Aluminum -- what machinery/at what cost?

Noah

Limp Gawd
I've already started a wood thread, now it's time for an aluminum one.. I may build this out of aluminum instead, not sure.

What machinery would I need? Where can I get some? What are the costs?

Maybe we should start an FAQ.

Try looking in your area for Aluminum extruding companies. I have been going to a company here in Cincinnati, that I have been getting drops or scrap for free.

It depends in what area you live some charge for drops and scrap, then some don't

You can get fairly cheap small-quantity aluminum sheets off places like onlinemetals.com.

The expensive part is getting somene to CNC everything for you, unless you just plan on slapping the pieces together. Most of the better CAD programs can have their files exported directly to newer CNC machines. Manually programming a CNC is a gigantic pain.

Check around the local colleges and see if any of the engineering departments have nice CNC machines. Then go find some kid in a CNC class and ask him to make something for you for an assignment.

IMO, by far your best resource for materials is the local phone book. Look for welding
and sheet metal shops. If they don't sell to the public, chances are they can point
you to someone who does.

I am a machinist/metalsmith & have any number of metal projects going on at one time. All
my metals come from the local welding supply house. Better selection and a lot cheaper
than places like Home Depot or online.

As for working with the Aluminum ... you should be able to use the same tools as for steel - Dremel, snips,
holesaw, hand files, etc ...

There are differences working with Aluminum & Steel obviously. That would likely be too technical
in this context so we'll leave it at that.

Back