Amazon.com 5850/5870 Pre-Order tracking thread

I think XFX is being sneaky!

A "Just Launched " seller on Amazon is selling 5850s for 300.00 + $6.49shipping.
The name of the seller is "XFX"

It looks like XFX is selling 5850s through Amazon, but not shipping them to fill the Amazon pre-orders.

Dig

Heh, good spot. Why would they sell them to Amazon for $250 or whatever the exact price is, when they could sell them themselves for $300? Amazon won't fill any of its orders until prices go down because none of the card manufacturers will give them cards at the retail price while other stores are willing to pay more. Heck they even peddled some on these forums for that same price instead of filling existing orders at lower prices.

I've never even received a delivery estimate date. Those of you that have them should feel lucky. I'm fine waiting, though. My 9800 GTX+ is doing great playing MW2 on my 1280 x 1024 monitor. I'll only need the 5850 when I decide on a new monitor.

XFX RADEON HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 PCI Express Card HD585AZNFC
Order Placed: October 27, 2009
Item(s) Subtotal: $259.99
Shipping & Handling: $7.35
Grand Total: $267.34
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. You can cancel at any time.

I just sent in this email:

Have been waiting for my order of an XFX 5850 video card to be fulfilled since October 27th. I understand if there is no stock, no order can be filled. However, I have seen this card, which is now selling at a higher price than it was when I ordered it, come in stock at other retailers.

What's really fishy is a "just launched" seller at Amazon named XFX (the same name as the manufacturer of the card) selling the card for $40 more and having it in stock. It's interesting that all of these other vendors can get stock in, even to sell them on Amazon, but Amazon cannot.

Is it possible my order will not be filled until all of the newer, higher priced orders are filled? Or will it actually be filled in the order it was taken?

And received, only a few minutes later, this reply:

Hello,

I'm sorry about this delay--we certainly didn't expect that this would happen.

Looking into your order, I see that "XFX RADEON HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 PCI Express Card HD585AZNFC" is back-ordered. Occasionally, unexpected fluctuations in supply will add time to our original availability estimate. I do understand that such changes can be frustrating for you.

Please be aware that the availability and shipping time frames listed on our website are estimates, not guarantees. While we do our best to adhere to these estimates, our inventory is constantly changing based on information we receive directly from our suppliers.

If you haven't received a shipment confirmation by December 27 and also if you have any further questions, let us know by visiting the URL below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/wheres-my-stuff.html/

I realize this is not what you expected when you placed this order, and it is understandable if you prefer to cancel it. To cancel your order, go to the URL below and click the "Need to cancel an item?" button:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html?orderID=103-2998771-7151421

We make a significant effort to keep abreast of prices and availabilities, but our reliance on our suppliers for information about the items they offer means that, occasionally, our database will not reflect all changes.

If you have further questions, please contact by e-mail or phone from any Help page on our web site.

http://www.amazon.com/help

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Obviously my actual questions weren't addressed and they just sent a form response. That adds to the frustration.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, as most of you, my XFX 5850 is in limbo, and I received the dreaded notice requiring my approval to ship if and when it ever arrives.

However, my Sapphire 5970 did ship on the 20th (Sunday which is odd- probably just shipping notification to UPS), and where once upon a time I would have been excited, I'm not so sure now. I waited so long to get a 58xx, and definitely had to replace my fan-failing HIS 4870, I finally broke down and got an XFX 5770 v2 to tide me over, not expecting either of the pre-order Amazon cards to ship anytime soon. Buying time into the new year. Now for my purposes the 5770 seems to be doing the trick- quiet, fast, cool (somewhat), and no graphical limitations at least that I can see. So do I really need the 5970? Should I check it out- keep it or return it?

I think XFX is being sneaky!

A "Just Launched " seller on Amazon is selling 5850s for 300.00 + $6.49shipping.
The name of the seller is "XFX"

It looks like XFX is selling 5850s through Amazon, but not shipping them to fill the Amazon pre-orders.

Dig

I'm not finding that seller or those cards... Got a link?

Amazon has the Sapphire 5850s in stock for $274 -- only $15 more than the XFX preorder. If XFX is going to dick around, I'm canceling my preorder and getting the Sapphire instead. And I'm adding XFX to my naughty list. :D

EDIT: It WAS $274, now $299. I canceled my preorder without getting the Sapphire. My 4850 will last me until Nvidia can respond.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Same BS response I am getting. They upgraded my shipping to Next Day but that does me little good at this point.

Not in stock. I am checking daily. I would order from TigerDirect, but I have amazon GC and the price is 274 when it comes back in stock.

I wonder if the 5870 prices are going to come down to normal. TD had a $359 after CB deal, and I think that's still going on. That is a viable alternative for the 5870 any way, especially since it's the xfx version. Might take you 2 months to get that $50 back, but at least you'll be enjoying the video card for 2 months...instead of waiting for 2 months.

Buy.com was offer about 10 5850 this morning. I have been refreshing the page all day for $273.99 with free shipping through Amazon.com.

I got in on one and the estimate arrival date is Jan 4th - 7th under standard shipping.

Here is hoping the order does not get cancelled.

Same BS response I am getting. They upgraded my shipping to Next Day but that does me little good at this point.

Just buy one elsewhere and keep your pre-order active. Let them swallow the overnight shipping costs but refuse delivery and receive a full refund. It isn't a nice tactic, but I guarantee it will make you feel better.

How much are these things worth anyway? They were supposed to be selling FULL RRP for $260. So discounted they should be worth - what 10% off $234? We're getting shafted peoples! Refuse to buy at these ridiculous prices.

Wait 1 month. Save maybe $70! :) I know what I'm doing.;)

How much are these things worth anyway? They were supposed to be selling FULL RRP for $260. So discounted they should be worth - what 10% off $234? We're getting shafted peoples! Refuse to buy at these ridiculous prices.

Wait 1 month. Save maybe $70! :) I know what I'm doing.;)

I got it 273 free shipped from Amazon via Buy.com. It shipped already and no you will not see 250 on these things with BCB in the next month. They will hold steady at 275 for a while.

I got it 273 free shipped from Amazon via Buy.com. It shipped already and no you will not see 250 on these things with BCB in the next month. They will hold steady at 275 for a while.

Not seeing any 5850 cards for that cheap (in stock or not) anywhere.

Lowest I've seen is $299 for a Sapphire and those seemed to have dried up.

Currently $304.99 or $309.99 seems to be common...

my xfx is expected to ship jan 11-25th. good thing I dont really need it, but got it at $259, so will cf other 2 i have, or sell it for a buck or 2 more.

Not seeing any 5850 cards for that cheap (in stock or not) anywhere.

Lowest I've seen is $299 for a Sapphire and those seemed to have dried up.

Currently $304.99 or $309.99 seems to be common...

Bling Bling

Anyone get theirs yet? I am still sitting at Delivery Estimate: January 7, 2010 - January 21, 2010.

I was checking on my preorder from beginning of October and noticed 6 sellers had our card instock all way higher than msrp. 321 to 369 of course Amazon is still out of stock.

I was checking on my preorder from beginning of October and noticed 6 sellers had our card instock all way higher than msrp. 321 to 369 of course Amazon is still out of stock.

Just got my 5850 2 nights ago from Buy.com for 274 shipped. Pretty sweet.

I still don't have a shipping date. Ordered Oct 27. I wonder what XFX is charging retail/online stores for these.. I would guess until it comes back down, Amazon won't fill these orders. As many as other retailers have gotten, I think they have had plenty of time to fill these. Just a hunch.

I emailed them to ask and they completely ignored all my questions and suggested that I order from one of their third party vendors. They won't even upgrade my shipping.

Same thing with my Brother. He ordered a 5850 from Amazon in early October when they were still at MSRP of around $259...which they still should be

He has NOT received his order yet, originally it told him ship around end of November, then by Christmas, now says February sometime :rolleyes:

What blows is that the 5850 cards could be selling for 260$ now since the demand is over but I dont think they will be that price again until around March.

You best believe I would be calling a high ranking member of Amazon if my Oct preorder wasn't here by now.

Someone that ordered on the 13th of Oct. got a shipping notice today. Still no estimated shipping date for my Oct. 27 order.

Amazon seems to be the worst of any of the retailers to get stock of the cards.

Although I personally wonder if AMD isn't limiting supply on purpose, just to keep the price jacked up above retail price. It may hurt AMD in the long run. I'm very close to just giving up on trying to get a card at a halfway reasonable price.

XFX is the only brand I will consider due to the insane prices, and because of their lifetime warranty, I had a good experience with them the last time I had a dead card.

My Oct 14th order (which I canceled while back) shipped out today...

My Oct 14th order (which I canceled while back) shipped out today...

Got your cancellation confirmation #?

If Amazon hits your Credit Card, then you can dispute the charge. Of course, you should not accept delivery as well...

Got your cancellation confirmation #?

If Amazon hits your Credit Card, then you can dispute the charge. Of course, you should not accept delivery as well...

I think I'll just play with it for a bit. If it's a noticeable step up from my current card I'll keep it, otherwise I'll flip it to some lucky guy on the forum for what I paid.

Any freaking time!!!

Ordered Oct. 20

Shipping estimate: January 11, 2010 - January 25, 2010

Since the prices on these cards are $20+ above MSRP, they're obviously trying to get you to pay more before shipping the cards.
3 months waiting, wow, you guys got cajones.

I didn't get a pre-order in from Amazon, but I just bit the bullet and figured $40 over MSRP is the price of one game. March is too far away to wait. But now the my UPS delivery is delayed due to a blizzard. Hopefully it's only a 1 day delay.

Amazon has to be kidding me. My estimated delivery date just went from this month to "We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will ship separately. You can cancel at any time."

Why don't they just say "Delivery slightly after Hell freezes over."

I said I was going to cancel my Amazon order but I never did. Instead I picked up an xfx 5850 from elsewhere and just let the Amazon order stand. I figured that when the Amazon 5850 shipped I will just run crossfire.

Well my Amazon order lists a ship date between jan11th and jan25th. Today is the 23rd and still nothing. The 40nm fab issues have apparently been solved so I'm assuming that Amazon will be getting these soon.

<tin foil hat time>
Even with the short supply I find it hard to believe that Amazon has been unable to fulfill preorders placed back in October which makes me wonder if they're holding out and trying to get people to cancel their preorders so that they don't have to eat the cost difference due to the price increase. That of course assumes that xfx was passing on the price increase to Amazon and not honoring the price at the time the orders were placed. Same deal with xfx back to AMD on not honoring pricing at the time of order. Who knows.
</tin foil hat time>

I've been following this thread for some time and feel angry for the folks who haven't received their cards yet.

I myself bit the bullet and paid $320 ($310 + shipping) for my XFX 5850 at NewEgg.

While I would've much rather paid the original MSRP of $259, I have had my card and enjoyed it for a while now.

Let's all hope the Fermi at least drives prices down to MSRP if not below.

I decided not to wait any longer, but I didn't want to reward either Amazon or XFX. One or both of them is guilty of some douchey behavior here.

If anyone's interested, the Egg has the PowerColor and HIS 5850s available right now for $289, with free shipping. That's only a $30 premium over the launch price, and something I can live with.

Back