7950s Live on Newegg

Yeah, seems strange. They are 50% more expensive than 6970s, and the 7970 is only about 50% faster itself. So the 7950 is probably going to be less than 50% faster than the 6970. What happened to the price of performance going down each generation?

Well, considering the GTX 580 price they are still an ok deal. I see some GTX 580 in Canada still selling for $580.00. Pure rip off and Nvidia should be ashamed of themselves.

Well, considering the GTX 580 price they are still an ok deal. I see some GTX 580 in Canada still selling for $580.00. Pure rip off and Nvidia should be ashamed of themselves.

It'll be interesting to see what Nvidia does with GTX 580 pricing. If they are somewhat close to launching Kepler and EOLing the 580, they could chop $100 off the price and really put AMD in a bind. Even $50 would make some people think twice about the 7950.

It'll be interesting to see what Nvidia does with GTX 580 pricing. If they are somewhat close to launching Kepler and EOLing the 580, they could chop $100 off the price and really put AMD in a bind. Even $50 would make some people think twice about the 7950.

Yes, $100 off and I would probably buy GTX 580 over 7950 but 7950 still has more vram as a plus.

Lol...Just because they haven't yet responded with price cuts doesn't mean they are "ripping people off". No one is forcing you to buy it. :rolleyes:

How quickly the attitude changes from "decent deal" to "fucking ripoff" when the cards haven't really changed pricing since inception (actually MSRP has gone down since then).

One thing that does confuse me is that 1.5 GB 580s are still $450-500 whereas the 3 GB is $550. Kinda doesn't make sense to get the 1.5 GB one when the 3 GB is only $50 more.

Not happy with pricing at all. That is a far throw from being the more "budget" oriented card that most were expecting. If i could grab one for $400, it would be paid for already.

I'm guessing that the 78xx are going to be the more "budget"-oriented options.

the price nvidia is charging doesnt matter as much to you as the price the board makers are charging... and the board makers will charge whatever they can get... which is a lot, partly because the 7970/7950 is still low in stock everywhere

Lol...Just because they haven't yet responded with price cuts doesn't mean they are "ripping people off". No one is forcing you to buy it. :rolleyes:

How quickly the attitude changes from "decent deal" to "fucking ripoff" when the cards haven't really changed pricing since inception (actually MSRP has gone down since then).

One thing that does confuse me is that 1.5 GB 580s are still $450-500 whereas the 3 GB is $550. Kinda doesn't make sense to get the 1.5 GB one when the 3 GB is only $50 more.

I've said from the very beginning that GTX 580 is a rip off. They set the stage for ATI ripping us on 7970 price so I blame Nvidia for that too.

I'll see your rolls eyes and one up you with :cool:

I've said from the very beginning that GTX 580 is a rip off. They set the stage for ATI ripping us on 7970 price so I blame Nvidia for that too.

But the 580 released with an MSRP of $499. AMD upped the ante by $50. Who's really to blame here?

Anyway, this isn't really a 580 pricing thread.

I don't mind spending money for performance, but for less than price of a 7950 you can pick up a pair of unlockable 6950s that would smoke the 7950.

I don't mind spending money for performance, but for less than price of a 7950 you can pick up a pair of unlockable 6950s that would smoke the 7950.
The smoothness and ease of use of a single GPU is always going to carry a premium. Also, the 7950 is still going to have more vRAM.

Still though, the 7950 has worse price/performance than the flagship 7970, which is just crazy. AMD cut out too much without reducing the price accordingly.

Looks like I'm gonna just go with another 470 GTX if they keep this up.

The smoothness and ease of use of a single GPU is always going to carry a premium. Also, the 7950 is still going to have more vRAM.

Those are good points. The extra ram may come in handy in the future especially in eyefinity and single GPU will always be nice. For raw power though the deals out there on the 6950/6970 are hard to beat.

I don't think the difference between 2 GB and 3 GB of VRAM is going to be very apparent unless you are running triple monitors at very high resolution...and even then in 99% of games it's probably not going to be a huge issue.

But the 580 released with an MSRP of $499. AMD upped the ante by $50. Who's really to blame here?

Only time I have ever seen 580 at that price is when on sale, usual price is $550+. Right now I see some 580 on sale at NCIX and lowest price is $479 and that is *after* a $30 mail in rebate. I do not do mail in rebates so it is really on sale at $509. Wow, what a steal. :p

Only time I have ever seen 580 at that price is when on sale, usual price is $550+. Right now I see some 580 on sale at NCIX and lowest price is $479 and that is *after* a $30 mail in rebate. I do not do mail in rebates so it is really on sale at $509. Wow, what a steal. :p

That's because you are getting screwed in Canada. Newegg has several GTX 580s at $489 before rebate, and even has one now at $469 (and one at $435 after rebate). Which really doesn't matter. The real problem is that the 7950 is priced too close to the 7970, irrespective of the GTX 580 price.

Interesting seeing what the prices are doing here in Australia.

580: $500 to $590
7950: $550 to $640
7970: $700 to $800

Currently 1 AUD = 1.067 USD

Was hoping for some better prices for upgrading from my 6950 2GB CF which only cost me $200 x 2 = $400 for two cards from NCIX's ebay store and outperforms these $450/$499 7950s by a huge margin.

Perhaps I will wait for Kepler (it would be nice to go back to Nvidia for ENB mod game support).

I honestly think $100 difference is a good price point. Just because these cards are on the highest tier doesn't mean someone who would spend $450 is going to spend $550.

Now, it'll be nice when both cards drop $50, which they'll likely do once Nvidia drops the price of the 580.

Why are there no blower fan versions like the one that [H] reviewed? They are all axial fan in the middle designs.

Yeah... I was wondering the same thing. Although from some of the reviews I've read they prefer the middle fan cooler. Either way, I think I'm going to eventually water cool mine so it won't matter. Hopefully it'll get here in time for the weekend!

Why are there no blower fan versions like the one that [H] reviewed? They are all axial fan in the middle designs.

Nice catch, it looks like the one [H] tested isn't actually a reference design. I wonder how this different design affects temps and overclocking.

everybody ia missing a very complelling reason for 7000 series

Super AA: as in MSAA/SSAA in DX10 and DX11

There will be no such animal for 6000 and below.

Was hoping for some better prices for upgrading from my 6950 2GB CF which only cost me $200 x 2 = $400 for two cards from NCIX's ebay store and outperforms these $450/$499 7950s by a huge margin.

Perhaps I will wait for Kepler (it would be nice to go back to Nvidia for ENB mod game support).

I have a pair of unlocked 6950's as well. The 7970 has me itching to spend, but I am having trouble justifying it. As for the 7950, no, I wouldn't consider pulling the trigger....

EDIT>>>> Great review by Brent.

Last edited:
Nice catch, it looks like the one [H] tested isn't actually a reference design. I wonder how this different design affects temps and overclocking.

We tested the reference card from AMD. It looks like few cards will be based on AMD's reference design this time round. We have a lot of 7950 reviews coming on those cards.

Do you think AMD is doing this in a way to keep the prices up on the VGA cards?? I figure Nvidia whenever they released are they going to keep in the same price point as well?

Wut?

This.

The 480 was $499 and the 580 was introduced at the same price.

Do you think AMD is doing this in a way to keep the prices up on the VGA cards?? I figure Nvidia whenever they released are they going to keep in the same price point as well?

Just taking a page from the competition. When the closest competing product (GTX 580) is at that price level, AMD isn't going to undercut them at launch by a great deal. They'll match it so consumers have no choice. This is just soft collusion based on the market. If they aren't moving enough volume or Nvidia drops their prices or releases Kepler, AMD will drop the price.

Put yourselft into the shoes of AMD.

They have a product that is faster than the competition with no equivalent for another 3-4 months or more.

What to do.. sell it for less.., equally or more.

The only way AMD is gonna drop prices on those is if Nvidia drop the price of the 580, witch they probably won't so..

I'm in for a pair of XFX Double D Black Edition's when I get my tax return :D

For anyone who ordered that more expensive Sapphire 7950. Newegg lowered the price by $20, within the past hour. Plus most of the cards have free shipping now.

For anyone who ordered that more expensive Sapphire 7950. Newegg lowered the price by $20, within the past hour. Plus most of the cards have free shipping now.

Nice, just needs to drop $50 more and it might be borderline worth the cash.

Just taking a page from the competition. When the closest competing product (GTX 580) is at that price level, AMD isn't going to undercut them at launch by a great deal. They'll match it so consumers have no choice. This is just soft collusion based on the market. If they aren't moving enough volume or Nvidia drops their prices or releases Kepler, AMD will drop the price.

I have a feeling we will start to see this in the hard drive market as well..

Still tons for sale on Newegg! Step up you guys - its only $500!

Seriously, there isn't going to be much movement until the $300-350 cards are released (whatever they might be).

For raw power though the deals out there on the 6950/6970 are hard to beat.

Yup. Just sold my pair of reference xfx 6950s that were shader unlocked for $450 shipped. The guy that bought one of them has it humming along at 1200MHz core. I never really messed around with high OCs like that, but it definitely made me think twice about my switch to a 7970 though. :eek:

Back