Abit IP35-E - Is this the best it gets?

jester55

Weaksauce
Hello everyone,
I'm looking at selling my current AMD components (mobo, DDR, cpu, and cpu cooler) so I can make the leap to Intel. I'm trying stay on a budget of around $400-$450 for a new mobo, 4gb DDR2, Q6600, and a good cooler. I will probably add another 4gb DDR2 in the next couple months. Is the Abit IP35-E the best it gets for a budget system like this? Is there any other board that can handle the above better without raping my wallet? Currently, as most of you know, I can purchase the IP35-E at NewEgg for $59.99 AR. This price is only good today, because the rebate ends today!:eek: Is this the best price I can ever get for this board?:confused:

Thanks,
-jester

DONT GET A 6-SERIES CPU!

They're pointless.

You're better off with a faster dual core Penryn over the Q6600.

Also, please note that for 90% of applications there is NO POINT to a quad core. not even CRYSIS is quad-threaded.

--neg

DONT GET A 6-SERIES CPU!

They're pointless.

Also, please note that for 90% of applications there is NO POINT to a quad core. not even CRYSIS is quad-threaded.

--neg
I'm sorry, but the question was not whether to buy a Q6600 or not? Did you even read my post? I have my reasons to purchase a quad and it has nothing to do with games....:eek:

regards,
-jester

The Abit IP35-E is a great board from what I've heard...I have the IP35 Pro and I'm very happy with it. For that price I would go for it...

Some useful info.
I tested Crysis with an overclocked 8800GT + an E8400 and got <1% framerate diifference with the CPU between 4GHz and 3GHz, and approx 3% loss at 2.65GHz
If you get SLI you will want more CPU power than a 3GHz C2D can provide.

Newer gfx cards are likely to need high clocked CPUs and some games put more load on the CPU as well, so its not cut and dry.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger before it was too late. I hope it is a good decision...:)

I just ordered the IP35 Pro, some good info came from here and a lot scattered about the internet. Abit really provides some of the best mainboards for the enthusiast market that are affordable. My friend just ponied up $300 for his ASUS Striker and aside from the SLI and some nifty features (lighted switches on board, rear-mount LCD, etc) it doesn't do much to warrant it's 'worth'. Don't get me wrong, ASUS is great and the board is nice but for the money the Abit seems hard to beat.

I'm running that board Abit IP35-e with a q6600 and 6GB of RAM.

Overclocked to 3.0Ghz with the stock retail Intel heatsink and fan and stock voltage on everything but the RAM (upped to 2.1)

The board is a champion for the price!

And to the second poster - Your way off your rocker...Most everything you read on this forum with the enthusiasts points to get the Q6600 over the 8400 for nearly everysingle type of PC user. You only give up a tiny amount for gaming but the gains of having four cores over two both now and in the future far outweight the small performance difference in a couple games.

I effing love my IP35-e, whenever I see it on sale I am tempted to buy another one, not because I need it, but because I might and it is getting harder to find.

+1 for the IP35-E. Great board. For the price you can't beat it.
Agreed. No problem pushing my E3110 to 4GHz or even 3.6GHz at stock volts except for upping the MCH to 1.29v and setting VTT to the next one (1.23__v I believe) - although I'm not really sure this is needed.

Agreed. No problem pushing my E3110 to 4GHz or even 3.6GHz at stock volts except for upping the MCH to 1.29v and setting VTT to the next one (1.23__v I believe) - although I'm not really sure this is needed.

Wow...decent chip there.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with this exact board, but can anyone tell me which BIOS allows the 45nm processors to boot on the IP35-Pro?

Nevermind...I'm a tard...for anyone one wondering Wolfdale CPU's should work after BIOS 12.

I bit at NewEgg for the IP35 and also picked up an E6750. First Intel combo since my Pentium 266. Been an AMD user since, till of course now. Hope I can see a difference from my current rig an AMD x2 [email protected] with an HD3870.

I should be getting my shipment this Friday!

DONT GET A 6-SERIES CPU!

They're pointless.

--neg

Wrong on so many levels. Stop spreading this FUD.

I had to buy my second one last night. I was installing a new CPU cooler and the screwdriver slipped and cut some of the motherboard traces.

Doh,

It won't boot now. I'm honest enough that I won't send it under warranty since it's my fault. Hopefully I can get both rebates though and only lose $70 bucks instead of $100 for my blunder.

Can RAM clock higher than DDR2-800 on the IP35-E? I know the specs state DDR2-800, but was wondering if it can go faster.

Archaea, you might try soldering the broken traces, if you know your way around a soldering iron.

Can RAM clock higher than DDR2-800 on the IP35-E? I know the specs state DDR2-800, but was wondering if it can go faster.

Archaea, you might try soldering the broken traces, if you know your way around a soldering iron.

Yeah you should be able to run your ram faster than 800. I'm fairly certain it has all the standard dividers.

And I doubt he'd be able to solder them, he most likely cut traces in the PCB.

I got an IP35-Pro for my new computer build back in Nov '07, first Intel build ever for me and it works great. 100% stable from the first bootup, overclocked my e6750 to 3.8ghz, could go higher but the memory I have is a little on the cheap side.

Great board overall with lots of features.

Back