Air or MB

.Wiggles.

Limp Gawd
I already have a Toshiba laptop, but i was thinking about buying a Mac. I have always wanted a mac and i think they are much more nicer and user friendly. Anyways i want either the Air or just a plain ol MacBook for school and stuff. My question is should i buy the MacBook Air and have no dvd drive and no extra programs or should i buy the Macbook with time capsule and office 08 for about a hundred dollars less than just the Air its self. The Air is beautiful and not having a dvd/cd drive wouldn't effect me much considering i think i have only inserted one or 2 disks into my laptop now in the past year.. i do everything online.

Thoughts and opinions for a Mac converter?

Thanks in advance

Air...no, Reg Macbook yes...Reg more powerful, more featured just a little thicker...Air...gimped..

Regular Macbook all the way. Much more powerful, yet light enough to be easily transported. The Air is the same size, but is just thinner. It's not worth it for a disabled computer.

Go into a store, play around with a Macbook to get a feel for it. Also, when I'm using a Macbook, it feels rigid, like it's not gonna snap in half.

I just got my MB a week ago and I LOVE it. I wouldn't trade it for anything, with the exception of a MBP, if I needed the power -- which I don't.

I owuld get the MB. It's more powerful and is not big by any means. It's one of the slimmest and sleekest laptop I've seen. Well worth the money, especially when I can get 6.9hrs out of the battery with wifi ON!!!

they both are very beautiful, but man im not sure if the price difference justifies getting a MBA. They both will do what i want it to do, which is email and word processing basically thats it. Paying for a computer just for that is crazy, but my brother needs a laptop very badly and i was just going to give him my PC. I've always wanted a Mac!

I would get the normal Macbook then; the Air has its "nice" features but overall the Macbook is the better price v. performance ratio. Plus you save money and can get a few other things it seems you may want. :)

MacBook all the way! Much more bang for the buck than the Air. I had a white MB and liked it a lot... until I bought my MBP! :D

Macbook ftw. The air has no internal optical, unless you don't need an internal one.

Macbook.

So help you god if you ever need to use an ethernet connection, and you've purchased an Air.

I wouldnt need an optical drive nor a ethernet port, i never use either of them.

You never know man, you never know. I run a wireless network, and wireless internet is available at my school campus, but I end up relying on an ethernet cord all the time, due to freak tech failure stuff. Also, for secure transactions, where a password that is highly important, wireless is inherently less secure than ethernet.

Optical, I thought I'd never need, but so far, I've been required to burn several discs of work for my teachers, and fellow students. It's an extra perk at minimum weight.

Another point, there is only one speaker on the Air, and it throughly sucks so far.

Now, just so you realize, the Air and the Macbook in length and width are the same- The only difference is thickness. Is the thinness worth all the extra money.. that might be spent on other stuff if you got a Macbook?

I'm going to mirror what everyone else has said thus far and recommend a MacBook. I don't see the tradeoff for the Air (anymore), personally. The only things it has over the vanilla MacBook is the thinness and screen, both of which I'd be willing to sacrifice over spending a few more hundred dollars.

Honestly, I'd pick up a Black MacBook, drop 4GB of RAM into it and call it good. I don't think the MacBook Air is worth the money.

Now, just so you realize, the Air and the Macbook in length and width are the same- The only difference is thickness. Is the thinness worth all the extra money.. that might be spent on other stuff if you got a Macbook?

Yeah i know that, but i think i have decided on going with the MacBook and also going to buy the time capsule as ill need a router for my apartment when i head back to school.

As you already made up your mind, I'll reassure your purchase with a Macbook. The air has a whole lot of nothing-special for what you seem to be looking for.
Honestly, I see the Air flopping in ways, it may be thin, but the cons far outweigh the pros.
Have fun with your Mac!

Get a normal Macbook and then upgrade the RAM with sticks from Newegg or Crucial or wherever it is that you guys recommend buying RAM from - it's been a while since I bought parts on the interwebs. It will be more than powerful enough for you, and trust me, you will like being able to be plugged into a printer without sacrificing the ability to have a flash drive plugged in.

It's bigger and heavier but it's more capable.

Get a MacBook, although you may be tempted by the Mac Portable

macportableds6.jpg

I'll put my vote in for a MacBook. I spent a good hour talking to people at the local Apple store and using the air the other day and came to the conclusion that it's just not right for most people right now. The difference in speed between the SSD and the regular drive is extreme. I checked the boot times and it was literally more than twice as fast on a SSD. But losing space in the name of speed for $1000 is ludicrous. The graphic are notably slow, even bringing up spaces or the dashboard is jerky, not an issue I've ever seen on a MacBook, and the lack of ports is all but unforgivable. I don't miss the optical drive, I only use the one on my MBP once or twice a month, and it's the most problem-prone piece of the computer, but right now the Air makes a few too many sacrifices in the name of aesthetics. I can't recommend it. Even the salespeople I spoke to agree that they push people towards a MacBook quite frequently. In a revision or three, the Air will be a serious contender for ultra-portable, but right now the MacBook will be everything you could ask for. Easily upgradeable, fast, and stylish. What's not to like?

Back