Amazon vs. Newegg for memory prices

Anyone paying $115 for 6GB of DDR3 is a moron to beginwith.

I got some Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600 for ~$80 a kit x 2, that was maybe a month ago though and it might have been a special or something.

But still, 6GB should be under $100

Newegg decided to raise prices on most ddr3 kits this week, some even had two price hikes, and all in time for when I need to buy a kit :(

Wow, I hope people are shopping around.

People should do that on every purchase. It stops impulse buying if you
take the time to research, that alone helps save money. Not to mention, you
will sometimes find out of the way deals on the same thing you were fully intent on
buying at a much higher price.

I always, ALWAYS check fatwallet, the hot deals forum here, and one other resource
before I ever hit the buy button. So far, my savings = $130 on 2 items that I could
have bought at normal locations, but I went off the beaten path and found better deals.

The case in point here is just one of many :)

Newegg usually beats Amazon's prices. But it's always better to shop around.

I agree. But Newegg usually has such good price, and good service, that I have fallen in the habit of not shopping around. Often there will be a 3-5 dollar difference for a part, which I am happy to pay because I trust Newegg to address any problems that arise.

But for a saving of 30-50 bucks, I will go with another seller like Amazon or someone else reputable. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has fallen into the habit of just buying off of Newegg without price comparison.

Hate to say it but I'm a newegg fanboy. Over 113 orders 0 problems. Until that changes they have all my business.

I trust amazon a small bit more, i've had great experiences with both. Amazon prime + no tax in ca wins it for me.

However, Amazon's memory is limited to major brands like corsair and ocz, and they do not always have better prices than newegg.

Last edited:
Amazon is pretty much amazing on the return process. Newegg usually beats Amazon on prices, but recently Amazon has been selling those OCZ Plats really cheap. Newegg memory prices seem to fluctuate often. I bought a 4gb set of g.skill ddr3 1600 for 65$ and it rose to 75$ the next day o_o. Corsair sets seem to change frequently also.

Amazon is pretty much amazing on the return process. Newegg usually beats Amazon on prices, but recently Amazon has been selling those OCZ Plats really cheap. .

Low Voltage 2x2GB 1066 for $46!!! Incredible. Newegg was getting beat so badly, they deactivated them. They were $79 on the Egg.
For any of you guys wanting some cheap DDR2, these have the same ICs as 1200 Blades. They should hit 1150 5-5-5 without issue:http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-PC2-8500-Platinum-Voltage-OCZ2P1066LV4GK/dp/B002845LDC/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i usually go with newegg becaue it's so much easier to navigate through different sections. it does not seem as organized on amazon

What I sometimes do is go to Newegg to find the product I want to purchase (look at what it comes with, see the pictures, etc) then go to other web sites such as Amazon to price-check and see if I can get a deal. I get the benefits of navigating a decent web site to find what I want, and getting the cheaper price of a competitor.

Although I agree with most others here; I have had little problems with the Egg and fall into the habit of not shopping around.

-Cool-

The Egg still gets 95% of my business, but I have no alligence whatsoever to them. Tiger Direct, ZipZoom, Microcenter, Directron....it all works for me.

egg is good for alot of things ther ram now a days seems to be wayy to much but Amazon is realy good too dont bother me i use them both eggs got stuff cheeper i use them if not i shoot to amazon tirger direct etc.

Back