agp 9500 to x800gto worth it

"Worth it" always boils down to the application. What is your friend going to use it to do? If it's going to be a home theater PC, the 9500 should be fine. If gaming, "which games?" will help you decide which brand or expense is desired. For games with some age (think 1998-2003) the 9500 should do the job.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I couldn't find any better priced options than the one you've got there, but I didn't do a lot of searching either. Monarch and Newegg generally trump all.

so not.
but going to a 7800 GT for 300 (only 50 or so more) is worth it.
why would you want to upgrade by only 1 generation, when for almost the same price, you can go up by 2 generations.

(if ati had the 1x00 series available then maybe that, but as it stands, it does not)

but for that you would need a new system

I think that if your system is that old as to have an agp slot,, then you should use either this holday season or something like that to upgrade to a new PCIe system

also

how many games and how often do you play?
if not often and not many, then maybe it is worth it....

dj_spanmaster said:
"Worth it" always boils down to the application. What is your friend going to use it to do? If it's going to be a home theater PC, the 9500 should be fine. If gaming, "which games?" will help you decide which brand or expense is desired. For games with some age (think 1998-2003) the 9500 should do the job.

good points. You need that info to get a good answer yet it doesn't seem to occur to many people starting threads here at the [H]

Megalomaniac said:
how many games and how often do you play?
if not often and not many, then maybe it is worth it....

What in the hell? Why would it be worth it if he doesn't play a lot of games?

it would be worth to ONLY upgrade the graphics card if he want to play 1 or 2 games that he can't play now.

IF he wants to play MORE than that, then he should get a system upgrade

9500 to anything better than a 9800PRO is generally worth it, in my opinion. Personally, I would go for an X700 AGP for $100 - very high quality card, and cheap too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102583

The X800GTO is also good, though. It mostly depends on the textures of the games your friend is because this is what you're mostly paying for with AGP cards nowadays. FEAR is a memory hog -- my Radeon X850 XT PE is laggy times when the game is set at maximum textures. However, with games like HL2 or FarCry, it doesn't matter as much because these games were made when the average user had less video memory than he does now.

Back