AMD Blocking Access To The Frame Buffer

Steve CLARIFY THAT IT IS THE FRAME BUIFFER OF GPU'S THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT christ some people are nubs ati is now amd

What are we going to do tonight Brian?

Tonight we are going to tell Nvidia off and buy ATI!!

Isn't that going to mess up our revenue for the year?

Sure, but hey, we've been in the red almost all of our lives, but it is true, our investors are partial to black. If we can only show them that 'red' is the NEW 'black'!!

Doesn't seem like a good enough plane for world destruction.... what else are we going to do?

We're going to play up to the RIAA and MPAA. These are much more important than our customers... that should guarantee eventual destruction!! The end of it all!!!

... well.. errr.. except for Intel....

sigh... yes, except for Intel...

Steve CLARIFY THAT IT IS THE FRAME BUIFFER OF GPU'S THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT christ some people are nubs ati is now amd

Geez people stop complaining and do your research. A frame buffer has nothing to do with the cpu

The framebuffer is a video output device that drives a video display from a memory buffer containing a complete frame of data.

Its all GPU.

I think the bigger misunderstanding is that people actually think this guy knows what he's talking about. This is an op-ed piece with the BAREST of factual info. The only thing he's talking about is HDCP. The guy doesn't really know what he's talking about.

This is not surprising,reminds me of that paper on the real cost of Vista DRM...

The writer,that prof,mentioned AMDati allot in his article.Did he know this was coming ?

Is this one of the things he was hinting at months ago... :eek:

I just find it funny now that it's almost easier for a hacker to break into somebody's PC and get thier private information than it is for somebody to play high definition content that they legitimately purchased on the same PC! I mean.. what the fuck? :confused:

Personally i hate this kind of thing last night i put Stranger Than Fiction into my computer to watch it (WinDVD7) and my computer was unable to read it because some sort of copy protection Sony put onto it. I was simply trying to watch a movie WATCH a movie i purchased and they locked me out because i had a burner and nero on my system. If they start limiting access to our own computers and allowing company's to control how and when you are able to view their content on our own computers things like this are only going to get worse. I can just see it now "You are unable to play this video because you dont have a (insert name brand) branded DVD-ROM." Or "Your hardware did not match the approved hardware list and connot play the media" Simply because i didnt purchase the hardware brand that they have in their wallet. Utter BS. And claiming it will help IT in security i can see them implementing this in thier server lines also so no loophole there.

This is yet another reason why I hate and despise Sony so much. Down with those f'in bastards I tell ya!

Thanatos and dR,Jester: Yea I agree, the things they do are absurd, and unfortunately its not just Sony.

I still like this quote best:

(Slyck News): What motivated you to help circumvent the content protection scheme associated with HD DVD and Blu-ray?

(muslix64): With the HD-DVD, I wasn't able to play my movie on my non-HDCP HD monitor. Not being able to play a movie that I have paid for, because some executive in Hollywood decided I cannot, made me mad...

http://www.slyck.com/story1390.html

Big business that step on consumers rights shouldn't be surprised when consumers start stepping on big business copyright rights. They push DRM: We break DRM, thats the way it works.

Long live all those charitable people who crack this stuff. Soon they will probably be our only defense. Just wait until they make knowing about this illeagal. Oh wait, they already did.

The point here that AMD seems to have forgotten is that RIAA and MPAA aren't the ones buying their products. Consumers like us are.

Very very disappointed to hear this, although I'm not necessarily going to switch to Intel - I'm sure they're doing something similar and it'll be interesting to hear just what that is in the coming days as this story matures.

Poorly written article; it definitely needs some clarification on the front page. I'm reading it as all GPU focused except the ill-considered first sentence of the second paragraph:

My latest revelation came during a recent visit to AMD for a day of briefings, mostly about the Barcelona quad-core Opteron and the Torrenza direct-connect coprocessor interface. During that visit, I got the briefest of updates on ATI’s new GPU (graphics processing unit) technology It will ship with software that plays movies on Blu-ray discs. The AMD rep spelled it out in words that would have been undiplomatic coming from me: He said that the new chips will “block unauthorized access to the frame buffer.” In short, that means an unauthorized party can’t save the contents of the display to a file on disk unless the content owner approves it.

Ignore the bit about the CPUs; they have nothing to do with the rest of the article.

It's the way of the world kiddies. It seems to be the trend of the 21 century for corps and big business. legislate, bribe and do whatever it takes to make laws favorable to profits. Whether it be unlawful practices of suing and demanding moneies from downloaders to DRM in the hardware. If you don't like it act on it. EFF is a good place to start. consumer rights act is on the table, go support it. It's only the biggining as the corps are banking on all us Americans to be too busy chasing the ever fleeeting American dreams to stand up and do anything, let alone notice. It may not be a big deal to restrict the frame buffer to some but it is only the begining. If you want to satisfy your distaste with as little as a few minutes of your time go here and support some of the actions. http://action.eff.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ADV_homepage
I can't believe when I hear things like "Well I can see the music companies getting some limitations on consumer uses" people are like freekin sheep today. How about we set the limits of what we buy and use as consumers and make the ferkin corps and big money figure out ways to make money around our rights!? I know kinda off subject but not really. I'm done ranting.

I'm very surprised.

I’ve always been a fan of underdogs (AMD) and, regardless, see competition (from both sides) as very consumer friendly. I’ve had a preference for AMD (DAMMIT) for many years, but the fact is I simply buy what performs best for the money at the time of purchase. This… well, would dramatically change my preference… so long as nVIDA remains uninfected.

I saw this post at InfoWorld and thought I would post it:

“Keep in mind this has nothing to do with what AMD wants, other than the desire to stay in business. Blu-Ray is developed so that it will not work without this kind of copy-protection technology, so you will see exactly the same thing happen with Intel, Nvidia, and anyone else who wants to make next-generation graphics chips that will play the latest media. The reaction to this article is unnecessarily negative toward AMD. People should be blaming the media giants that force not only AMD but everyone else in the market to conform to their standards if they want to keep selling chips that support the latest technology.”

Wow I got an idea, why don't they just say "fuck Blu-Ray". I see no mention of HD-DVD requiring this, though if someone would like - please prove me wrong.

It's real freaking simple. They want to control the media you watch. Simple solution: don't buy their media - boycott the bastards. I have NO intention of buying any High-Def movies at all, or even rent them.

They can kiss my ass.

I was upset the first time I read this but if I recall correctly we knew that this would be the case and I seriously doubt that access to the frame buffer is blocked in all cases. If HD content is playing and it's flagged to not allow copying of said content then the framebuffer is off limits. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me considering that's the spec in the first place. If the content owner doesn't want his/her content copied then the hardware needs to comply and dissallow it. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with this practice and I hope the ladies and gents out there with nothing better to do than hack this stuff continue to hack it. I'm sick of all the restrictions. If I want to be legit I'm restricted in all sorts of annoying ways. It's aggrevating.

It's sad, you really can't BUY anything these days. Media and technology have all these damn licenses attached to them. At the current pace we won't really own much of anything. We'll be paying absurd amounts of money for the right to use a device or play back media content, install software etc.

Let's see what AMD does with their products as far as content protection goes before jumping to any conclusions. It's a news post. I'll wait for [H]ard proof that AMD does in fact suck RIAA/MPAA balls (blocking frame buffer access in all usage scenarios) before I jump to any conclusions.

Ok, that's enough for me, I have to put the little one to bed. :)

If Sony and the other media companies "forced" this to happen, why couldn't Intel and AMD (the two obvious powerhouses in the CPU market) just reject their offers. If Intel and AMD decided to not block the frame buffer, they wouldn't lose any customers (how many people buy computers to watch Blu Ray anyways?), the media monopolists would. I can't see why Intel and AMD wouldn't just refuse to do this...unless of course they got a huge payoff from the media conglomerates, but if that happened, I'm sure they're trying to cover it up.

If Sony and the other media companies "forced" this to happen, why couldn't Intel and AMD (the two obvious powerhouses in the CPU market) just reject their offers. If Intel and AMD decided to not block the frame buffer, they wouldn't lose any customers (how many people buy computers to watch Blu Ray anyways?), the media monopolists would. I can't see why Intel and AMD wouldn't just refuse to do this...unless of course they got a huge payoff from the media conglomerates, but if that happened, I'm sure they're trying to cover it up.
Good point, it's not like some other company is going to pop up and start offering complete MPAA compliant graphics solutions which are competitive with ATI/AMD, or nVidia. You can't even game with an Intel graphics chip so gamers won't care if they are compliant.

By the time HD discs are popular there'll be hacks around the DRM on the discs themselves just like DVD's, so I'm not concerned in the slightest.

No need to panic, people. Just don't purchase the infected products.

It would be nice if AMD/ATI, NV, and Intel all said screw this we aint gonna do it.. However, we should be prepared to accept that they are... Intel, could perhaps afford to tell the mpaa to go f!#* themselves, but AMD and Nvidia can't.. The cries of fowl would be far worse if you could not play protected content legally on your Ati/Nv equipped pc because they did not implement this..

Blame the mpaa, sony, and the idiots that came up with this protection scheme.. Also blame the pirates, both casual and commercial, for this idiocy...

“Keep in mind this has nothing to do with what AMD wants, other than the desire to stay in business. Blu-Ray is developed so that it will not work without this kind of copy-protection technology, so you will see exactly the same thing happen with Intel, Nvidia, and anyone else who wants to make next-generation graphics chips that will play the latest media. The reaction to this article is unnecessarily negative toward AMD. People should be blaming the media giants that force not only AMD but everyone else in the market to conform to their standards if they want to keep selling chips that support the latest technology.”

EFF Blu-Ray, Hollywood, the RIAA, & all the other like-minded IP holders. I don't care what Draconian levels of DRM are incorporated into any stand-alone device, but leave my PC the hell alone. If that means no Blu-Ray in my PC, fine. I can live w/o that.

pandering to the media companies is a great idea, look how good it made windows Vista.

once computers are completely locked down real PCs might become quite valuable. whatever is the last motherboard, CPU and video card without this crap built in, will probably be what i stick with.

Somebody must have pants AMD!!

Now AMD is resorting to lies.... pathetic. Nothing negative about it. AMD has sold out against the consumer. We found out and now they are crying. AMD has figured out how to go massively in debt... cease revenue!!

My congrats to AMD.

Message to AMD, nothing says you have to support the unconstitutional plans of Blue ray.... hint. My guess is that you are trying to address ICT/AACS somehow.... but I would leave this mess in the hands of the players. That way you don't have to side with the enemy.. which is EXACTLY what you have done. In fact you are trumpeting their message in the streets and rallying everyone to sing the praises of blue-ray DRM.

For everyone else, my guess is that since AACS was cracked, that AMD was coerced to prevent home users from copying their own media for personal use (mind you that 99.9999999999999999999999% of all illegal copies are NOT done this way... but I digress). So since AACS was cracked, AMD WILLFULLY stepped up to the plate so that they would get the full blessing of the RIAA and MPAA.... nothing more.

AMD just needs to tell the truth.

Oh... and HP should be punished too for actually coming up with some of these anti-consumer measures. They are the brains behind the brainless RIAA and MPAA.

Somebody must have pants AMD!!
Oh... and HP should be punished too for actually coming up with some of these anti-consumer measures. They are the brains behind the brainless RIAA and MPAA.

I think its quite obvious that HP hardware (esp their printers) is made in a way that the consumer is forced to buy their toner/ink. HP expanding this type of control to their PC lineup shouldn't be too behind......

I've boycoted everything media industry related since the beginning of the p2p law suits. Screw them.

The media companies do not control me or my computer If they go this route I will never buy a piece of media again period. And we will start our own media company that is free of such crap. Now who will buy from such media company??? My guess almost everyone. And look Apple is down with DRM right my guess is they will increase in market share by hugh amounts. So will all they other Media companies that follow.

I don't think it's a big deal, for one, if you want to even watch anything Sony on your PC, you have to break the copy protection. Most consumer level people won't get past that. I can't imagine building a state of the art computer, just to watch high def on a small screen comp ? The hi-res is welcome on the large screen TV's, but standard DVD's look excellent on comps. But if the hw manufacturers want to go this route, maybe they should make a special model that supports blue ray, with a premium price over the fully featured standard part that doesn't play blue ray ? That way their R&D cost is covered by the people that want that capability, personaly I don't. Even with the monitor I use, blue ray won't be native res, so what's the point ? But if it adds no cost to the finished product, I couldn't care less. If blue ray survives Sony's meddling (betamax didn't) then I'll just get a stand alone player, and use the technology on a display that warrants the resolution.

What's the point Blu-ray and HD-DVD is already cracked. If the mass wants something broken it will be done.

Well see I build high end multi media centers for clients that do everything from gaming to music, movies and TV.

Most keep all bought movies on hard disk most of the time.
I made a special app that keeps it in a nice directory easy to use and watch,play whatever.
With Vista and its indexing and such its even better because its now even faster getting the hugh list of music and movies. Though with superfetch and stuff that slows the gaming down I think.
Faster then media center that is on Vista which is not saying much.
This could put me out of business in that part anyway.

not that i am for pirites but this is absurd everyone will have to pander to this crap. m$ did it with vista and look what came out of it a steaming pile of crap why can they not just say NO if the computer hardware and software industry takes a fuck off stance to the ip holders gee when the ip holders see there bottom lines hurting and when they wonder why they will know.

oh to note current hd standards will be rendered obsolete soon with all the tech being developed one very promiseing one is Holographic Data Storage cool stuff more info on stuff herehttp://dmnnewswire.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=127597

Yeah I'll admit the entire first page of comments that basically resulted in "Booo AMD Yay Intel" was rather funny. I kept thinking of people cheering on GMA950 over the R600.

It's real freaking simple. They want to control the media you watch. Simple solution: don't buy their media - boycott the bastards. I have NO intention of buying any High-Def movies at all, or even rent them.

They can kiss my ass.

Exactly. This is the real solution, to not buy HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray Discs. I would hope that everyone complaining doesn't own a single one. I don't.

anydvd already removes the artifical hmdi restriction on blue-ray and hd-dvd movies, so this is pointless, just a way for them to get M$ certified I guess. If they can block the fram buffer, hackers can unblock/open it;)

im waiting for the "illegal" HDMI to dvi boxes to come from China, you know, the one you hook dvi into, fakes the security handshake, and rebroadcasts it out as dvi...I am not upgrading my home theater/computer setup to alieviate the piracy fears of the movie and music industry...

AND wait until cheap hd-dvd and blue-ray burners and media hit the streets, the amount of piracy is going to make their (MPAA RIAA) heads spin. they can try to lock us out with firmware, but that will last a whole 15mins....

pandering to the media companies is a great idea, look how good it made windows Vista.

once computers are completely locked down real PCs might become quite valuable. whatever is the last motherboard, CPU and video card without this crap built in, will probably be what i stick with.

It is sad that it took until the 67th post in this thread for someone to finally even mention Vista.

I can't help but wonder how many people who are considering boycotting AMD over this already have Vista installed on their machines...

Exactly. Right now, the media companies want people to adopt HD content. If computer hardware manufacturers put their foot down and say: "We'd rather not have HD content than put up with your schemes," the media companies would fold.

Back