830 D Water OC'ing Problems - Help Please :(

geminox

Limp Gawd
Alright fellas, I have finally bought some kind of cooling for my computer.

It isn't specatular, and you guys will probably throw up knowing what kind of water cooling kit I chose, but its the Thermaltake Bigwater SE.

Before this, I was using the stock CPU heatsink, which I might add that this whole tower was pre-built by some guy who thought he knew a lot about computers. I got it from a trade, but little did I know, 4 months later, that one of the screws that clamp the heatsink onto the CPU were missing, and only 4 were holding it intact.

After finally installing some temperature monitoring software, I found that my CPU would reach at 90 degrees celcius (sp?). Now that I've bought my cooling kit, I've got everything setup, but I'm encountering a few problems.

1. After running Steam, and running HL2 or CS:Source, I get an application error saying the instruction at "etcetc" referenced memory at "etc". The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.

2. I can no longer monitor my CPU temperature, and there is no CPU FAN except for a useless LED connector that connects to where the CPU FAN socket used to be.

I need help in trying to figure out what is causing the stuff to crash, and how to remedy the temperature monitoring problem, because who knows if I'm even getting any results if I can't see my temperature :(

I'll be checking up this thread very often for help, I'm absolutely desperate for suggestions/opinions and help of anykind.

Here are the specs:

Pentium D 830 Dual Core 3.0GHz w/ stock cooling (boo!)
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800MHz PC2 6400
ASUS P5WD2 Premium Intel 955X Chipset
ASUS EN7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI-e
ASUS Black IDE DVD+-RW 16X w/DL
ASUS VENTO 3600 Case (yeah, wasn't my choice)
ANTEC 500W Power Supply
WD Caviar 200GB 7200rpm HDD
Random 60 and 40 GB HD (hand me downs Very Happy )
Windows 2003 Enterprise
Logitech G7 (maybe G5 pending trade)
fUncpad 1030 Archetype MBA
Logitech G15
Plantronics DSP-500's
SB X-Fi XtremeMusic (paired with Medusa 5.1's but hardly use em)
21 in. CRT monitor

Thank you!

-Justin

Sounds like a temp problem from all those errors. Try re-installing the waterblock and make sure that the pump is working and you can physically see water flow through the system. make sure theres no kinks in the tubing and make sure you RTFM on waterblock installs- thermaltake does some weird shit.

I had the same problem with my 820. It's probably heat problems. I just reapply AC5 and reseated my waterblock. Everything's ok now.

The weirdest thing...

I got it fixed, apparently I had to plug in my soundcard/headset to get it from stopping to crash. (no idea why that got it fixed..)

But not, when I run CPU-Z, my processor shows as a Pentium 4 531instead of an 830 D.

What's going on? :(

Thank you for all the replies so far :D

Btw, is there any way to monitor the CPU temperature? There isn't a CPU temp monitoring diode for the waterblock from what I can see.... :\ Any thoughts? Replies are much appreciated :D

-Justin

Back