Amd 64 3500 Slow, help?

LmyB's

n00b
I just installed an amd 64 3500 for a client. Installed 3dmarks05 and it ran sooooo slow, also running slow in the normal opps. His system is the amd chip, asus k8v deluxe, EVGA deluxe running on 66.70 drivers, 1 gig corsair xsm memory. It's a fresh install with sp1 [I don't like sp2]. I just find it weird that a fresh install with such a good CPU is running like that. I am normally an Intel fan but he wanted his setup a gaming machine. If there so amd specific configs I can do than that would be great. I just want his system running top notch and right now its not even running par. Any help is greatly appreciated

list complete details of hardware and software installed and any modification to the bios if done and bios version, dont expect any help without the above information

For the love of everything, please install SP2.

Have you installed the board drivers? Not sure if thats a VIA or Nforce board.

First of all, don't judge the performance by the cpu tests in 05' as they're very intensive and all proccesors are brought to their knees.

If you're having problems in normal everyday applications though then something's up.

LmyB's said:
also running slow in the normal opps.

not sure if by "opps" he means OS or apps...oh well...

definitely try SP2 and update the BIOS for all of the parts...

check ur BIOS on boot too, make sure its configured to "3500+" speeds...it might have downclocked it for some reason...

that's all i can think of considering i'm dead and its only 10:44 :p

Is it cool n quiet acting up, had lots of trouble tickets on another gaming forum due to that feature..

check to make sure in the BIOS that the CPU freq is running at the rated speed.

when i first fired up my rig after installing the 3400+ in the asus k8v deluxe, my CPU was underclocked and running at only 800mhz.

in jumper free settings you have to set the cpu freq to the rated speed. i did in mine. it was much faster then.

ok first opps i meant opperations. The bios is set right, all updates besides sp2. I will update the bios when i get home from work. I really wasn't worried about it being slow in 3dmark but more when just doing shit. I would open more than one thing and the system would start to crawl. I run mostly intel and my 3.2 mutlitasks like a dream. Maybe it's just the amd is not good for multitasking, but it still seems to run to slow.

For the one that asked the whole system is

Asus a8v deluxe default bios
Amd 3500 socket 939 with a cooler master cooler
1 gig corsair xms memory 2-2-2-5
120 maxtor drive
sony dvd/cd burner
350 watts power supply

what video card 3DMark05 is VERY VERY GPU dependent if you want to test the cpu try super pi or sysmark04 or even sandra

that powersupply..350 might not be anough energy feeding to your system specially if u have a 6800

That isn't your problem, but gd install it. It fixed many BSOD problems, and I doubt you want the comp to mysteriously get BSOD.

Check BIOS - Make sure HTT set correctly.
Then use CPUZ or CPUID to find out that windows isnt changing anything.
Motherboard- Update to newest bios
350 Watt... Thats "OK" as long as its an Antec or equal, if not replace.
DRIVERS- Install Via chipset! 4in1 !!!! viaarena.com- If you haven't ^_^
Swap Mobos if ^^ doesn't work.

BTW- HT doesn't help that much if at all ^_^ Why do you think Intel like stopped promoting it? :p

QUOTE="show that hyperthreading's benefits largely are application- or even task-specific. For example, on the office applications that most people use--such as Microsoft's Word and Excel--hyperthreading had a neutral or slightly negative impact. And on tests specifically designed to expose the benefits of hyperthreading, many improvements were too slight to be detectable by the average user, except with select filters in Adobe Photoshop, with various video and photo programs such as Adobe Premiere and Roxio VideoWave, and on certain multitasking tests.

Furthermore, a comparison system equipped with AMD's Athlon XP 2800+, which runs at 2.25 GHz, more than held its own against these 3-GHz powerhouses that were running 800 MHz faster." END QUOTE

So the reason for the quote is to show you something is wrong, and no AMD isn't just slow :p

Rad777

Thanks for all the post i am going to start working on it tonight. for the power supply i told him he needed to replace, but he wanted to use his old case and psu. I tell you if anything helped.

Thanks again.

i have to ask what kind of tempuaters are you getting with your 3500 i get realty high i am wondering is it just the 939 or is there something that we should be concuried about

you say it's slow.. but what's your actual score in 3dmark'05? tell us the cpu score too...
my cpu score is about 5237 with the system in my sig

Summoner said:
For the love of everything, please install SP2.

Have you installed the board drivers? Not sure if thats a VIA or Nforce board.
For the love of pain, you mean?

what's this b.s..... What makes you think SP2 will give you wings to run 3dmark 05 faster? You don't need to install SP2.

I have the A8V with a +3500 ..and everything on it is pretty zippy ..and I have owned a 3.2EE chip and 2.4c's at 300mhz fsb .. but when I enabled cool&quiet ..this setup crawled like it kept switching to slower speeds and back up again at a fast rate (wich i guess is what its supposed to do , but I wouldnt think its supposed to be noticeable like it was and cause such a drastic performance hit)

Pretty much everything else has been mentioned...

how about DMA on the HDDs?

LmyB's, all this time you haven't mentioned what video card his system has. What is it?

Thanks a lot for all the support. This will sound stupid but during the install I installed PC-cillin which I did not mention. It turns out that it was running a program which is call pop3trap. That program was taking up 100% CPU. I end task and everything was great. I uninstalled and reinstalled and everything is great. So again I am pissed something so simple I did not check. Everything is great now. A score of 4654 on 3dmarks04 and a CPU score of 3564.

thanks

LmyB's said:
A score of 4654 on 3dmarks04 and a CPU score of 3564.
that's a pretty good overall score, but considering the system, the cpu score seems a bit low...

I will get back with an official CPU score tomorrow. I will post everything on the website.

wow shit i get like 41 idea and 50 load wow i put artic cooling paste was it that high for you on the default cpu cooler

mattman255 wow shit i get like 41 idea and 50 load wow i put artic cooling paste was it that high for you on the default cpu cooler

Sorry i dont know how to put quote.

I dont know what stock was because i bought oem. I also use artic thermal paste.

can you give us list of name that would do that to the cpu because i had a expreinice like that and i dont want to have another

Back