Actually place your vote: Hard or Digital/Soft Copy of games

Hard or soft?

• [H]ard Copy

Votes: 114 57.6%
  • Digigal/Soft Copy

Votes: 84 42.4%

• Total voters
Until they drop the price of the digital versions vs the store bought versions, I will never pay full price for a digitally distributed game

I'll buy old games, like the xcom stuff that I misplaced years and years ago, or even the Max Payne bundle, but not new games.

I dont think there are enough stardock games for it to even be an option.

That should be a qualifier?

I don't think it should be one or the other. I should get the ability to download it and get a hard copy included in the price of the game. One company is doing and is doing it well and has not gone out of business. So it is a viable option IMO.

I love softcopy when its distributed through something like steam, and I can put it on any computer by simply logging in to my steam account, otherwise I like a hardcopy

I only buy hard copy if it's not on Steam - if it is on Steam, then I always buy it there.

No shuffling discs around to play different games, no cd keys, no box clutter, and when you're re-installing your games on a clean install, you can just leave Steam open overnight and all your games are ready for you in the morning - no intervention required :D

Not to mention that I'm a college student without a car, so downloading via Steam is easier than finding someone to drive me to Best Buy. :p

I'll buy it on steam before I buy a hard copy

Steam usually has deals anyways, and they give discounts if you buy a collection.

I only buy hard copy if it's not on Steam - if it is on Steam, then I always buy it there.

No shuffling discs around to play different games, no cd keys, no box clutter, and when you're re-installing your games on a clean install, you can just leave Steam open overnight and all your games are ready for you in the morning - no intervention required :D

This. Steam is the best way to get games.

I can't stand downloading games. It's fine if it's an old game, say 200mb or so, but downloading these new 3gb+ games takes a long time even on a good connection. Unless there is a major leap in technology, 5-10minute install>download+install.
That's a good point. Not everyone has an uber fast connection and I couldn't even image trying to download newer games with dialup. Plus more ISPs are throttling heavy users or charging for excess bandwidth.

Why the hell is a new game on Steam 50 bucks, when a copy at a store costs the same (or less) and I get a box, disc, manual AND I can re-sell it later on down the line. I get some stuff on Steam here and there, but usually when it's CHEAP, not when it's the same price as retail.
Couldn't agree more. There's a huge difference in actual cost... a hard copy involves pressing, printing, packaging, distribution, shipping, and retailers who get a hefty cut. Why shouldn't a downloaded copy be priced accordingly if the manufacturer doesn't incur all those other expenses?

I just checked, and newegg has the retail PC version of Fallout3 with free shipping for $3 less than Steam ($47 vs. $50). My husband bought the collector's edition ($67). It comes with a metal lunchbox, a bobblehead, a little hardcover book and an extra behind-the-scenes DVD. Just kinda neat geeky stuff. :)

While the argument of not everyone has a screaming fast connection is a convenient argument, I DO have a screaming fast connection ;) and I prefer to DL all my games now. If Steam doesn't have it, Direct 2 Drive does so I go through either of those two.

Back