A delay when streaming to Windows 7 Imac

Hey guys,

I have 2 Windows 7 64 bit PC's in my bedroom and an Imac in my living room. Both are directly connected to the internet by Ethernet. I have a Gigabit Switch in my bedroom which connects both PC's in my bedroom to the internet.

I have an optimum Online Cable Modem and I have their Net gear Router in my living room which connect to all my my PC's. I made sure that the Ethernet cables were at least Cat 5E so I would get Gigabit ethernet. I have both PC's in my bedroom shared.

When transferring large files between the PCs in my bedroom I normally get up to 80 mb/s transfer speed (Sometimes less). When streaming movies between both PC's my movies play pretty much instantaneously. I recently installed Windows 7 on my Imac in the living room through bootcamp and I starting streaming Full Blurays to my Imac (Windows 7 side), unfortunately they don't start playing instantaneously, there is a delay to a very long delay depending on the movie.

Some Full Blu-rays take as long as a minute before they start playing. I tried transferring files from my Imac in the living room to my PC upstairs and I only get about 11 mb/s transfer speed. I've seen the transfer speed start off as 20 mb/s and then goes about 10-11 mb/s I checked my ethernet cable that connects my Imac to my router and it says Cat 5E. I don't have this problem with my 2 PC's in my bedroom. My files are stored on USB 3.0 Mediasonic Enclosures.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well I share the drives on my PC's in my bedroom and access them on my Imac (Windows 7 side) and play the movies with Media Player Classic, VLC, and Pot Player.

Are you using the Windows "Homegroup" networking feature between your Imac Windows and your other windows machines? How are the files being streamed across your network?

Yes I am use the Windows "Homegroup" feature. I have a Netgear router which is connected to all of my computers.
May I ask what you mean when you say "How are the files being streamed across network"?

Yes I am use the Windows "Homegroup" feature. I have a Netgear router which is connected to all of my computers.
May I ask what you mean when you say "How are the files being streamed across network"?

First thing: I was asking about the use of Homegroup because I've found (and it's also well documented if you take a quick search) that there are massive slowdowns in file transfers and streaming when the computers are using the "homegroup" workgroup. There are multiple factors of networking settings that go into why there are problems (I blame Microsoft--I can't recall everything, but you can read up on it; many people have discussed this online). You can fix this (most of the time) by leaving "Homegroup" and then manually configuring the files and folders you want to make shared/available over your local network.

As an example, I experienced very slow file transfers (and also slow streaming) across my local network when the computers were using "Homegroup." File transfers could be as low as 50-100KB/s. Here is one discussion (of many) about this issue: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682340

Second, what I meant about how your files are being streamed across the network was whether you were using Homegroup (or some other mechanism)--which you've answered. :)

I ended up dumping windows-to-windows networking and opted for a NAS to avoid the windows configurations issues (and also so I wouldn't need both computers to be on all the time just so I could access data). But you should be able to leave the homegroup (there are instructions for how to do this online) and then set up network shared folders and mapping them on your other computer.

Back