Ad-Hoc Microsoft lies

PiratePowWow

Limp Gawd
I follow microsoft's instructions step-by-step for setting up an ad-hoc connection to use ICS. What tends to happen is the client computer never gets an IP. From that point on wireless is useless as it will not be able to connect to any other network until the machine is restarted.

I would pay up to $300 to kick Bill gates square in the nutsack.
I swear Windows is becoming more and more like AOL

Any advice would, of course, be much appreciated.

I was going to type out a reply and belittle you throughout it but I erased it as I'm not feeling in the mood right now. So instead, I'll ask some questions to try and get some information you should have filled your post with, instead of useless crap about kicking Bill Gates in the nutsack (Because we all know it's his fault :rolleyes:)

You've tried disabling the Windows Firewall, or any other firewall correct?
Have you tried using hardcoded IP's instead of counting on DHCP?
How far apart are the wireless hosts and what cards are you using?
Are both boxes XP SP2, what are they?

I spent 3 hrs trying to get this to work before posting btw

You should ALWAYS be able to rely on DHCP...

Nevertheless I tried setting manual IPs for the wireless adapters on each device. Not sure what to put for def. gateway. I tried putting nothing and I tried putting the other device's ip, neither worked. I also tried setting the host up for auto and the client for manual ip and vice versa. No go.

Of course I disabled the firewalls on both devices(though you should not have to do this)

The host and client comps are about 10-15ft apart in the same room.

The client is using an intel pro wireless a/b/g adapter and the host is using a plain jane 802.11b pci adapter made by xterasys (model 2511).

I have also tried using a network bridge between the wired and wireless connection on the host computer. No go there as well.

Both the client and host computers are running XP SP2, the client is a Lenovo y410 laptop and the host is an old p2 400mhz machine.

Of course I will be happy to provide any further information on my setup.

If you don't know what to put in for the default gateway I'd say your problem is probably a lack of knowledge.

The default gateway should be the IP address of the computer that connects directly to the internet. Keep things simple to start with. Set the computers up with static ip addresses. 192.168.1.0, 192.168.1.1, etc.

Confirm that the 2 computers can communicate with each other using the ping command. E.G. from 192.168.1.0 type from a command prompt
ping 192.168.1.1
If you get replies then the basic connection between the 2 computers is working, if you still can't get to the internet, there is something wrong with the configuration on the gateway computer.

Turn of all fierwalls aswell just to begin with. You can enable them later when everything works.

No, but I will ask what way is your connection setup?

Do you use a cable modem/DSL modem.

Anyway the host computer probably has a seperate network adapter that connects to the internet, it uses DHCP and your ISP supplies you with an ip address AND a gateway address. You don't need to set the gateway address on the LAN adapter for the host computer.

I tried every combination of default gateways I could conjure including leaving the host's blank. (which I don't really see how there is a host with an ad-hoc network...)

The host comp uses a wired NIC attached directly to a cable modem.

As I said you need to ensure all the computers can see each other first. The gateway address only comes into play when you try to access the internet, and on your other computers, this should be set to the IP of the computer attatched to the cable modem.

The default gateway is the ip address of the computer running ICS

A $40 or less wireless router would be the easiest thing to purchase to solve your problems, then you COULD rely on DHCP from the router and you wouldnt have to deal with settings IPs, etc

ICS was only usefull in the home when routers cost $200.

Back