9850BE + 790GX + 4850 = Spider, so far ok

poppageek

Weaksauce
I finally upgraded my 5200+ to a 9850BE. With +30mV and 2% ACC I am at 3gz stable, 1 hour of OCCT. Used a Zalman 9700 and so far 52c in games, 32 idle, 55-57 100% all cores 40 mins or more. All that with fan at 2200 rpm so more room there, it goes to 2800, gets noisy then though.

I am not unhappy. Fast snappy system plays LOTRO, Oblivion, Bioshock, HL2 Ep2 all fine oh high settings and 8x - 12x AA and 8x to 16x AF.

I cannot up the HT at all. OCCT will crash within 1 - 2 mins with an HT of 210. Multiplier of 15.5 and Win XP crashes almost immediately.

I had hoped for 3.2 - 3.4. Zalman is doing it's job so I guess could raise volts some more.

I really feel I have all good hardware, love the Foxconn A7DA-S. I really feel things would be better with better drivers mostly for the 4850. I have alot of problems with Catalyst. Just install video drivers and no probems but install Catalyst and a game will eventually crash no matter what settings I try and use or not use. Overdive can be used for monitoring and that is about it. Crashes if I try and use the Stability test or save settings.

It's all still pretty new so I have hopes things will improve. As it is now it ain't bad, not bad at all.

Thanks for reading and would appreciate any advise on more OC on 9850 and more stability with Catalyst. I do want to use Edge-detect as I hate jaggies.

I am still on XP, next to upgrade, and all I find with Google is 8.9 for Vista, supposedly some XP 8.9 will be out tonight. Will try them.

Thanks

Knock your socks off kidies ,, Yes,,for me it works better than the 8.8beta 8.52.2.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?referrerid=64675&t=33931358

gpuz8_9beta.jpg

ati8_9_drversion853.jpg

ati8_9.jpg

I stay as far away from CCC as I can. I would recommend you revert to using just the video driver and then dl Ray Adam's ATI Tray Tools here. This newest beta offers full support for fan control on 4850's and more than CCC could ever hope to provide.

Thanks for the links.

I downloaded the 8.9 betas but decided not to use them as they do not include the IGP drivers. Will wait for the Release and try them.

I tried ATI Tray Tool and games lock up or crash on start up.

I am going to upgrade to Vista64 first of the month, hopefully some of these problems will go away between that and driver updates.

Thanks

Have been playing with ACC, volts and clocks. I can get to 3.2 with 1.36 volts but when I run OCCT the temp climbs fast and I stop it at 60c, within 3 minutes or less.

I have the Cooler Master 690 with 2 140mms doing exhaust, one in back one on top. 1 120 in front blowing in, 2 120s on side blowing in and a 80mm on other side blowing in on back of CPU socket. Room temp 75-78F.

Playing Lost Planet Performance Test in loop temps never hit 50c. Idle is 32 at 3gz 34c at 3.2. I am using extended desktop and use CPUID Hardware Monitor to watch temps.

The Zalman is running at 2200 rpm, uping to max at 2500rpm makes no difference.

I guess I need to stay at 3gz. I used Artic Silver 5, maybe as it cures it will get better but seems I have a temp ceiling. At 3gz and 1.30 it never hit 60c and was stable for an hour of OCCT.

I finally upgraded my 5200+ to a 9850BE. With +30mV and 2% ACC I am at 3gz stable, 1 hour of OCCT. Used a Zalman 9700 and so far 52c in games, 32 idle, 55-57 100% all cores 40 mins or more. All that with fan at 2200 rpm so more room there, it goes to 2800, gets noisy then though.

I am not unhappy. Fast snappy system plays LOTRO, Oblivion, Bioshock, HL2 Ep2 all fine oh high settings and 8x - 12x AA and 8x to 16x AF.

I cannot up the HT at all. OCCT will crash within 1 - 2 mins with an HT of 210. Multiplier of 15.5 and Win XP crashes almost immediately.

I had hoped for 3.2 - 3.4. Zalman is doing it's job so I guess could raise volts some more.

I really feel I have all good hardware, love the Foxconn A7DA-S. I really feel things would be better with better drivers mostly for the 4850. I have alot of problems with Catalyst. Just install video drivers and no probems but install Catalyst and a game will eventually crash no matter what settings I try and use or not use. Overdive can be used for monitoring and that is about it. Crashes if I try and use the Stability test or save settings.

It's all still pretty new so I have hopes things will improve. As it is now it ain't bad, not bad at all.

Thanks for reading and would appreciate any advise on more OC on 9850 and more stability with Catalyst. I do want to use Edge-detect as I hate jaggies.
Try using the AMD Overdrive utility. That should help you get to the 3.4Ghz mark and above.

any, even minor, increase in HTT can result in massive instability. You don't need increased HTT speed; it's already so damn fast that you'll never use it. Concentrate on increasing the multiplier... that's it.

OCCT = bad over clock tester, try using p95v256 it stresses much better and will actually find problems with your system (i ran occt on my system at 3.6ghz stable, but p95 and sp2004 would crash within minutes)

Back