9600XT or 9500 Pro?

CypHill

Gawd
My friend has a little dilema. He's wondering if he should either go for a 9600XT which will have faster ram but less pipelines or should he go with a 9500Pro which will have double the pipelines (8) but have slower ram (which will in turn be less o/c 'able). Both can be had for roughly the same price.. the 9500Pro would be like $10-$15 more. What would you do? Both have 128mb ram.

Well the 9500 and the 9600 XT both run on different engins, so you have to take that into consideration. Also, the 9500 pro has less ram because it has 8 pixil pipelines. So less ram is justified. I would recommend a 9500 pro. My uncle has one and its still kickin. I think he got it when it first came out.

Go with a 9600XT with some 2.8ns ram if you can get it. Although you can't really go wrong with either card, the 9600XT has the HL2 voucher if that game interests you.

there was an hardocp review that compared the 9500 pro to 9600xt but i cant seem to find it. but to sumarise the 9500 pro won some benchmarks and the 9600xt won some benchmarks. i think the 9600xt won a few more.

i would vote for 9600xt because it is cheaper, higher oc potential without having to worry about bios flash, half life2

ps i have a 9500 pro and it is very fast

EDIT: found the review
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTQwLDE=

Definately go with the 9600XT. It has alot of overclocking potential and it comes with a HL2 coucher. The voucher alone makes it worth it. I would get an ATI or Sapphire one too instead of an Asus.

I have almost those 2 cards, but pro instead of XT

9500 pro:

Directx 8
faster in some test due to 8 pipelines. feels "smoother" to me for some reason.
runs hot

9600 pro:

DirectX 9
slightly slower in some test due to 4 pipelines.
runs cooler
HL voucher if thats worth anything.

XT is even faster than pro, so it is probably the best bet.

it is up to your personal preference.
as for asus video cards, they may make great motherboards, but i have had 2 out of 2 asus video cards die on me. (nv based ones)

Originally posted by DeFex
I have almost those 2 cards, but pro instead of XT

9500 pro:

Directx 8
faster in some test due to 8 pipelines. feels "smoother" to me for some reason.
runs hot

9600 pro:

DirectX 9
slightly slower in some test due to 4 pipelines.
runs cooler
HL voucher if thats worth anything.

XT is even faster than pro, so it is probably the best bet.

it is up to your personal preference.
as for asus video cards, they may make great motherboards, but i have had 2 out of 2 asus video cards die on me. (nv based ones)

both 9600xt and 9500pro are dx9 cards.

My opinion backed by performance comparisons in games is to go with the 9600XT.

And yes, the 9600XT is much more overclockable as well.

Plus, you will get HL2 for free.

Back