7970 install problem

robble

Supreme [H]ardness
it's not being detected as anything other than a vga adapter. the amd auto detect doesn't find my product or os.

catalyst install works for everything EXCEPT the driver.

I've updated my MB bios.

I tried installed drivers from both CD and the special one linked in this forum for the 7970.

driver install takes forever and always fails.

any ideas?

How did you uninstall the previous driver?
I had no problems installing the CD drivers for XP/32, and the downloaded AMD driver from the website. You may need to go into safe mode and run driver cleaner/driver sweeper from there (assuming of course they fixed the problem with driver sweeper deleting a few SP1 files).

I used the ati install manager to uninstall everything first.

Maybe try Driver Sweeper? I had problems with my custom profiles, as they would never save. I used Driver Sweeper - problem solved.

reinstalled my 6950 and it detects just fine before I even load drivers.

device manager shows the 6950 but when i install the 7970 it just shows vga adapter =(

i tried both bios positions on the card too.

amd auto driver detect detects the 6950 but not the 7970.

use driver cleaner/sweeper and clean out the AMD drivers completely in safe mode like the others have said. then put the 7970 back in and boot into windows normally and install the correct drivers. do not let windows try to install the drivers.

use driver cleaner/sweeper and clean out the AMD drivers completely in safe mode like the others have said. then put the 7970 back in and boot into windows normally and install the correct drivers. do not let windows try to install the drivers.

windows auto installs vga drivers without giving me any choice.

I'll the driver cleaner sweeper in safe mode later. it's too late now.

I'm not confident it'll work though since device manager only shows standard vga adapter. With my 6950 device manager showed an AMD 6900 series card before I loaded drivers.

I've had this problem many times. If you use drive sweeper, apparently, it deletes too many things, if that is even possible and you can end up with virtually, that I've found, no way to get a driver on your machine.

I found this just the other day, "atiman uninstaller v6.2.0.msi" and the people that were talking about it swear by it.

Personally, I've had trouble with driver sweeper in that it has ruined my ability to get any driver installed, basically having the same issues as you are discribing and being forced todo a complete reinstall. This atiman uninstall does everything for you, including reboots and, afterwards, you can still install any ati driver you wish. Unlike now.

Hope this helps.

I decided to go ahead and run driver sweeper.

rebooted and device manager still saw vga.. installed drivers. BINGO! it works =)

I decided to go ahead and run driver sweeper.

rebooted and device manager still saw vga.. installed drivers. BINGO! it works =)

Fuck a whole bunch of driver cleaner bullshit.

Next time just yank out the old card(s) and throw the new one in then grab the latest drivers and install them.

I've been doing that on this Windows 7 load since forever and it works fine.

I replaced a 4870x2 with a 5870, then 6970 and then added a second one and tonight I replaced the 6670s with a 7970 and it ALWAYS reverts back to standard vga when the new card is detected, then always loads "correctly" once you load the updated driver.

Next time just yank out the old card(s) and throw the new one in then grab the latest drivers and install them.

I replaced a 4870x2 with a 5870, then 6970 and then added a second one and tonight I replaced the 6670s with a 7970 and it ALWAYS reverts back to standard vga when the new card is detected, then always loads "correctly" once you load the updated driver.

that's not how it worked this time.

Im switching from Nvidia to Ati when mine gets here. I'm on Win7 and plan on just unintalling nvidia drivers, shutting down, putting the new card in, and installing the ati drivers when I boot in. If I have any problems I will post on here, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

When I uninstalled my 6990 beta drivers, rebooted and installed the 7970 drivers my Windows 7 install got hosed. I had to completely re-install Win 7 for the 7970's to work properly.

I always use drivercleaner.net in safe mode after using the AMD uninstaller (as recommended by AMD....the uninstaller, not drivercleaner) and never have I had a single problem.

I always use drivercleaner.net in safe mode after using the AMD uninstaller (as recommended by AMD....the uninstaller, not drivercleaner) and never have I had a single problem.

And have you tried it without DC? It should work exactly the same.

How did you uninstall the previous driver?
I had no problems installing the CD drivers for XP/32, and the downloaded AMD driver from the website. You may need to go into safe mode and run driver cleaner/driver sweeper from there (assuming of course they fixed the problem with driver sweeper deleting a few SP1 files).

Hold on, stop the thread... You bought a 7970 to run in XP? I cannot understand this... Please explain.

Hold on, stop the thread... You bought a 7970 to run in XP? I cannot understand this... Please explain.

He's explained a few times in other threads, he dual-boots XP and 7 so that he can run some games that don't like his Win 7 setup.

He's explained a few times in other threads, he dual-boots XP and 7 so that he can run some games that don't like his Win 7 setup.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. I was having flashbacks to my wife who wanted a new SSD and video card for her computer but wanted to keep XP. I wouldn't let her, cause I'm the one that has to support it, haha.

And have you tried it without DC? It should work exactly the same.

Yes, yes I have, and it was not always 100%.

Frankly, I fail to see all the jumping up and down about this..............

I have timed the whole process, and running drivercleaner.net three times through on an average driver install takes an extra four minutes, over and above the standard install.

It's not like you have to dig a hole in the ground or wait a week.:rolleyes:

it's not being detected as anything other than a vga adapter. the amd auto detect doesn't find my product or os.

catalyst install works for everything EXCEPT the driver.

I've updated my MB bios.

I tried installed drivers from both CD and the special one linked in this forum for the 7970.

driver install takes forever and always fails.

any ideas?

Drivers from the CD were the only ones that I could get to work at all. The new ones at the AMD site for the 7900 would install then blackscreen on reboot.

Yeah I've had W7 for over a year and a half, back to when I flashed a modded slic bios into a p5wdh so I could use OEM activation (but since I have a retail key now anyway...)

Everything was going great for a couple months. Then my MSI afterburner "expired".

Uninstalled and reinstalled the latest AB. Immediately after I started getting getting "driver stopped responding" errors every few minutes while playing Alan Wake.

Researching the error first step said re-install vid card drivers.

When I did that everything went to hell again. Computer wouldn't recognize the card and I couldn't get any driver version to install - and I tried a few different ways too. When trying to load drivers it would take about 10 minutes and eventually tell me the driver portion failed to install.

After 2-3 hours of frustration I backed up all my stuff, formatted my C: drive, and did a clean fresh install of windows.

Tried installing the 12.2 driver package and *BAM!* It was successfully installed in under 2 minutes.

At least now I have a clean install and lots of free space on my SSD!

I had also been unable to install service pack 1 until I reloaded windows. That now installed fine too.

In a sort of related problem - one of the steps I did was to try a windows repair from the disk..
It "repaired" my old windows install on another hard drive in the system and now when I turn on the computer it gives me the option of dual booting to either win7 or win 7(repaired).

How do I get rid of that? (without taking out or deleting a bunch of stuff from the 2nd harddrive)

Edit: Nevermind.. a quick google search showed me how to turn off the dual boot screen.

Last edited:
I've had Catalyst drivers & AMD cards since 5850 and 10.2. Uninstalling and reinstalling newer simply doesn't work. Driver Sweeper is required for proper operation.

Back