9800GX2 doesn't fit with SATA ports

neubspeed

Gawd
I just got my 9800GX2 last night; however, it won't fit when I have hard drives plugged into the SATA ports. I have an Asus P5K-E Wifi with the only 6 SATA ports being right there near the southbridge.

Anyways, does anyone know of any low profile SATA cables so I can connect this on the slant under the card?

Or am I so screwed that I need to waste more money on a motherboard? If that's the case, what sort of MB should I be looking at? I like Intel stability and speed, but will I be forced to buy a damn nvidia board to make this work?

I've already had to buy a new case for this stupid video card and I'm about to lose it. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

90* SATA cables?

How many do you need?

Some people have modified their own SATA cables by cutting up the plastic surrounding the wires, bending them into shape and adding some hot-glue to keep it in place.

I have 3 hard drives and a SATA DVD. So 4 In total I guess? I can get 2 in without any modifications.

Not sure what you mean by 90* cables? I'm sorry, I'll wiki it now.

if that doesn't work some mobos like the abit IP35 Pro have the SATA sockets sideways on the edge of the mobo.

Uh, no offense but had you done your research before buying you would have seen that there was going to be a problem.

You said you have 4 SATA devices in total and can get 2 in already? If you can get another 2 in with 90 degree cables (Ones where the connector is at a 90 degree angle to the actual cable itself) you should be fine. The first row of ports should be fine with 90 degree cables as far as I can tell.

the P5K is a poorly designed mobo. you'll need to get a mobo that has SATA ports pointed towards the front of the case, or located out of the way of dual slot video cards. my EX38-DQ6 works great.

note that even 90 degree SATA cables will not properly clear on P5K mobos. the only thing i found that came close to working was 180 degree cables that had a short plug protector/head. i still had to push the video card on top of it and had problems. the 90 degree cables will work for 3 of the ports, but you're screwed for the others.

Thanks for the help so far.

jkw, where do I find 180 degree cables like that?

I have an old skool no name brand SATA PCI card. Will that hinder my drive performance if I use that instead of the on-board controller?

Thanks for the help so far.

jkw, where do I find 180 degree cables like that?

I have an old skool no name brand SATA PCI card. Will that hinder my drive performance if I use that instead of the on-board controller?

newegg and frozencpu have them.

is your sata pci card SATAI (1.5Gbps) or SATAII (3.0Gbps)? will it be in a slot that might affect airflow or cooling for the video card?

Don't use satacables.com. It's ALL ABOUT www.MonoPrice.com for ANY kind of cable. By far the cheapest, and great shipping prices to boot. 6 SATA II 18" cables for $9.50 and $2 s/h

Can't beat it

Back