9900K + Noctua NH-U14S 80+ temps normal?

metallicaband

Limp Gawd
Motherboard and rest of spec in signature, stock settings no overclocks attempted (speed shows at around 4.6, 4.7 Ghz on full load).

I haven't used stress programs yet, I work mostly with 3D applications like unreal engine and under load the temps do shoot up to 85+, which worries me a bit because I still didn't overclock the thing and the CPU cooler I have should be pretty good even though it's air cooling. Ambient temps are normal, the CPU idle temps are actually very good at around 24-26 Celsius degrees.

I haven't overclocked a CPU since my first gen 930 so I'm out of the loop when it comes to keeping track of what's a good voltage and what not.

I use Core Temp application to see the CPU speeds and temps, the VID there shows the voltage shooting up to 1.2651 volts or so, I have no idea if that's too much voltage from the motherboard's auto settings.

So here's what I can think of so far as the cause for high temps:

1- Those temps aren't abnormal for a 9900k, I knew they ran hot but didn't expect it to be that hot with a good cooler.
2- Mobo auto setting feeding too much voltage.
3- Bad heatsink seating and I should reseat it, I used line method, if I do it again it will be the blob in middle thing. Kinda sucks to do that while everything is installed now.
4- I just had bad luck with my CPU batch.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated guys.

PS: I apologize if this thread doesn't belong in this section but since I didn't overclock I didn't put it in the overclock sub-forum, if it's better suited there then mods please move it if possible.

Last edited:
The 9900k really needs a AIO water cooler it runs hot as hell. Those temps with an air cooler seem normal to me. Im running a corsair h115i pro AIO and im getting 80c 4.8ghz all core under intel xtu benchmark.
Agreed the 9900k are huge heaters, those temps are fairly normal. Unless you using an insanely high CFM fan an AIO would be a solid improvement and/or delidding it with liquid metal, something to consider if its uncomfortably hot for you.

I have the same EVGA mobo and couldn't get it stable at stock with auto voltage initially. One of the things I highly recommend is update to the latest bios, that improved my clocking greatly and reduced the temps of the CPU oddly enough.
I can relay you the settings that worked for me if you like, I'm pretty sure I got one of the better binned chips though so unsure if you'll see the same.

As far as voltage, seeing it in the 1.25v +- 0.05 on auto is expected, to get it stable I manually set mine to 1.26v at 5.0ghz (with 2 AVX ~ so really 4.8Ghz).
I have a corsair H110i GTX and get about the same 80-85c temps as sanitarium when in performance mode on the pump using intel burn test (I'm doing push/pull though with low rpm pull and high rpm fans pushing, the high rpm only turn on when its over 65c).

How much CPU usage is showing being used when under load? (if its less than 75% usage then there might be something else at play, if its 100% then thats about right temp wise at stock)

Last edited:
I think auto voltage on an OC still contributes to the excess heat. Mobo mfgs have to pump enough voltage in on auto to run even the worst examples of the CPU. Yours may indeed need that much, but it might be able to get by with quite a bit less with quite a bit less heat.

Back