Abit IC7 Northbridge Fan Replacement Suggestions

UltimaParadox

Supreme [H]ardness
I am currently using the Rev2 of the Abit IC7's coolling solution the little orb with the fan. Soon though the IC7 and Proc are going to be given away and the o/cing will be put back down, but then one day I start to here some whinning coming from my computer, at first I though it was a case fan, but it ended up being the northbridge fan.

I checked out Excaliber PC's section on Abit Gear and see an Abit IC7 Northbridge fan replacement for 5.99 + 5 shipping, but is OOS.

So does anyone have any other suggestions for a replacement, preferrablly pretty cheap since there will be no o/cing, but something painless to install since I really dont want to mess with all that much anymore.

Of course I can always wait to get the stock one if you guys think that is my best option

Thanks for the help

also interested in this. been looking for a low-profile hsf to put on there, couldn't fit much under the xp90. :)

Dont even bother getting another Abit replacement because it will too fail. I have had at least 6 fans die on me, both old and new style. I finally went with the Thermalright NB-1C and am happy with it. I did notice a slight whine from the fan when I had all my fans on low, but I connected it to my fan controller and dropped the rpm below 7k and it went away.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thnb1.html

They also make a non copper one for 10 bucks less if you dont want to spend the extra cash.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thnb.html

SkuLLy|RT said:
also interested in this. been looking for a low-profile hsf to put on there, couldn't fit much under the xp90. :)
I also have the xp90 and my recommendation above works great with it. It actually fits with the xp-120 too, but isnt the easiest to install.

it'll fit under the xp90 eh? that's great, i really didn't think it would. :D i'll have to pick one of those up, and mebbe run it without the included delta fan. :)

if its the new style heatsink, just take off the fan. runs fine without it, thats what ive been doing to mine.

seems to be the time all of the early IC7-G adopters have fans that crap out: i was just about to posta thread on this exact topic, too, as my fan sounds like an old truck and i'm getting nervous (actually it's both, my 9700pro AND the northbridge... lucky me)

ok, the question is: will i be able to cool the northbridge passively with a good zalman cooler or something similar? ASUS 875 boards are passively cooled if i remember correctly and i'm sick of replacing the northbridge fan - already had one abit one crap out on me :(

i'm running my 2.4C @ 3.4 on my IC7 without a hsf on it at all currently, and it's working fine. can't say that i'm not a little paranoid that it's gonna flake out on me, but it definately works (for now) :eek: ;)

so i'm fairly positive that just a plain heatsink with no fan on the northbridge would be a-ok. :D

SkuLLy|RT said:
i'm running my 2.4C @ 3.4 on my IC7 without a hsf on it at all currently, and it's working fine. can't say that i'm not a little paranoid that it's gonna flake out on me, but it definately works (for now)

so i'm fairly positive that just a plain heatsink with no fan on the northbridge would be a-ok. :D

a) you're a brave man* :eek:
b) thanks

* OR got deep pockets and don't care it's gonna blow, of course ;)

it was poorly worded, but i definately meant no hsf on the northbridge, not my cpu. :D if that still makes me a brave man though, awesome. ;D

SkuLLy|RT said:
it was poorly worded, but i definately meant no hsf on the northbridge, not my cpu. :D if that still makes me a brave man though, awesome. ;D

lol, yes, you're still a brave man! if you hadn't had one on the CPU you'd be a dumb man* :p

* OR not much work to do with a thermally downclocked p4 to 200MHz

I put a Swiftech MCX-159 on my IS7, after a few months the tension in the wire broke one of the hooks off the mobo. It was a few days b4 I noticed the northbridge was running w/o a HS at all, and the only strange behavior was a few odd freezes (this was with a 2.4C @ 3.45 or so). I'd say running it 24/7 w/o an HS is brave, but apparently not a big deal on the i865/i875 chipsets! And if running with NO cooling at all is possible, passive has got to be sufficient.

Now if only Intel could put that kind of power efficiency into Prescott :p

Back