9800gtx vs 9800gx2

i think they copied the text for box, that's it, didnt realised that there was a note about other card comparison... it WILL be better than that...

are you sure, according to the Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide the 9800 gtx has more memory bandwidth, more tansistors, more pixel fill engines, and a 25% higher texel fill rate, a higher memory bus width (512 vs 256x2) and uses GDDR4. it seems like it would beat the gx2 all around. but maybe these numbers are in error

i though nvidia was giving the 9800 GTX the shit treatment with a 256 bit bus? chart says 512, really? i mean i hope so because that would make more sense.

i though nvidia was giving the 9800 GTX the shit treatment with a 256 bit bus? chart says 512, really? i mean i hope so because that would make more sense.

The information on that chart for the 9800GTX and 9800GX2 isn't very accurate, according to it, the 9800GX2 should have been out like two weeks ago, and the 9800GTX will use the G100, so i would any information on that chart about these two cards with a grain of salt.

The 9800GTX wont be the G100 listed in that chart because all the remaining proof points to the G92 core. I would hope that they do keep those specs for the G100 though as that would be a big performance boost that we could all use.

Also I'm fairly certain I've seen that exact same picture with the same box at the same angle with the 9600GT label, so I'd have to say it's been photoshopped.

If money wasen't an issue, any reason to get the GTX over the GX2?

As much as I would not want to remind some other people about what they bought in the past, I'd say the 7950x2 would have been a reaason, though hopefully nvidia's got the bugs worked out this time around ^^

I'm still confused about Nvidia's retarded card nomenclature. I've had my superclocked 8800 ultra for damn close to a year now. I'm not big on SLI, I just like getting the fastest single card available. I'm been waiting to upgrade now for a few months but so far nothing really seems worth it. Am it going to get any significant performance increase with either a 9800GTX or GX2? I don't see how it's worth it to spend 500 to 600 hundred bucks for a 10-15 percent performance increase. That still wouldn't make the last levels of Crysis playable at 1920X1200 let alone 2560X1600.

This is not accurate by no means but all indications of a 9800 GX2 release point to mid/late March. A few sites list March 11th as an official date so we'll see.

So nVidia won't even tell us the official release date....

We can only hope a new management team takes over.

As much as I would not want to remind some other people about what they bought in the past, I'd say the 7950x2 would have been a reaason, though hopefully nvidia's got the bugs worked out this time around ^^
Thanks for the reply

That is my fear... :)

What is the date we will see the GX2 released?

If the GTX takes too long to get out, I will just grab an EVGA GX2 and cover my bet on the sale price... We don't think the GTX could be faster correct? nVidia seems to list the GX2 as their fastest card... I hope they know wich is actually faster! ;)

If I do want back out of the GX2, I could just step into another card providing they make a more expensive one down the line...

If money wasen't an issue, any reason to get the GTX over the GX2?
Get your self a cheap 8800GT for now and wait for GT200/G100/R700 during june/july/august and pick the best one then.
I se no point in 9800GX2, specially when we know something better is around. I know its a pain but i also wait for something better worth bying and i might try 9800Gx2 when i know EVGA "step up" is good enough to use and "safe" bet so the timeframe is usable and not miss the limit for the new gen card.

Imo, if the 9800GX2 came in at $450, it might be worth it. At $600, it's just a really expensive way to waggle.

how much faster will cards be compared to 8800 gtx?
with 8800gtx SLI at the moment in my rig any benefit on upgrading ?

If you are running 2 GTXs you are not hurting one bit and will not see much of a performance gain. I would wait for the next gen cards.

Back