A fair warning to those who want to use Lian Li and eVGA mobos

veritas7

Gawd
Today I put together (so far, hope it works :p) my first build, but I found a reasonable problem that may annoy others (as well as myself) in the future if you happen to have Lian Li PC V2000 Plus II and an eVGA 680i motherboard.

For some reason the motherboard seems straight on the case, but when I put in my eVGA 8800GT in to the PCI Express x16, I can't seem to get it to align perfectly - it was hard enough to even get it to fit, I was really worried that I would have to disassemble my whole rig that I had spent hours on and buy a different case and return the Lian Li.

Here is a pic of what happens so far with one 8800GT in (hopefully the second one won' have the same problem... :\ hoping), being crooked in my PCI slot and the second DVI output touching the case (bad!! ><). Pardon the phone camera, that's all I have ;_;.

did you put the screw into the top of the pci bracket to hold it straight? I find that some cases top expansion slots are a bit off, and your situation might occur.

did you put the screw into the top of the pci bracket to hold it straight? I find that some cases top expansion slots are a bit off, and your situation might occur.

Yes, I attached the twist screw in place like any other card or blank placeholder.

God this sucks aesthetically :< I hope it doesn't affect anything performance wise...

I've quit for tonight for building my computer... tomorrow all I have to do is install all the cases USB/Firewire/Audio wires on mobo, reapply the thermal paste job of mine (I suck at it... stock intel HSF with Artic Silver 5 yields 63 C idle... YOWZA!), install Windows and buy some extensions for the case fans since they all don't reach my mobo :\

The newbie blues >< sucks when you have a time limit hovering over your head and you don't want to put it off, in case something dies and I lose out on an RMA because I away back at college and I didn't finish my computer! >_<

Yes, I attached the twist screw in place like any other card or blank placeholder.

God this sucks aesthetically :< I hope it doesn't affect anything performance wise...

I've quit for tonight for building my computer... tomorrow all I have to do is install all the cases USB/Firewire/Audio wires on mobo, reapply the thermal paste job of mine (I suck at it... stock intel HSF with Artic Silver 5 yields 63 C idle... YOWZA!), install Windows and buy some extensions for the case fans since they all don't reach my mobo :\

The newbie blues >< sucks when you have a time limit hovering over your head and you don't want to put it off, in case something dies and I lose out on an RMA because I away back at college and I didn't finish my computer! >_<

Which CPU are you running in this rig? You may want to invest the ~40 bucks and get a solid cooling solution for that processor. WOWZA is right on that temp though.

Ya I would suggest picking up a aftermarket HSF for that. You'll love it in the long run.

Loosen up all the screws on your motherboard and slide it up a little more. There is some leeway for mounting with the motherboard holes being drilled a little larger than the screws.

Loosen up all the screws on your motherboard and slide it up a little more. There is some leeway for mounting with the motherboard holes being drilled a little larger than the screws.

That's my suggestion. :)

Did it work sliding the board a little i am also considering the lian li and have a 680i with a 8800gts 640mb.:(

Well, the card wasn't crooked too much, but the digital outputs touched the bottom if the card slot, which I am still able to attach to dvi cords perfectly fine.

I tried shifting but not much room for shifting.

I returned my 680i board (RMA'd, capacitor whine & fan headers didn't work right) for an abit IP35 :p so sorry if I can't answer any more questions.

Don't let the screw hole sit on the screw you have to lift it up a bit then screw... Mine is aligned perfectly... I thought that problem was on mine too, specially that the GTX are quire heavy... but I lifted it up a bit then screwed it tight.

If you notice from the inside those empty PCI brackets have quite a space between each... so just follow that trend.

Mine is aligned perfectly...

Didn't have any problem installing my 680i nor my 8800 GTS640 in my lian li v600b.

You should maybe loosen up the screws, like suggested above, and wiggle the board around a bit.

Back