AMD Performance Drivers out.

Rather than get excited for no reason, how's actual performance?

Ill let you know when its done downloading, at 65% now

P.S. reason im excited, its the first time ATI/AMD has added in an option for custom Crossfire profiles. Thats a pretty big fucking deal

I Would like to report that im getting proper crossfire scaling since I could make a custom profile.

Without super sampling a solid 60fps with max setting and 8xaa in skyrim.

With super sampling my performance went up a bit from the previous drivers, around 40-60fps now while playing.

Overall not bad with Skyrim....so far at least

Ah I didn't catch that clip, well I didn't understand what you meant. I downloaded them but i'm at work, won't be able to try them out until I get home.

DASHIT,

Do you recommend these drivers over the old beta drivers + dll fix for Skyrim CFX?
I am getting pretty good CFX performance with that method and don't want to break it.
Do you keep the dll fix with these drivers? And what CAP are you using, 11.9 cap 4 still?

Thanks

DASHIT,

Do you recommend these drivers over the old beta drivers + dll fix for Skyrim CFX?
I am getting pretty good CFX performance with that method and don't want to break it.
Do you keep the dll fix with these drivers? And what CAP are you using, 11.9 cap 4 still?

Thanks

Yes. You can make a custom profile for any game you want now. I also installed the application profile install they had with the CCC installer.

Now with skyrim after my first post. I messed with the custom profile some more, so now I run it in AFR Friendly mode with super sampling AA on.

Indoors i get around 50-60, outdoors 40-60. and this is maxed out with 8xSSAA going!!

I also checked, and sure enough GPUZ is showing both gpu's on my 6990 at 99% activity.

I am shocked they didnt release this before, ANY new game now you can make a custom profile...and thats win in EVERY way

P.S. did i mention both gpu's are accually at 99%!!!!

Yes. You can make a custom profile for any game you want now. I also installed the application profile install they had with the CCC installer.

Now with skyrim after my first post. I messed with the custom profile some more, so now I run it in AFR Friendly mode with super sampling AA on.

P.S. did i mention both gpu's are accually at 99%!!!!

Indoors i get around 50-60, outdoors 40-60. and this is maxed out with 8xSSAA going!!

I also checked, and sure enough GPUZ is showing both gpu's on my 6990 at 99% activity.

I am shocked they didnt release this before, ANY new game now you can make a custom profile...and thats win in EVERY way

Does this mean that crossfire will now work with every single game out there? What exactly do you do to create a custom profile?

Does this mean that crossfire will now work with every single game out there? What exactly do you do to create a custom profile?

In the 3d application setting, there is a new option on the bottom that lets you choose 4 options now for Crossfire proiles.

Default mode, AFR Friendly mode, optimized 1x1, and use AMD Pre-defined profile.

Once you go to save the profile, you select the game of your choice for the profile to work on (TESV.exe).

With skyrim I choose to keep everything (application controlled), and put super sampling on, and the new option for Crossfire app's I use AFR Friendly mode.

I now get around 40-60fps in Whiterun....thats with 8xSSAA on, and both gpu's at 99%

In the 3d application setting, there is a new option on the bottom that lets you choose 4 options now for Crossfire proiles.

Default mode, AFR Friendly mode, optimized 1x1, and use AMD Pre-defined profile.

Once you go to save the profile, you select the game of your choice for the profile to work on (TESV.exe).

With skyrim I choose to keep everything (application controlled), and put super sampling on, and the new option for Crossfire app's I use AFR Friendly mode.

I now get around 40-60fps in Whiterun....thats with 8xSSAA on, and both gpu's at 99%

Seems simple enough. Thanks! This looks promising. :)

Does this have any increase with single card configurations, or is this a crossfire only fix?

Maybe this is what AMD has been working on for the last few months!!

Just wondering, can you select different types or rendering, like SFR? or are you stuck with AFR? Also I wonder what 1x1 optimsed is?

Sweet CrossfireX for Rage is now working according to the patch notes :)

-snip-

sc3252, It shows some gains for single card solutions as well.

Last edited:
Worked for me on Skyrim and I didn't have to adjust anything, it just worked. Much better than that crappy DLL fix. The DLL really didn't do much, this was much much more like the fix I was hoping to have.

Great, just when i sell one of my 6970's this happens. :(

Oh well, 7970's or Kepler soon :)

I am very tempted to try this. Some games run like a dream in crossfire, and some you wouldn't even know I added a second card.

Um, have you guys even read the release notes? Pay close attention to the BOLD section.

· Elder Scrolls Skyrim

o Improves performance 2-7% on single GPU configurations

o Resolve corruption seen when enabling Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing on the AMD Radeon HD 6970 Series

o Disables CrossFireX (to resolve negative scaling and image quality issues seen when CrossFireX is enabled)

§ AMD is continuing to work on a CrossFireX solution for Skyrim – as soon as it’s ready we’ll make it publicly available

I saw that but both GPU's work according to AMD's Overdrive Utility. Plus i'm not using those 11.11a drivers. I'm using those beta ones off guru3d and there's some kind of workaround in the drivers apparently. I noticed the crossfire methods, AFR, Optimized 1x1 affect Skyrim differently but the driver default leaves no glitches and the performance is very nice. It does actually works MUCH better now. I'm running 4XSuper-Sampling on the game with reasonable framerates, 4XSS not 4x Multi-Sampling with Adaptive. The game looks INCREDIBLE and is more than playable.

Neither these or the 11.11a have fixed AMD's poor performance on Saints Row The Third, which is really disheartening. But both seem to work well with everything else with my single 6970.

Something happened with Skyrim after installing this driver that is causing textures to look blurry and low rez.... I'm not sure whats causing it, has anyone else noticed this?

Well, I'm still getting hella microstuttering in Battlefield with these. Another weird thing is when I go and try and uninstall these, I can't find the Catalyst Control Center application when I go into Control Panel/Programs and Features! What the hell?

Edit: Well, I went ahead and did a system restore. I then went ahead and tried the 11.11a drivers. I also see that EA just patched Battlefield. Don't know if it's the patch or the 11.11a drivers or a combination of both, but most of my microstuttering is gone now. The game is much, much smoother now. Man, the graphics in this game are just insane. Very pleased now. :)

Last edited:
Well, I'm still getting hella microstuttering in Battlefield with these. Another weird thing is when I go and try and uninstall these, I can't find the Catalyst Control Center application when I go into Control Panel/Programs and Features! What the hell?

Edit: Well, I went ahead and did a system restore. I then went ahead and tried the 11.11a drivers. I also see that EA just patched Battlefield. Don't know if it's the patch or the 11.11a drivers or a combination of both, but most of my microstuttering is gone now. The game is much, much smoother now. Man, the graphics in this game are just insane. Very pleased now. :)

Yea im getting horrible rubber banding in bf3. By looking at the bf3 forums....its the game not the drivers.

Yay for breaking a game!

I linked the notes from the drives listed in the title of the thread.. bro.

Impossible, if you check on guru3d you would see that these are in fact a preview of the 12.1, and you posted from the 11.11a

If you see the features of these drivers you would have got it, as these are drivers where the user is able to "make it's own cap" pretty much, so you can make your own skyrim crossfire profile with AFR to try and ensure compatibility (AFR ought to always be the most compatible mode if not always the faster)

BTW 8.93 = 12.1 :p :)

Yea im getting horrible rubber banding in bf3. By looking at the bf3 forums....its the game not the drivers.

Yay for breaking a game!

Try playing the game after it's been patched. The microstuttering has been mostly fixed, it seems. It's still there in spots, but it seems much smoother now.

I'm still getting horrible Crossfire scaling in Skyrim with these. It's running much better on a single GPU still ... sigh

I'm still getting horrible Crossfire scaling in Skyrim with these. It's running much better on a single GPU still ... sigh

You must be doing something wrong I think. You make your own profiles with these drivers just like Dashit did.

You must be doing something wrong I think. You make your own profiles with these drivers just like Dashit did.

I followed the same steps as he posted above, and I'm still only getting 50-60% usage on my GPUs.

I also wiped all previous drivers, dlls and CAPs using Driver Sweeper and ATiMan Uninstaller before installing the new drivers.

Well, the 11.11 and 11.11a drivers are causing Skyrim to crash more often to desktop. 11.10 did not have this problem.

So, it's either go with slightly lower performance in 11.10 with no crashes or 11.11/11.11a with more crashes but better performance in Skyrim.

:confused:

Well, the 11.11 and 11.11a drivers are causing Skyrim to crash more often to desktop. 11.10 did not have this problem.

So, it's either go with slightly lower performance in 11.10 with no crashes or 11.11/11.11a with more crashes but better performance in Skyrim.

:confused:

The patch that rolled out for Skyrim yesterday over Steam is causing everyone to have more crashes. I had only one ctd prior to that patch and had several over the course of two hours last night. I'm looking into the new large address aware patch as a possible fix, but won't be able to test it until tonight. CTDs are primarily occurring when trying to take screenshots through steam at eyefinity resolutions -- this was fixed on the old version w/ the LAA patch.

See the comments: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/22/t...-launcher-to-steam-breaks-tweaks-and-ram-mod/ you aren't alone, and it's not these drivers causing the issue (I'm on 11.10 still and started getting these after the patch).

Last edited:
I've noticed that as well since yesterday's Steam patch.

So, it's either bad drivers or bad patch, or both. I'm crashing everytime I either Fast Travel, exit my House, exit a building, enter a city, or exit a city.

I've removed all the add ons and it still crashes.

I must be doing something wrong, because these drivers are a goddamn disaster on my system. No crossfire in skyrim, still, and performance is worse even with cf disabled. Tried the 11a drivers too and their a total POS as well. Game stutters a lot worse and I get all kinds of wierd corruption from lighting effects. This is a joke.

Is there a guide to setting up your crossfire profiles with these beat drivers? Maybe if I could get that working, it would at least be better than the official 11a drivers.

That custom CFX profiles is just AWESOME. I am going to test that on Skyrim right naow!

Edit: Both gpu on my 6990 now at 99% Util and I am getting super smooth 8x Super Sampling AA where as before outside with mist it was a slideshow is now very fluid. I don't have FPS numbers tough. Is there a way in Skyrim to have FPS display?

I will also see if it allows me to enable CFX+AA in SW:TOR that would be plain awesomeness!

Last edited:
Back