A8N Premium not compatible with 3700+ San Diego!?

WarriorFX

n00b
I called up Asus tech support this weekend in regards to my A8N-SLI Deluxe. After seeing a review about my proc on NewEgg saying it was incompatible with the A8N-SLI Premium, I had to ask. BTW - it is the 939 AMD64 Athlon 3700+ San Diego w/1MB L2... The tech said, "at this time we do not recommend that processor with the Premium Edition." He also mentioned that a future BIOS upgrade might fix this.

Who knew? If you doubt me, you can call Asus tech support at 502-995-0883.

If you do - I'd like to know a more technical answer to this... why aren't all 939's compatible/supported?

BTW - I know there are several successful installs (read: systems keeping stable), and so does Asus...

I too have seen this mentioned about the Premium, have you heard anything about it's brother the 4000+ San Diego? I would imagine that if the 3700+ isn't 100% compatible with the A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium for that matter then the 4000+ wouldn't be either. With the San Diego's being so popular now it really doesn't make any sense not having a BIOS that officially supports them. :eek:

Brassua said:
I too have seen this mentioned about the Premium, have you heard anything about it's brother the 4000+ San Diego? I would imagine that if the 3700+ isn't 100% compatible with the A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium for that matter then the 4000+ wouldn't be either. With the San Diego's being so popular now it really doesn't make any sense not having a BIOS that supports them. :eek:
No I haven't heard anything about the 4000+ but on the phone he did mention "San Diego."

Also... have you noticed how the 3700+ is rarely seen in print advertisements. Go open your latest MaximumPC and check the advertisements... it's hardly mentioned... yet it's suppose to be an awesome core with great overclocking ability... I don't get it... whats so different about this one... ???

I know the San Diego core is one of their newer cores but it's not that new, I can't imagine Asus not making a BIOS that fully supports it. Since the 3700+ & the 4000+ San Diego's are the same except for the multiplier it confuses me on what exactly they are doing.

I have an a8n premium and a 3700+. it works fine other than the fact that my RAM refuses to run at 1T even though i only have two sticks. but that might be bad RAM, but eh i'm too lazy to deal with it when it runs fine at 2T. but yeah other than that it works fine.

2 sticks of RAM at 2T is not good. That is probably the issue but why just the 3700+?

I had a 3700+ in my Premium and had zero issues. OCed to 2.8Ghz on water and ran 2x1gb memory at 240mhz 2.5-4-4-10 1T. Maybe I'm special :confused:

Merc said:
2 sticks of RAM at 2T is not good. That is probably the issue but why just the 3700+?

Actually, the A8N-SLI Premium is not compatible with the San Diego core versions of the regular (non-FX, non-X2) Athlon 64 line. This means the E4 revision of the 3800+'s (yes, the E4 revision of the 3800+ is a San Diego core with half of its L2 cache disabled), the E4 rev of the 4000+'s and all of the 3700+'s. The 4000+ actually comes in two different versions: the one based on the Clawhammer core and the one based on the San Diego core. The only San Diego core CPUs which the A8N-SLI Premium supports at present are the Athlon 64 FX55 (E4 revision) and FX57 CPUs; in fact, the only E4 revisions of any CPU which the A8N-SLI Premium supports are the Athlon 64 FX55 and FX57 single-core CPUs and the Athlon 64 X2 dual-core CPUs. (For those who want to know, the E4 revision is the San Diego/Toledo core, while the E6 revision is the Venice/Manchester core.)

Weird, huh?

E4g1e said:
Actually, the A8N-SLI Premium is not compatible with the San Diego core versions of the regular (non-FX, non-X2) Athlon 64 line. This means the E4 revision of the 3800+'s (yes, the E4 revision of the 3800+ is a San Diego core with half of its L2 cache disabled), the E4 rev of the 4000+'s and all of the 3700+'s. The 4000+ actually comes in two different versions: the one based on the Clawhammer core and the one based on the San Diego core. The only San Diego core CPUs which the A8N-SLI Premium supports at present are the Athlon 64 FX55 (E4 revision) and FX57 CPUs; in fact, the only E4 revisions of any CPU which the A8N-SLI Premium supports are the Athlon 64 FX55 and FX57 single-core CPUs and the Athlon 64 X2 dual-core CPUs. (For those who want to know, the E4 revision is the San Diego/Toledo core, while the E6 revision is the Venice/Manchester core.)

Weird, huh?

Bah... I call bullshit here. As I said, I used a 3700+ for a while and got quite impressive clocks with it. I've also had a 4000+ in here for a short period of time, no problems. Right now, see sig. Running an opty, which is more or less a San Diego... 2.9Ghz at stock voltage hard seems incompatable to me.

Perhpas, the proper term would be not officially supported, but myself and many others have had no problems with this duo... so its far from incompatable.

E4g1e said:

Weird, huh?
Is it worth asking why they cannot support all 939's? Its kinda been misleading... thanks for the info!

Asus is getting stranger by the day. Their website is arguably the worst manufacturer's site I have ever visited, they release buggy BIOS (1014 and A8N SLI deluxe) and their boards are doomed to hardware failures out the door (see chipset fan and A8N SLI Deluxe). I believe I will be going elesewhere for my upgrade needs in the future.

I hate to see a company with a reputation for high quality products suddenly change stripes, seemingly overnight, and become one of the buggy manufacturers. Is it just that the NF4 chipset is screwed or is Asus releasing lousy products?

Viper87227 said:
Bah... I call bullshit here. As I said, I used a 3700+ for a while and got quite impressive clocks with it. I've also had a 4000+ in here for a short period of time, no problems. Right now, see sig. Running an opty, which is more or less a San Diego... 2.9Ghz at stock voltage hard seems incompatable to me.

Perhpas, the proper term would be not officially supported, but myself and many others have had no problems with this duo... so its far from incompatable.

Actually, you may use the SD core on that mobo - but at your own risk. And don't go calling Asus or AMD for technical support if any problems arise. What I meant to say that the SD-core CPUs are not officially supported by the A8N-SLI Premium.

i definetely do not like asus anymore

i'm selling my a8n sli premium and gettin the dfi nf4 lanparty ut sli expert

I've built systems with these cores in 3700+ and 4000+ flavors and all three versions of the board (Deluxe, Premium, 32 Premium) for the public with no issues.

Back