8120 vs 8150

Should I buy the 8120 or 8150 for overclocking?

Votes: 44 84.6%

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters

Evil Penguin

Limp Gawd
So I'm thinking about buying one of these to mess around with.
I know the 8150 is binned higher and can achieve 4.5GHz with less voltage (about 0.1v less).
Do you think the 8150's 50/60 dollar price premium is worth it over the 8120?

Was about to ask nearly the same thing. Well wanted to know how well the retail 8120's were overclocking for those that took the plunge.

was looking around this morning, 8150 are scarce at this point. 8120 is a pretty big price drop, I'd be curious to see what people are getting out of these too. I'd also lvoe to see someone write a review using Windows 8 so we can get a better idea of how much the scheduler helps things.

Honestly I can't think of a reason to buy either. If you're wanting something to play around with overclocking, get a Phenom X4 970 for $125 or thereabouts. Much cheaper and virtually the same performance.

If it has to be BD then go for the 8120. $280 is outrageous for a proc that isn't really any better than a $180 X6.

Or just wait a month for AMD to drop the prices on both parts. You know it's coming. No one in their right mind is going to pay $240 or $280 for either.

I wouldn't buy either, they are POS. Buy a 1100t save yourself some money.

was looking around this morning, 8150 are scarce at this point. 8120 is a pretty big price drop, I'd be curious to see what people are getting out of these too. I'd also lvoe to see someone write a review using Windows 8 so we can get a better idea of how much the scheduler helps things.

Yes, this is why I was looking at the 8120. And yes I know it's not what we expected, but I already purchased the 990FX board a couple days after the mobo review came out and I can't stand life with this 555 that won't unlock. I debated giving a family member my mobo but they don't have the money to complete the build so that's out. And if I'm going to buy a new chip, it's going to be the best that I can afford, thus it's Bulldozer for me. Probably will be ordering something this evening.

Thanks!

Yes, this is why I was looking at the 8120. And yes I know it's not what we expected, but I already purchased the 990FX board a couple days after the mobo review came out and I can't stand life with this 555 that won't unlock. I debated giving a family member my mobo but they don't have the money to complete the build so that's out. And if I'm going to buy a new chip, it's going to be the best that I can afford, thus it's Bulldozer for me. Probably will be ordering something this evening.

Thanks!

I hear ya, i was going to do the same thing before I bought my current pc, and i still would like to play with an 8120. Def not what was expected, but i'd love to see how they overclock. I Also didnt realize they have some reasonable 970a boards and 990x boards out there that will handle these cpu's. Im tempted, I ordered a refurb product from tigerdirect and if i have issues with it im going to just return it for credit and may grab a cheap 970a and 8120 with the money to try out.

I'd like to experiment with the BD chips as well with a cheap mobo. I wonder though if a cheap 970 mobo will allow any room for OC fun. All these reviews with the expensive ASUS board are giving me a complex.

Not too sure the gb board i was looking at has 8+2 phase power though, its a 970a and i think it went for 109.

I depated on this myself, in the end teh choice was made for me. Cant get an 8150 right now. No stock!
They are both unlocked and mine is going in a water cooled system so i will see what she can do. If i am really disappointed, i may try and find an 8150 later.

windows 8 isnt doing much for bulldozer either. toms had a preview on it.

win%208%20solidworks.png

win%208%20wow%201680.png

Well I bit the bullet and ordered an 8120 from Newegg to test out along with the ASUS Crosshair V. I checked around and sounds like retailers aren't expecting another shipment until next month for Bulldozer so may be waiting a while to get an 8150.

Here is a link to some combo deals Newegg is offering where you can save $15-$25 when you purchase a Bulldozer CPU with an AM3+ motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDeals.aspx?ComboStoreID=1&name=CPUs-Motherboards

Last edited:
Price is too high, they make the microcenter CPU mobo combos look even better....

Back