Alternatives to the A8N32?

trxjw

Limp Gawd
Just curious if anyone had heard or knows of a competitor for the A8N32. I don't mean the DFI, Asus, or MSI boards that run 16x (summed) in SLI, I mean boards that run 32x in SLI. With my new box I'm planning on running dual 512GTX's and space as well as heating is an issue for me considering the poor layout of the 16x slots.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, for some reason the search keeps crashing my firefox on these G5's. :rolleyes:

Abit has a board on thier page that uses the new chipset but it has not been released yet.

Tyan has a board with 2 x16 PCIe slots. It is the K8WE (S2895). But it is an expensive board meant for servers or workstations. It is a dual socket 940 Opteron board and both sockets have to be populated to get the 2nd PCIe x16 slot active.

I bought one only because I wanted PCI-X slots for a 12 port raid controller and didn't want to use Intel Xeons. The dual x16 PCIe SLI is a bonus. Early boards shipped without the SLI bridge but now the SLI bridge is included.

there's also a MSI board on the way

the K8N Diamond Plus has 32x PCIe

i'm also waiting to see how it perform :)

is there anything that can even come close to saturating that bandwidth?? i understand it is the progression of things.. but its like going from agp 4x to 8x. didnt hardly make a difference.

With the Asus anyway, it looks like the board is just more efficient, bandwidth aside. Even with single cards, there is a 5% increase in performance with identical cards. Doesn't look like it is a function of bandwidth, but maybe a different northbridge or something. So who knows what they did, but it's working better now. Check the review of the board over at anandtech looking specifically at the single card performance.

Back