All computers are different. Need PSU for my build

djkilla

Weaksauce
I have no idea what PSU I need so looking for reliable good advice.

Lian Li PC-8N case (2 - 120mm fans)
ASUS X99-A Motherboard
Intel i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz (Might do a light overclock)
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
ADATA XPG Z1 16GB DDR4 2133 Memory
EVGA 04G-2982-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb SSD
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

**I'm not planning on SLI in the future. Might do a light overclock on the CPU but not the memory.

It will run on less, but 500W is a good number to build around. So probably look for a power supply in the 500-600W range so you increase your brand/model options a bit. Seasonic has good offerings in that range. Corsair has some good stuff around that wattage too. Do you have any brand preference, modular vs semi-modular, does it need to be silent , is price a factor, etc?

Thanks for your help Suprfire. I don't have a brand preference but want the best. I see Seasonic mentioned a lot so I assume that's the brand to get. I only need the hardware I'm using to work and don't plan to install additional fans or anything else so I'm guessing modular will work fine with my parts I selected? Silent is always good but I'm open to anything as long as it powers my stuff. Price is not a factor so I prefer a quality brand with enough power for the parts I selected. Thanks again for your help!

The only real difference with modular is the cables are detachable. Not required by any means if the budget isn't there for one.

Having said that: I won't go back to a non-modular PSU again if I can avoid it. The fully modular ones like Seasonic does are quite nice to install as there's literally nothing connected to the PSU when you're putting it in the case. Some of the lesser modular ones will still have the motherboard cable connected, still easier just not quite as easy.

A 5930k seems like a bit of a waste if you don't plan on SLI. Why not the 5820k?

@Tsumi - It's a faster processor at 3.5, I might do a light overclock but in case I don't and stay in the safe zone, then I'll know at least I've got a good speed to stay at.

Took a look at Seasonic's website and there's a lot of PSU models. Which is the best to get for my build? I think having a fan on the power supply is what I need because I plan to have this build for years running all day just about everyday (Off every night though). This is the last piece to select and I'm set to start building. Big thanks to everyone who took the time to offer help. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate the help from you guys!

To narrow it down, I've got only Seasonic 500w-650w to choose from at Newegg at the following link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4081 600014085 8000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&page=1

Last edited:
So 200 mhz is worth $200 to you? Something the 5820k can easily do at the same voltages as the 5930k? I mean, they are literally the same die, with some parts disabled. Well, it's your money.

Which PSU you choose depends on how much you want to spend. If you want something that just works, then choose a lower end one. If you want top-notch, choose the more expensive ones. All will work equally well. The more expensive ones have the possibility of lasting longer, and probably more efficient.

Got a quick question? If I get a Seasonic 1050w power supply, does that mean the computer or power supply will run around 1050w or just use what's needed?

Is 80plus Platinum necessary or is Gold and Bronze worth getting? Looking for quality but also something cool and efficient.

In general, higher levels of 80 plus indicate higher quality and higher efficiency. However, that is not always the case, and each model should be researched individually prior to purchasing.

The aiming for 50% is stupid. Because your computer will be idling at under 15% (where PSUs are extremely inefficient), and typical load under 30%.

A power supply will only output as much power as is needed for the computer. For your computer, you're looking at an absolute maximum at 450 watts. Gaming you're looking at 250-350 watts, depending on the game. For a CPU only workload at 100%, probably about 200-250 watts. A light overclock will only increase these figures by 10-20 watts, especially if there is no overvolting.

Back