air conditioning failled ... 95F ---- all boxen turned off

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member
Had to turn off all of the machines. Not sure what the problem is... the AC just doesn't cool the house any longer. The fan is turning... the compressor seems to be running. And a tiny bit of cold air is coming out of the air vents. :confused:

Until I figure this out... I will keep all of my boxen off. Very hot outside... and inside as well. :mad:

wish me luck. :(

blocked or clogged condensor or evaporator will almost always be the cause of your symptoms.

if it's frozen up (highly likely), turn on the furnace.... it'll melt the condenser.... and have someone add in some coolant for your AC unit.... and check for leaks....

Had to turn off all of the machines. Not sure what the problem is... the AC just doesn't cool the house any longer. The fan is turning... the compressor seems to be running. And a tiny bit of cold air is coming out of the air vents. :confused:

Until I figure this out... I will keep all of my boxen off. Very hot outside... and inside as well. :mad:

wish me luck. :(

I feel your pain. I had that same problem and I change my hole AC system to make sure that won't happen anymore. I don't know what system you have but turn it off and look inside the in central unit where the fan is inside your house check and see if there is ice on the coils or on the compressor outside, That happen to my aunt. Or it could be the compressor starter. I don't know, im not a pro.

But I suggest calling a pro to come and check it out.

if it's frozen up (highly likely), turn on the furnace.... it'll melt the condenser.... and have someone add in some coolant for your AC unit.... and check for leaks....

That what I was trying to say but no need to turn on the heater in this kind of heat.

Ok, I toke pics (some people like pics so why not.)
What he means is check inside of
101_0725.jpg

and look where the coils are, mine is under where the filter is and it should look clean like this
101_0718.jpg

But what I also want you to check is outside, inside the compresser unit it self aka these
101_0724.jpg

(Look at those rusted POS next to mine :rolleyes: )
I Would look for any type of leafs in and arround the AC, Also check if there is ice in there too.

Sorry if I made you look like an idiot.

Check the filter.

Okay, will do. Can the filter make such a difference in the performance of an AC?

blocked or clogged condensor or evaporator will almost always be the cause of your symptoms.

okay, I will check it.

okay, I will check it.

Sorry if I made you look like an idiot.

Thanks for the pictures. [I can look like an idiot without any outside help!!! ;) ]

I'll check things out myself before calling the repair guys. Thanks for all of your advice.

I Would look for any type of leafs in and arround the AC, Also check if there is ice in there too.

Did you mean to check for leaks?

I did not notice any ice on the compressor... the outside thingy.

Did you mean to check for leaks?

I did not notice any ice on the compressor... the outside thingy.

No I mean if there are leafs arround the outside unit.

Also when the inside unit is on, is the outside unit big fan spining or hear the compressor?

No I mean if there are leafs arround the outside unit.

Also when the inside unit is on, is the outside unit big fan spining or hear the compressor?

okay.... no, there are no leafs around the compressor. Looks clean. And I can see and hear the fan running inside the compressor unit... and the compressor is making the usual noises.

could just be low on coolant too, or you could, god forbid, have non-condensables in your line. I have 3 AC units at my house and have had non-condensables in all three lines. Lousy builder.....

could just be low on coolant too, or you could, god forbid, have non-condensables in your line. I have 3 AC units at my house and have had non-condensables in all three lines. Lousy builder.....

What is a non-condensable?

ya, and it's a somewhat costly process to deal with. They have to pump all the coolant out your line, then dry the line and pump more coolent back in. After of course, checking the pressure and seeing if there are any leaks as well. Takes a bit of time and leaves you with a nice bill. In my case the noncondensables where there since the contractors put the units in, but it took a few years for things to move around in there and cause noticeable problems. When it comes to HVAC I've been cursed though...

Also I've had a filter so dirty (the one for my office) that it restriced airflow enough to freeze up the coils in the air hanler. At least with that you have some indication that there is a problem when condensation is dripping off your duct work.

During the 2nd year in my new house, the AC wasn't keeping up at all. 85 outside and 83 inside was the best it could do. Turned out to be noncondesnables. Same thing with the unit for the 2nd floor the following year.

I've also had 2 compressors fal, but not all at once. They started drawing upwards of 108amps, causing the lights to flicker and pulse while running and of course they weren't putting out good cool air anymore either.

Get an HVAC guy in to have a look around, and get your checkbook ready :(

ya, and it's a somewhat costly process to deal with. They have to pump all the coolant out your line, then dry the line and pump more coolent back in. After of course, checking the pressure and seeing if there are any leaks as well. Takes a bit of time and leaves you with a nice bill. In my case the noncondensables where there since the contractors put the units in, but it took a few years for things to move around in there and cause noticeable problems. When it comes to HVAC I've been cursed though...

Also I've had a filter so dirty (the one for my office) that it restriced airflow enough to freeze up the coils in the air hanler. At least with that you have some indication that there is a problem when condensation is dripping off your duct work.

During the 2nd year in my new house, the AC wasn't keeping up at all. 85 outside and 83 inside was the best it could do. Turned out to be noncondesnables. Same thing with the unit for the 2nd floor the following year.

I've also had 2 compressors fal, but not all at once. They started drawing upwards of 108amps, causing the lights to flicker and pulse while running and of course they weren't putting out good cool air anymore either.

Get an HVAC guy in to have a look around, and get your checkbook ready :(

108A :eek: who fogot to put the cicruit breaker in there.

They came out and "fix it" but also said that they cant do anything since the main line is only 110Amps and my waterheater uses 60amps

I have this btw:
http://www.titanheater.com/tankless-water-heaters.php

110A on a new build? I think code requires a minimum of 200A . Hell my dad's 20 year old house has 150A and my duplex has 400A per side. I'd look into finding a competent electrician and then suing the contractors for inadequate and possibly dangerous construction methods.

110A on a new build? I think code requires a minimum of 200A . Hell my dad's 20 year old house has 150A and my duplex has 400A per side. I'd look into finding a competent electrician and then suing the contractors for inadequate and possibly dangerous construction methods.

Made back in 04 but moved in last year, As of now I live in a condo. But im selling this place as we speak and waiting for someone to buy it to get the heck out of here.

I want my basement! :(

Edit: here my box.
104_0739.jpg

104_0741.jpg

Sorry for going so off topic there.

nice to see I'm not the only one with power issues this year.... I only have 100A service, and my 100A main died a few months ago... well, one side of it died... But $45 later, I have a new 100A breaker, and 4 dead PCs (between the heat and power issues)

nice to see I'm not the only one with a Cutler Hammer BR-style breaker box.... and not the only one with power issues this year.... I only have 100A service, and my 100A main died a few months ago... well, one side of it died... But $45 later, I have a new 100A breaker, and 4 dead PCs (between the heat and power issues)

You only have a 100a breaker @ 110v?

the breaker in those style boxes straddles both "sides" of the box... and a 110v feed from the power co goes to each side pole of the breaker.... that's how you get your 220 for ovens/AC compressors/etc

Update ---

I removed the filter... cleaned it with water. It is a re-usable kind that can be cleaned repeatedly. I let it dry. I placed it in the slot.... and it fell apart. As I removed the pieces it really disintegrated.

So a quick trip to the Depot and I had a new re-usable air filter. Brand new is nice. Cut to size... installed... turned the air back on... took about 3 hours total with stops for other errands.

By midnite... the house was cooled to 68F. And it is keeping the house cool all day with highs in the 90's again.

Everything seems to be working fine again.

I'm not sure why a filter made such a difference... it was not that dirty. Maybe something melted in the 3 hour wait time?

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Made back in 04 but moved in last year, As of now I live in a condo. But im selling this place as we speak and waiting for someone to buy it to get the heck out of here.

I want my basement! :(

Edit: here my box.
]

Sorry for going so off topic there.

Dude you posted pics of your box on the enterweb!

Update ---

I removed the filter... cleaned it with water. It is a re-usable kind that can be cleaned repeatedly. I let it dry. I placed it in the slot.... and it fell apart. As I removed the pieces it really disintegrated.

So a quick trip to the Depot and I had a new re-usable air filter. Brand new is nice. Cut to size... installed... turned the air back on... took about 3 hours total with stops for other errands.

By midnite... the house was cooled to 68F. And it is keeping the house cool all day with highs in the 90's again.

Everything seems to be working fine again.

I'm not sure why a filter made such a difference... it was not that dirty. Maybe something melted in the 3 hour wait time?

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Actually with two 110 AMP breakers you have a 200 AMP service to your house. 220 volt house wiring is made up of two 110 volt circuits. Here in the lower 48 we use 2 100 AMP breakers in a 200 AMP drop, but Canada has some weird rules, like a 27” TV here is a 28” in Canada even though it's the same TV. I think it's the French influence, they lie to their women about all things of size;)

The air filter is everything in the system. Once it gets dirty it stunts airflow into the evaporator thus allowing the coils in the unit to freeze up. Once frozen they won't cool what little air they allow to go past into the house. I clean my filter a minimum of once a month to keep power costs down and increase the life of the compressors.:)

Glad your AC is fixed.....
You failed to mention the important part: What of the boxen? ;)

boxen are good

all turned in some WU's yesterday... I had 4,236 points turned in. :D

I got all of the parts in for a new quad boxen... gonna take a day off work tomorrow to put the quad together!

Actually with two 110 AMP breakers you have a 200 AMP service to your house. 220 volt house wiring is made up of two 110 volt circuits. Here in the lower 48 we use 2 100 AMP breakers in a 200 AMP drop, but Canada has some weird rules, like a 27” TV here is a 28” in Canada even though it's the same TV. I think it's the French influence, they lie to their women about all things of size;)

The air filter is everything in the system. Once it gets dirty it stunts airflow into the evaporator thus allowing the coils in the unit to freeze up. Once frozen they won't cool what little air they allow to go past into the house. I clean my filter a minimum of once a month to keep power costs down and increase the life of the compressors.:)

The two 110A breakser will still trip when either (for 110v loads) or both (for 220v loads) legs exceeds 110A. They really don't combine. Now as long as he keeps the loads balanced to 100A or less on each leg he can have up to 200A. But as soon as he loads one leg or the other over 110A or turns on a 220V appliance the breaker will trip.

Back