8GB ram issue

JohnleMVP

Supreme [H]ardness
So I picked up another set of Corsair Dominator PC8500 2x2GB kit just for the heck of it. Ram is cheap. I'm running it very slightly overclocked at 1080 (540mhz for the anal). My northbridge voltage is slightly increased for the CPU overclock, memory at 2.1v. Everything primes fine, memtest passes without issue, games play fine, no crashes etc.

However from a cold boot after its been off over night when I login to windows Vista I get a black screen with the mouse loading wheel flickering. It stays like this forever so I CTRL-ALT-DEL and log off and log back in and its fine. If I restart its and log back in with no issues. If I shut down and boot up again its fine. It only happens from a cold boot after a long period of being off. Any ideas? It is a bit annoying.

Try bumping your memory controller voltage a bit. It sounds like your OC is a tiny bit unstable and a if your MCH voltage is at stock, it's probably too low to boot 4 modules reliably.

Well default NB voltage is 1.25v and I had it at 1.4v. I set it to the next available setting of 1.55v and it solved the problem this morning, but I'll try again this afternoon. My concern is heat for the chipset (P35) so if I have to run it at 1.55v I will have to look at putting a little fan over the chipset. Since this is a minor issue it may not even be worth upping the voltage. I'll do more testing, confirm it fixes the issue, and figure out the temps before and after.

If you don't want to run the 1.55v, you may have to drop the memory frequency a bit.

Oddly I set it back to 1.4v and I haven't had the issue after having the PC off over night.

Back