amd x2 support and win xp

Catharses

n00b
I remember reading somewhere that only win xp pro could use dual processor chips like hte athlon 64 x2's

So I guess I wanna know if i can run and take advantace of a x2 processor on my xp home edition?

thx alot.. 1 more question

I just installed a new mobo and a new 4400+ x2 and windows would hang after i started up, so i went to do a fresh reinstall and i have been just getting install error after install error after install error.

I got one installation so far that i got most of the windows updates then rebooted and got a system not recoverable error (like windows\system32 is corrupt and cannt be fixed)
something to that affect and all kinds of install errors.. anyone got any ideas?

Catharses said:
thx alot.. 1 more question

I just installed a new mobo and a new 4400+ x2 and windows would hang after i started up, so i went to do a fresh reinstall and i have been just getting install error after install error after install error.

I got one installation so far that i got most of the windows updates then rebooted and got a system not recoverable error (like windows\system32 is corrupt and cannt be fixed)
something to that affect and all kinds of install errors.. anyone got any ideas?

That can happen for a couple of reasons.
The 1st one (and most likely) is a bad DVD/CD ROM.
The 2nd could be overclock (ie.. dont overclock when you are installing windows).
The 3rd could be improper/incorrect Raid Drivers (if you are installing on a raid partition).

I would try using a different/new DVD/CD ROM drive first as that is usually the culprit.

Hope this helps

D.

debaucher said:
That can happen for a couple of reasons.
The 1st one (and most likely) is a bad DVD/CD ROM.
The 2nd could be overclock (ie.. dont overclock when you are installing windows).
The 3rd could be improper/incorrect Raid Drivers (if you are installing on a raid partition).

I would try using a different/new DVD/CD ROM drive first as that is usually the culprit.

Hope this helps

D.

come to think of it.. i have never reinstalled from this dvd drive it's froma friend to tie me over till i can get one.. you REALLY think that could be it? man i never thought of it... but even AFTER i got the OS installed and rebooted twice(on the second reboot) i got a bad system file error that was irrecoverable.. could THAT be attributed to a bad drive? even after the OS is installed?>

dunno what that is.. can't make it.. and my ram should be perfectly fine as it just came out of my otehr mobo working perfectly

EDIT
ya i don't have a floppy drive as i think you mean to make floppy with that prog on it

you could make a bootable cd....

make sure you've flashed that mobo to the latest revision.. I just came across some gigabyte boards that say x2 on the box but had an old bios installed that didnt support it.

and trust me when I say just cause the memory worked in the other board dosent mean its still kosher here. all it takes is a tiny tiny shock to screw memory, you easily cold have done that just unpluging it and moving it and xp isnt as forgiving as other os's with memory

Catharses said:
dunno what that is.. can't make it.. and my ram should be perfectly fine as it just came out of my otehr mobo working perfectly
But since your problems are classic of bad memory, run it anyway to be sure.

Download the uletimate boot CD iso, link in sig. Run memtest 86+ for several hours, 0 errors is the only acceptable answer. That error is also frequently caused by a bad driver. Bad driver, bad!

GRRRR my memory was damn expensive, i have a few different(older) sticks lying around here that im going to try right now...after that.. I dunno

thx for the help everyone.. if anyone thinks of anything else please post!

EDIT
oh.. the mobo recognizes the x2 as the proper processor and it is revision 6.00pg and i looked on hte website(gigabyte ga-k8u) and i dont see anywhere the other bios patches are listed as different

Catharses said:
GRRRR my memory was damn expensive, i have a few different(older) sticks lying around here that im going to try right now...after that.. I dunno

thx for the help everyone.. if anyone thinks of anything else please post!
Did it fail testing?

i havent tested.. i was just commenting on what everyonbe thought.. right now i just threw in some crappy old memory and the install seems to be going off fine so far no errors.. so everyone may be correct

anyone have any experiences sending memory to corsair for warranty coverage?

Catharses said:
anyone have any experiences sending memory to corsair for warranty coverage?
There's not much to have an experience with. You call them up, and they go through the replacement process. They are one of the best, so I wouldn't worry about it.

as of right now i have a new and so far stablew install of windows and have gotten most updates(in the process) so it appears my memory got zapped somehow.. i was REALLY careful too.. shit

will post more if any more problems come up.. but it looks like im gonna have to go buy some new ram n send mine back... then ill have 2 gigs at least

because i spend alot of time on my computer and i need it up?

AND i game alot so more ram is always welcomed

You still didn't answer the question. You do know that your RAM from Corsair will be replaced for free, right?

actually I think he did. .I read it as.. he's rma'ing his memory to get replacement but in the interim he's buying some anyways so that when the replacement stuff comes back he'll have 2gb total

rma + upgrade = 2gb

That makes sense. It sounded like he was buying memory to replace the faulty memory, not knowing it would be replaced for free by Corsair. That's happened on here a few times.

hulksterjoe said:
actually I think he did. .I read it as.. he's rma'ing his memory to get replacement but in the interim he's buying some anyways so that when the replacement stuff comes back he'll have 2gb total

rma + upgrade = 2gb

EXACTLY :)

srry if it was confusing.. I have now downloaded all updates and it is rock stable, MB revision is F3 which is the latest.. it is quite obvious now that my ram is indeed teh suck

When you call Corsair, make sure you explain how different RAM worked fine...and it wouldn't hurt to mention that it failed a memtest...even if you didn't actually test it.

After the upgrade are you going to be running 4x512? There are plenty of mobo issues with filling all 4 slots, check your mobo to see if what you are doing is compatible (manual as well as forum posts). At the very least, you will likely have to back off the timings to CAS3.

Back