970 GTX SLI

And piggy backing on what Odellus said above Most cards come with 6pin to 4 pin molex adapters in the box. Both my evga 980s came with 2 in the box.

Last edited:
I might be in trouble.. according to this arcticle..http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,7.html
I need a minimum of 800 watts..

"Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 970 or 980 in 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have an 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum."

You could probably run 970 SLI comfortably on a 600W PSU ;).
I might be in trouble.. according to this arcticle..http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,7.html

GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 970 or 980 in 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have an 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum."
That is BS. My 780 SLI setup only pulled 600-650W from the wall, and the 970/980 use a lot less power as their own charts indicate. Remember that power supplies are rated for continuous power at a given ambient temperature (30C, IIRC?).

Last edited:
Nope... It won't work, unless you are willing to draw 150W over wires made for 15W hard drives. The max wattage of the PSU is not an issue, but the PSU doesn't have enough PCIe connectors. I recommend a Corsair RM750 or AX760i so you don't have to worry about overloading the PSU, but you will probably be fine with a Corsair RM650.

Nope... It won't work, unless you are willing to draw 150W over wires made for 15W hard drives. The max wattage of the PSU is not an issue, but the PSU doesn't have enough PCIe connectors. I recommend a Corsair RM750 or AX760i so you don't have to worry about overloading the PSU, but you will probably be fine with a Corsair RM650.

nope thats not correct if the cable are the exact gauge... a cable with 18awg or 16awg will be more than a perfect job.. and theres no chance in the world that a single wire can load more than 100W for 18AWG..

The table on that amazon page is incorrect.

CX750M has 4 x 6+2 pin pci-e connectors.

guru3d always says shit like that. a heavily overclocked 970/980 SLI system wouldn't use more than 600W. a stock system would probably use less than 500. i mean really just do the math. 170W * 2 = 340, and if you have an intel cpu you're looking at another 84W or so, which puts it at 424. how the hell are hard drives and fans going to add up to 376W?

The table on that amazon page is incorrect.

CX750M has 4 x 6+2 pin pci-e connectors.

good catch. i actually crosschecked with newegg because i didn't see where the amazon page listed pcie connectors at first glance and i ended up looking at the cx750 instead of the cx750m.

The rest of the specs were not listed and no one bothered to ask? The cpu alone can make a massive difference.

The rest of the specs were not listed and no one bothered to ask? The cpu alone can make a massive difference.

they are listed. the cpu is a 5960X at 4 GHz. the 5960X has a 140W tdp at stock clocks (3.5 GHz turbo) so it's probably using something like 160W.

they are listed. the cpu is a 5960X at 4 GHz. the 5960X has a 140W tdp at stock clocks (3.5 GHz turbo) so it's probably using something like 160W.
What? Am I blind? The OP has 2 posts here and no mention of specs and no sig.

And the 3.5 is for single core boost. If all 4 cores are at 4.0 then that is way more than 160 watts.

And the 3.5 is for single core boost. If all 4 cores are at 4.0 then that is way more than 160 watts.

I believe he was referring to the link showing 980 SLi etc power numbers up above.

the last two posts before yours were referring to a review. your post didn't have anything quoted and you also said 'the specs' instead of 'his specs' which implies you were talking about the review.

why would we need to know what cpu he has anyway? it doesn't matter what he has, it's not going to affect whether he can run 970 SLI or not.

the last two posts before yours were referring to a review. your post didn't have anything quoted and you also said 'the specs' instead of 'his specs' which implies you were talking about the review.

why would we need to know what cpu he has anyway? it doesn't matter what he has, it's not going to affect whether he can run 970 SLI or not.
Well I thought it would be obvious that I was referring to the OP. And sorry but the rest of his specs most certainly need to be known including the cpu. He could have a highly oced 930 or an AMD 9590. That could be a 150 to 200 watt difference in power usage compared to a stock 4770k.

Holy S**T. Seriously I'll say it again holy effing S**T. That's incredible. I must find more of these power consumption charts. If that's correct my Signature 650w could easily handle 970 Sli. Not that I really want to run off Molex but just the same. I def need to find some more numbers on different games though.

Metro is one of the most demanding games. Even though it hit a FPS wall, 4-way 980 SLI is under 600W.

Wow.

Well I thought it would be obvious that I was referring to the OP. And sorry but the rest of his specs most certainly need to be known including the cpu. He could have a highly oced 930 or an AMD 9590. That could be a 150 to 200 watt difference in power usage compared to a stock 4770k.

there is no cpu in existence that could use anywhere near enough power to be problematic for op's CX750M, not even the laughable pile of shit that is the 9590 (which can't be overclocked, btw.) absolute worst case scenario he has a 9590 which uses 250W under load; 250 + 340 = 590W.

These cards back off using Furmark. Heck even my 4770k and mildly oced 970 can hit well over 300 watts at the wall in just a game. NO WAY you have full 5820 usage and full 980 SLI usage and only hit 512 watts.

What should I run that will max out the cards?

Unigine Valley Extreme HD benchmark was 250-400W depending on the scene.

Battlefield 4 at 2560x1080 w/ everything at Ultra was getting ~130 FPS and drawing ~350W.

What should I run that will max out the cards?

Unigine Valley Extreme HD benchmark was 250-400W depending on the scene.

Battlefield 4 at 2560x1080 w/ everything at Ultra was getting ~130 FPS and drawing ~350W.
400 watts max at full system with both cards? I just ran Heaven and saw right at 300 watts. How can your much more power hungry cpu and over twice the graphics power only peak at 100 watts more?

Anyway the OP has nothing to worry about under any realistic conditions.

400 watts max at full system with both cards? I just ran Heaven and saw right at 300 watts. How can your much more power hungry cpu and over twice the graphics power only peak at 100 watts more?

Is your 4770K overclocked? My numbers are with everything at stock.

For sure.

Edit: I suppose my power meter (Brand 4-1850) could be reading low. I'll compare it to a Kill-A-Watt tomorrow.

Last edited:

seems to be correct.. check This Quad SLI results..

Out test system includes an Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.0 GHz, a MSI X99S Gaming 9 AC mainboard, 16 Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 memory @ 2133 MHz 13-13-13-36-2T, a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD, a Seasonic Platinum Series 1200W PSU, a NZXT Kraken X60 CPU-koeler and a Cooler Master Test Bench.

under realistic gaming conditions.. 514W Quad-SLI setup..

The graph below is pretty impressive. A GTX 980 SLI configuration combined with Haswell-E on 4 GHz uses less than 430W. In other news, PSU manufacturers really don't need te make PSUs that can deliver more than a kilowatt anymore.

24o3tkh.jpg

Odd how power consumption can be all over the place from one review to another. In the Metro bench I actually pulled 384 watts with my stock 780 and 288 watts with my 970 at the factory oc. That includes my monitor but it only uses 12 watts. I am getting about what they are for the 970 but crazy how can they can be showing just 330 watts load for their 780.

Odd how power consumption can be all over the place from one review to another. In the Metro bench I actually pulled 384 watts with my stock 780 and 288 watts with my 970 at the factory oc. That includes my monitor but it only uses 12 watts. I am getting about what they are for the 970 but crazy how can they can be showing just 330 watts load for their 780.

all will vary depending on the entire system. Motherboard, Amount of Fans, HDD, SSD, Peripherals as sound cards, etc etc.. but the most important thing are the Power supply and efficiency. a 1200W Platinum PSU will handle the load WAY different than a 650W Bronze, also your PSU its kinda aging right? add some capacitor aging to the formula so a little of efficiency lost too..

if you see the 970 load under metro its 265W add your 12W monitor and the load its now 277 which its just very near of your 288. they aren't using a proper case with lot of fans, instead a test bench which will barely use the CPU cooler, no sound card, no HDD and done.. also depending on the manufacturer and model of the card.. some cards will vary in the total power usage, cards with 3 fans, with more power connectors. I can be sure that a gigabyte G1 970 will draw under load way more than your 970.. and well thats it.. i see nothing wrong..

I doubt that the tri and quad card power readings mean anything in that article. They are running Metro Last Light on 1080p with 4 GPUs, how much work are number 3 and 4 actually doing? There is almost no increase from 2 to 3 gpus, and a little more when they add the fourth. It looks like the system just isn't using those last 2 GPU's. I would be very interested in seeing how the power draw is at much higher resolutions thought.

I also need to ask if this Seasonic Platinum-760W (SS-760XP2 Active PFC F3) will be enough for GTX 970 SLI?

I also need to ask if this Seasonic Platinum-760W (SS-760XP2 Active PFC F3) will be enough for GTX 970 SLI?
You have to list all your other computer specs when asking a question like that since you're not just powering two video cards. But I doubt there would possibly be an issue unless you have some insane set up.

You have to list all your other computer specs when asking a question like that since you're not just powering two video cards. But I doubt there would possibly be an issue unless you have some insane set up.

Oh right :>
Ci7 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Samsung 840 PRO
WD Red 2TB
Asus Sabertooth Z87
2x 14cm fans 1x 12cm fan
32GB ram 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
Currently with Gigabyte 670GTX Windforce OC
Planning to upgrade to 2x Gigabyte 970GTX G1
Anything else? Hmm few USB things like Sidewinder x6 , Roccat Kone XTD, G27 wheel, Saitek X55 rhino,

Oh right :>
Ci7 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Samsung 840 PRO
WD Red 2TB
Asus Sabertooth Z87
2x 14cm fans 1x 12cm fan
32GB ram 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
Currently with Gigabyte 670GTX Windforce OC
Planning to upgrade to 2x Gigabyte 970GTX G1
Anything else? Hmm few USB things like Sidewinder x6 , Roccat Kone XTD, G27 wheel, Saitek X55 rhino,

greenlight there... you will be fine...

I had seasonic 520W with mentioned above setup and it exploded. So i got worried. :D

I am using a stock 4790k, two SSD's and two WD 1tb Blacks, Cryorig r1 ultimate Fan inside a Corsair carbide air 540 with all stock fans

Back