Agh. AGP vanilla 6600 when?

I kept reading "end of this month." Now it's October 3. Where ma cards at?

Don't make me buy a PCIe mobo. Please don't.

as long as theyre out by christmas im happy. The pci express version of the 6600 and 6600gt are available on a few sites, but still very limited. I really want the 6600gt agp version, its suposed to kick some major butt for its 199 price tag

6600 GT - $199
6600 - $149

6600 GT does 20-30% better than 9800 XT in benchmarks and games.

Xbit did a review including a 'vanilla' 6600 vs a bunch of other cards.

While the 6600GT looks like an awesome card, the vanilla version...well...doesn't. In a lot of tests, it performs well under the 9800XT and more around the speed of a 9600XT (or, rather, the X600XT - the PCI-e version). I mean, it's faster than the X600XT, to be sure, but *not* *by* *much*.

They also included it in their 3dMark05 review, so you can see a 'single number' as far as how it stacks up against other cards, if that's your thing.

(And I mean "doesn't", because you can already buy that kind of performance at that price point - the 9600XTs perform almost exactly like the 6600 vanilla will, and you can get those for $130 shipped *right now*. The 6600GT is cool, though, because it is significantly outperforming 9800XTs at the $199 price point, and 9800XTs run $300+ still.)

Well, $149 is right around my price range. So should I go ahead and buy a used 9800Pro now, or wait 2 and save up for an AGP 6600GT?

like i originally thought, the 6600GT beats most 6800 NU's for 100 bucks less

im a little worried that the agp version wont be as good, since the 6800gt pic-e has a better score than than the 6800gt agp version

OTOH, most 6800nus can be modded to 6800GTs (it would seem, we will find out for sure Monday), in which case that will be the card to get.

Plus, AGP 6600GTs aren't going to be out for 'a while'. 'Late November' as the soonest, and we all know how long this generation has taken to get from initial release to "you can actually buy it for something close to MSRP now". The vanilla version we may see, but I bet they'll probably be selling the GT version for twice retail, and STILL have it backordered a month or more at most locations.

jojasary said:
im a little worried that the agp version wont be as good, since the 6800gt pic-e has a better score than than the 6800gt agp version

I'd take that with a grain of salt, though. In order to test the AGP versions against the PCI-E versions, they had to use two entirely different PCs. AMD doesn't have a PCI-E board yet!

They tried to get the motherboard+CPU+ram combination 'as close as possible' to equal, but probably failed, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the PCI-E vs AGP difference on the cards, especially if it's only by a couple FPS. In fact, your point is probably a good one as to seeing exactly how far they failed in their attempt. The 6800 PCI-E and 6800 AGP are *identical* cards, and PCI-E is simply going to provide no performance boost to this generation over AGP 8x, so we can assume those scores should have been identical. Same deal with the 9600XT and the X600XT - same card, again, so if the systems had been TRULY equal, those scores should have been identical, as well.

While they give their results to a decimal value, I wouldn't count on them being accurate to within +/- 5 fps due to have to use different PCs.

Back