RMA is the part that really bugs me. That puts me without any video card for at least a week.

Dude its the weekend. call on Monday and ask for Joe, offer a cc number to secure a cross ship. I am willing to be they send you card. The only reason they would not is if there are no SC cards available.

Well I get mine ont Tuesday (fingers firmly crossed) Ambient room temp where my rig is is only 65F. I keep it cool in my cellar. That combined with my lian li should afford me those clocks without issue. If not I will be one pissed off EVGA fan.

<ponders picking up a BFG just in case

Some companies don't cross-ship at all, but others will say they won't but will if you ask and offer a credit card securement for cross-shipping.

Mine's working great.... but now you have me concerned about #2 on Monday :C

neubspeed said:
WELL, I just installed coolbits and lowered clocks to NV reference from Superclocked and the card works fine without any troubles. But hey, I paid the premium for a Superclocked version so I expected it to run at those speeds.

EDIT: For those that don't know, Superclocked versions are 690 mhz / 1760 mhz VS. 650 mhz / 1600 mhz for normal. So the jump is actually significant.

:

I am curious is, it the Memory of GPU holding you back. Try 690core and 1600mem. Also, can you tell me the part number on your Samsung GDDR?

I noticed that the EVGA cards are using 1.2ns memory (at least that what is posted up at monarch computer)

Ive seen at nvnews some people are having the same prob they "Try 690core and 1600mem" like he said and seems all is well now. duh i missed lee's post.

Look back to the NVnews post. eVGA saved the day.

"Thanks eVGA!!! Specifically jakup of course lol. I just got a call (ON THE WEEKEND!), and it looks like something is going to be cross shipped on Monday, thank God!!! I'm using a 6800 GT now that I borrowed from a friend, but that's pretty awesome that eVGA goes to all the big forums to try and help their consumers. So I guess yeah, I'm back to endorsing eVGA as always (had 4 of their cards so far in my life, this is the first one to act up). For anyone that's been watching these threads and to see eVGA react after hours, there's no reason to not go with them. Feeling much happier now

Secondly, let me explain why I was pissed, I'm trying to pay for university now and money isn't exactly on the high side, I saved for this card for 4 months and the day it came in, I got some nasty artifacts and lock ups (it was like realizing Santa Claus didn't exist), then I guess I talked to a guy at eVGA who didn't know what he was doing and wasn't aware of advanced RMA. This caused a few posts and all lol. And well, I'm not at the huge LAN party today lol."

So in summary yes, I prematurely slandered eVGA, I guess I talked to a moron, but people took care of it, let me emphasize, ON THE WEEKEND! So kudos to them, I've never seen a company do that before. I guess all my other cards will come from there too.

Back