Amazon CEO Andy Jassy threatens employees to return to office or "things are probably not going to work out for you"

The irony is real. The same people, pre and post slacking off at home and getting paid for it:

"CEOs only care about money, they don't give a shit about anything else!!!! They are ruthless capitalists who worship the dollar!"

"We are way more productive at home and make the company more money this way!!! CEOs are losing money on purpose so they can physically watch us work all day!!! They are so dumb and egotistical, why don't they care about making money!!!"

Pick one...but as someone who owns a business I'm gonna give you a hint that the truth is a lot closer to the first one. My board members and investors don't ask me if I satisfied my ego at work at month close, they ask me how much money I made them. If we lose money, my ass is on the line. If my company was more profitable with WFH I would absolutely love to ditch my lease, never have to yell at grown ass people about flushing the toilet and picking up after themselves, and make money without the hassle from my gorgeous home office.

But that's not the reality, which is why people whose job it is to make money - the CEOs - are ordering people back to the office. In this case, it is about the almighty dollar - believe it or not.
well in your case, where it sounds like you have a bunch of untrustworthy and immature employees, (holy $hit not flushing toilets and leaving trash laying around wtf) yes they should probably be in the office full time so someone can baby sit them, no argument there, but that is not the case in all companies.

Sounds like a direct threat to your life which in most states legally permits a lethal force response.

well in your case, where it sounds like you have a bunch of untrustworthy and immature employees, (holy $hit not flushing toilets and leaving trash laying around wtf) yes they should probably be in the office full time so someone can baby sit them, no argument there, but that is not the case in all companies.

Every company of decent size has a continuum of employees that range from mediocre to excellent. Believe it or not, at companies like Meta, Amazon, Apple, etc (ones leading the return to office charge) there are many employees who do not flush the toilets and leave trash around.

While there are exceptions, entry level employees tend to be less trustworthy and more immature than established employees. If people applying for my entry level positions were mature, reliable, A+ performers they would not be applying for those positions. So yes, some of my entry level people are certainly immature - just like every company has some immature employees. My senior people are not.

I promise you - wherever you work, your HR department and management knows a lot of hilarious things about your coworkers that you are probably not aware of.

There is always an office slob. Always. No matter how many you fire, no matter if you started hanging their corpses on the restroom doors, you will have them. They are more of a type than they are individuals, and getting rid of one typically leads another to arise.

There is always an office slob. Always. No matter how many you fire, no matter if you started hanging their corpses on the restroom doors, you will have them. They are more of a type than they are individuals, and getting rid of one typically leads another to arise.

People are fuckin wild. At some point right before I left my last job, I caught wind of some rumors of someone who would shit with the stall door wide open.

Maniacs walk amongst us

I've been full time wfh for about 10 years now thankfully, not having to deal with that craziness lol.
But even 10 years ago we had auto flushing toilets, I can't imagine large companies not having those wth.

People are fuckin wild. At some point right before I left my last job, I caught wind of some rumors of someone who would shit with the stall door wide open.

Maniacs walk amongst us
If you can't shit in public then you ain't shit.

Maniacs walk amongst us
i guess you haven’t been to a Mexican restaurant where they frequently don’t have a door, or even a curtain. Food’s better at those kinds of places, because they have been there so long for a reason.

Same BS such as "quiet/safe places".

Where I last worked this just translated to "just take a sick day if you're feeling burnt, you don't need to be literally sick." Managers were expected to understand it as a legitimate reason.

Personally I didn't give a fuck why anyone under me took off and what they classified it as, as long as they just gave a heads up, but some people are hard asses.

WTF are “mental health days?” Never heard of this. Is it like sick days for people with schizophrenia? Might be showing my age here…
Perhaps. I'm 41 and when I was 18 and naive, I learned the way the world works the hard way, like most of us too dumb to listen to our parents did.

But one thing I never understood was just how some people could be miserable, joyless people going to a job they hate for 30 years.

A mental health day is when you take off just to recharge from a job. Typically it is a non managerial job - even at the fire house we have them sometimes. It just resets you so when you go back next you are recharged and are your normal self. I might take one or two MH days a year.

Perhaps. I'm 41 and when I was 18 and naive, I learned the way the world works the hard way, like most of us too dumb to listen to our parents did.

But one thing I never understood was just how some people could be miserable, joyless people going to a job they hate for 30 years.

A mental health day is when you take off just to recharge from a job. Typically it is a non managerial job - even at the fire house we have them sometimes. It just resets you so when you go back next you are recharged and are your normal self. I might take one or two MH days a year.
Taking a day off from a job wont recharge shit for me. I loathed a job that I had and left for around 4 months for some military obligations... when I got back, I was "recharged" but I still hated it.

So not to get too political... This actually gives me a little bit of hope here. I've been hearing on various podcasts that lockdowns are coming again, and that the current administration is going to be ramping up the vaccine mandates and mask mandates around mid-to-end September. But if even Amazon is like "nuh-huh, y'all are coming back to the office" in the wake of this, then maybe nothing will happen?
I've been ill for a week but that was just a flu that turned worse. Had to take antibiotics. And all that as the temperature is more than 30°C (more than 85°F). No Covid. Covid is not any worse than a heavy flu today. The virus evolved to be less harmfull. It's a whole different virus. The original virus may never come back.
I think the lockdowns where stupid (just wear a N95 mask or better - a more breatheable KF94 or FFP2), and they will look much more stupid now.
I still believe the N95 and KN95 standard is too high and bad for wearing during allday life. The Korean standard is much more intelligent. The KF94 has the FFP2 European standard specs tissue, which is twice more breathable than the N95/KN95 from US/China with officiel 20% less filtering (94% salt particles instead of 95%). In fact N95 and FFP2 look the same, like close to 0% viruses passing through and the important thing is how good it fits on the face. KF94 has solved that issue, by offering a standard that fits on all faces comfortably. It never fits as good as the FFP2 standard when well adapted to the head but it's comfortable for all faces, can be put and retrieved at will easily. So KF94 is by far the best standard, most efficient, most comfortable, for everyday masks. And you can use one for one week, eventually put it in a standard oven at 75°C-165°F (or less than 90°C 195°F) for half an hour to kill all the Covid viruses on the front of the mask.

There are better masks with more filtering very unbreathable, called the N99/KN99 and the FFP3. It's difficult to walk and do physical work with those masks. Those are made for infected areas in hospitals or labs. There are even better masks with total filtering with adapted suits...

It looks like Sweden, without forcing lockdowns and masks, actually did better overall. But WFH and workers' rights in general are pretty big things in Scandinavia, so that might have had something to do with it.

It looks like Sweden, without forcing lockdowns and masks, actually did better overall. But WFH and workers' rights in general are pretty big things in Scandinavia, so that might have had something to do with it.

They didn't do that great given they seemingly double or tripled the deaths per million of their Scandinavian neighbors.

They didn't do that great given they seemingly double or tripled the deaths per million of their Scandinavian neighbors.

Yeah, at the very beginning. A lot of it had to do with the mismanagement of care homes for old people. But if you take the whole pandemic into account, the deaths/capita was actually lower than many other places, especially those with draconian lockdowns where many people died of preventable causes (not even COVID) simply because they couldn't access the healthcare that they needed.

My cushy government job wants us back in the office full time by the 18th. I put in my 2 weeks notice yesterday. Had no plans on leaving (money is great and so are the benefits) but received an offer I couldn't refuse and removing our WFH was the final straw for me. It was a great 3 years though, cruise control workflow and maxed out my contributions while saving money on gas and food. Not to mention I barely touched my sick leave balance in those 3 years so I'll be cashing out with almost 3 months pay. I was able to work from home while sick so never tapped into it.
You get to cash out sick time?

At least for all the private companies I work for, sick was forfeited, but they had to pay out any unused vacation time as that is accrued and counted as wage you've earned. That said, most of them don't even have separate anymore and you just have one bank of "PTO" these days with whatever sick time being whatever is mandated by state law with certain requirements around when you can use it and for what.

As someone who sees first-hand the reduced quality of work once WFH was implemented at my place of employment over the past 2-ish years, I'm absolutely not a fan of it (in my particular flavor of "IT work").

Are their sectors and specialty roles where WFH is viable? Absolutely, but for your run of the mill User and Site Support folks... nope, bring your asses into the office, you're supporting the USERS AND THE SITE. This is everything from "my mouse isn't working" to "our SAN is no longer talking to the ESX hosts", and everything in between. You can't interoffice that new mouse to the users desk from your house, just like I can't get that SAN back online from my house. I do 0 WFH, I like the mindset separation of work-Alpha and at-home-Alpha, and plus I am there on-site if something DOES occur. To be fair, I have an under 5 min drive to work, but again, these folks in my dept have all been here for a year or two now at this point. You don't like the drive in? 2 options; move closer, or find somewhere else to work. Offloading your work to the guys in the office (and pulling them away from the other work they've been doing) is just passing the buck. Not a fan, own your work and complete it.

As for our central teams... the mindset has been "if you can do your jobs from home, then it can be done overseas by someone else"... I've seen folks leave and their replacements pop up in non-US areas (I'll leave it at that). We have a few team-leads in the States, but most under them are not. I find the folks I work with on these teams to be 1 of 2 types; absolute rockstars, instant responses and super knowledgeable, or the folks asking me 2-3 times for details I've already put in the ticket I entered days ago. Not really much middle ground.

Anyway, my 2 cents working at a F200 company in a random town in the Midwest. It's in our blood to drive everywhere, so I personally don't get the big deal about a bit of seat-time :p

Same BS such as "quiet/safe places".
I wouldn’t say that I take a mental health day every couple of months because the alternative is me doing consecutive life sentences. Because days like today make me really really want to hurt some of the Management staff.

Told the CFO to find a solution for one them because my 4’th revision of the response to their request/demand still had too many F-Bombs.

Edit:
With a decently sober lawyer I think I could get off with 15y if I show them the emails and meeting minutes and work the “they deserved it” angle.

Last edited:
As someone who sees first-hand the reduced quality of work once WFH was implemented at my place of employment over the past 2-ish years, I'm absolutely not a fan of it (in my particular flavor of "IT work").

Are their sectors and specialty roles where WFH is viable? Absolutely, but for your run of the mill User and Site Support folks... nope, bring your asses into the office, you're supporting the USERS AND THE SITE. This is everything from "my mouse isn't working" to "our SAN is no longer talking to the ESX hosts", and everything in between. You can't interoffice that new mouse to the users desk from your house, just like I can't get that SAN back online from my house. I do 0 WFH, I like the mindset separation of work-Alpha and at-home-Alpha, and plus I am there on-site if something DOES occur. To be fair, I have an under 5 min drive to work, but again, these folks in my dept have all been here for a year or two now at this point. You don't like the drive in? 2 options; move closer, or find somewhere else to work. Offloading your work to the guys in the office (and pulling them away from the other work they've been doing) is just passing the buck. Not a fan, own your work and complete it.

As for our central teams... the mindset has been "if you can do your jobs from home, then it can be done overseas by someone else"... I've seen folks leave and their replacements pop up in non-US areas (I'll leave it at that). We have a few team-leads in the States, but most under them are not. I find the folks I work with on these teams to be 1 of 2 types; absolute rockstars, instant responses and super knowledgeable, or the folks asking me 2-3 times for details I've already put in the ticket I entered days ago. Not really much middle ground.

Anyway, my 2 cents working at a F200 company in a random town in the Midwest. It's in our blood to drive everywhere, so I personally don't get the big deal about a bit of seat-time :p
Absolutely, I know some developers who have moved to my remote ass end of nowhere from notable studios all over Canada, and they are apparently happy and productive.
Also a big uptick in people who used to live in the city working for banking or insurance companies and they worked desk jobs and all they have done is move their desks and get rid of 3h of a daily commute.
Lots of jobs that work from home are absolutely fine, but a lot where it really isn't.
But I also get that a lot of companies have much of their worth tied up in real estate assets and work from home is tanking those assets, in some cases by as much as 60%, that is a big ass portfolio hit and they need people back in those seats to try and turn that around for them.

I talked to Amazon customer service today because they sent me a 3rd party air pod case instead of a Logitech G903 case for my refurb mouse.
So they and sending the right case tomorrow. The problem is Amazon customer service is burrier though a series of links so alot of people wouldn't be able to find it. I even asked if they wanted a picture of the wrong item the service rep said "We value our valuable customers" I was ok

Last edited:
But I also get that a lot of companies have much of their worth tied up in real estate assets and work from home is tanking those assets, in some cases by as much as 60%, that is a big ass portfolio hit and they need people back in those seats to try and turn that around for them.
The real estate market needs to take a massive hit. The price of everything has been insane. For what? We keep people coming to work so they can never own a home and continue to pay rent so they can save time commuting? For what is essentially them working in a cubicle.

The real estate market needs to take a massive hit. The price of everything has been insane. For what? We keep people coming to work so they can never own a home and continue to pay rent so they can save time commuting? For what is essentially them working in a cubicle.
I'm not disagreeing in any way shape or form, real estate as it currently sits is little more than a scam, and it needs a reset.
I can simply understand why a bunch of companies would demand workers back to the office in an attempt to save their portfolios, even if it was detrimental to other aspects of their business.

Why not convert all that scamdemic-created empty commercial real estate into housing for millions of homeless and asylum seekers? The US doesn't have a need for more office space. What the US needs is a lot more low income housing. I am told California and New York are virtuous states, so they can lead by example here.

Why not convert all that scamdemic-created empty commercial real estate into housing for millions of homeless and asylum seekers?
I thought about this last year, and there's a lot of issues to address, starting with "not nearly enough bathrooms and kitchens." Probably be really expensive to retrofit that.

Just like there is always a lunch thief raiding the break room refrigerator.

I've worked in a lot of offices. There was always one.

Just like there is always a lunch thief raiding the break room refrigerator.

I've worked in a lot of offices. There was always one.
I've worked places where it sucked with the extra expense, but if you wanted to guarantee a meal, it made more sense to eat at a food truck or at a local restaurant.

Also, why is it the office slob(s) never know they are absolutely disgusting people? Blinders?

I've worked places where it sucked with the extra expense, but if you wanted to guarantee a meal, it made more sense to eat at a food truck or at a local restaurant.

Also, why is it the office slob(s) never know they are absolutely disgusting people? Blinders?

ugh, i hate having to plunge the toilet because someone destroyed it and then just walked out.

people leaning on other peoples cars in the lot.

people microwaving and then eating in the office some kind of probably too old cat fish dinner

We also had to put up signs to wash your hands before leaving the restrooms, though many dont bother.

people are gross and i hate them lol

ugh, i hate having to plunge the toilet because someone destroyed it and then just walked out.
You know how many times we had to tell supposedly educated nurses to stop flushing disposable wipes down the toilet?

Same toilet needed a snaking every week. Same shit. Disposable wipes.

*Edit* it's oh so extra cute when they stand there in bewilderment saying "oh gee, I don't know how that happened". Every. Time.

You know how many times we had to tell supposedly educated nurses to stop flushing disposable wipes down the toilet?

Same toilet needed a snaking every week. Same shit. Disposable wipes.

*Edit* it's oh so extra cute when they stand there in bewilderment saying "oh gee, I don't know how that happened". Every. Time.
That sounds no fun at all. I always wonder what these kinds of peoples houses look like, and at the same time i dont lol.

I thought about this last year, and there's a lot of issues to address, starting with "not nearly enough bathrooms and kitchens." Probably be really expensive to retrofit that.

It is extremely expensive, and rarely worth it. That's why very few have done it. There are also government zoning rules preventing it most places, and not a ton of pushback on it because it usually isn't worth it anyways.

The cheapest way to do it is would be have shared bathrooms and kitchen areas, but only the most desperate people want that, and it's almost always against government regulations on housing.

It is extremely expensive, and rarely worth it. That's why very few have done it. There are also government zoning rules preventing it most places, and not a ton of pushback on it because it usually isn't worth it anyways.

The cheapest way to do it is would be have shared bathrooms and kitchen areas, but only the most desperate people want that, and it's almost always against government regulations on housing.
I also expect that the main plumbing stack and utility hookups would be radically undersized, compared to an equivalently size apartment building.

I can't imagine the pushback they face. The town I'm in pushed back so hard against a halfway house and group homes most got cancelled.

Speaking of break room refrigerators, that was another thing. How many people left leftovers or condiments, and other crap in the fridge for years and the office manager would have to email grown ass adults every so often, hey clean your crap out of the refrigerator, also everything is getting tossed this weekend, so if you want to save a tubberware or lunchbox, better take it.

Why not convert all that scamdemic-created empty commercial real estate into housing for millions of homeless and asylum seekers? The US doesn't have a need for more office space. What the US needs is a lot more low income housing. I am told California and New York are virtuous states, so they can lead by example here.
That would be socialism and Americans don't like that. The problem with that is that it would just be bought and put for sale, like all real estate. Ex Governor Cuomo of NYC was involved in such a scam that basically put homeless is shit holes for profit. We need to stop allowing corporations from buying residential property, because a lot of homes are sitting empty. Go look at Zillow and see how many houses for sale are empty. No furniture, no beds, no nothing. Some homes do have furniture that is either placed by real estate agents or digitally imposed. They'll all empty because corporations are buying them and then doubling or tripling the price. Corporations can afford to sit on these homes for years before selling.

One of the things that's fueling work from home is the realization that the only way to own a home is to live in the boonies. Corporations are less likely to jack up the prices of homes out in the middle of nowhere. This is why this work from home thing exists.

The irony is real. The same people, pre and post slacking off at home and getting paid for it:

"CEOs only care about money, they don't give a shit about anything else!!!! They are ruthless capitalists who worship the dollar!"

"We are way more productive at home and make the company more money this way!!! CEOs are losing money on purpose so they can physically watch us work all day!!! They are so dumb and egotistical, why don't they care about making money!!!"

Pick one...but as someone who owns a business I'm gonna give you a hint that the truth is a lot closer to the first one. My board members and investors don't ask me if I satisfied my ego at work at month close, they ask me how much money I made them. If we lose money, my ass is on the line. If my company was more profitable with WFH I would absolutely love to ditch my lease, never have to yell at grown ass people about flushing the toilet and picking up after themselves, and make money without the hassle from my gorgeous home office.

But that's not the reality, which is why people whose job it is to make money - the CEOs - are ordering people back to the office. In this case, it is about the almighty dollar - believe it or not.
Company leaders are often more senior (read "older") than other people, and after we hit a certain age we all, no matter who we are are biased towards "the ways things used to be".

Company leaders are no different. They may THINK they are pursuing what is best for the company, but humans are by their very nature NOT RATIONAL. Human bias infiltrates everything and anything we as humans of any age do, and it only gets worse the older you get. There is no way to avoid bias completely, but you can mitigate it by asking the right questions. Question every single decision you make, ask yourself am I making this decision out of falling back on comfortable "knowns" or have I truly thoroughly analyzed everything from the ground up. Leaders who constantly question themselves and who encourage the c-suite they surround themselves with to also constantly question themselves, can avoid falling into the bias trap.

There may be some businesses for which what you describe makes sense, but overwhelmingly this mindset is driven by bias from those in leadership roles making them believe that they are more successful in the office.

I think if we cleared out the executive and C-Suites of anyone over 40, you'd have a completely different assessment of what approaches drive company profitability than we have today. Yes, this is ironic coming from myself, someone who is also over 40, but it is true. As we age we become less open minded about trying new things, and our brain more and more defaults to known "truths" which limits our abilities to make the right decisions.

Neuroscience is pretty unanimous and clear on this topic. Our ability to think quickly and rationally analyze things in our mind declines starting surprisingly early in our lives. We probably peak somewhere in our late teens to early 20's and then it starts tapering off. Subconsciously we over time develop mental shortcuts which replaces the need to compute everything in our heads, and this can in the short to medium term serve us very well. It replaces the need for the youthful mental sharpness. We call this experience, and it is often something that is very much sought after. After a certain point - however - the paradigms we have established for ourselves in our mental shortcuts start to no longer be universally true as the world changes around us, and that's when it starts holding us back.

There was a time when society and technology changed less rapidly than it does today, when you could hit 65 and retire, completing a career before the subconscious "mental shortcuts" we developed throughout our career became obsolete. This is no longer the case. It sounds terrible, and rings up conversations of age bias, but it really does seem to suggest that in the modern era, senior leadership needs to be younger in order to be effective. Or at the very least 40+ leadership needs to have a solid structure in place to challenge their innate biases at every turn.

In most organizations it's the "old guy in the corner office" that is holding them back from being more successful through his outmoded way of thinking.

No, working from home is not a silver bullet that is for everyone. There are challenges with this new reality, but there are challenges with the old "in the office" approach as well. It's not just being at home that wastes productivity. All of those "watercooler" conversations about peoples weekends, their families and the game are also hugely wasteful and harm a company, and in many workplaces this crap takes up a huge percentage of employees time.

Some things you have to overcome in a remote work setting are:

- How do you maintain a good company culture when people work from home
- Will there be a drop-off in creativity
- Will there be a drop-off in productivity
- How do you manage poor performers when they work from home
- How do you handle the training of new employees if no one is in the office
- Etc. etc.

These are not insurmountable challenges though.

I tend to think the best approach is the hybrid approach. Two or three days a week in the office, and the rest from home. If gives you the ability to have creative face to face meetings in person, AND go home and focus on more focused tasks. Arranging it right can be a little challenging though. In order for everytone to collaborate in person, you'd have to have everyone is in office days be the same, but if you do, then you can't save as much on office space as the office will either be empty or full and never in between.

You need to come up with dynamic open office environments, here everyone is issued a laptop, and each desk has a docking station, monitor and keyboard, and no one has their own desk. They just take one that is available when they come in. Then you have to coordinate some sort of alternating in office days. Maybe R&D are all in office on the same days, and marketing and sales are all in the office another days. This way you can benefit from a smaller office while also benefitting from work from home flexibility.

There are a lot of new challenges with remote work, but the organization that gets it right will crush the rest. They will attract the best talent, and save tons of money on office space that directly hits the bottom line. Companies that don't get it right will be left behind.

You get to cash out sick time?

At least for all the private companies I work for, sick was forfeited, but they had to pay out any unused vacation time as that is accrued and counted as wage you've earned. That said, most of them don't even have separate anymore and you just have one bank of "PTO" these days with whatever sick time being whatever is mandated by state law with certain requirements around when you can use it and for what.

My bad, I meant annual leave not sick. I barely tapped into either. Left with 320 hours of SL balance and almost 400 hours of AL which I was going to lose almost half of at the end of this year. And on the vacations I took during lockdowns I made sure I had wi-fi service lol. Not going to lie, 2020-2022 were some of the best years of my life. Lost over 100lbs, got engaged, was able to work on the side for extra cash, put a bunch in the market and made bank. So for every miserable lockdowner there were some incredibly happy introverts living their best life.

Last edited:
Back