An update on my tertiary system build

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
I originally posted what to get or mix/match to which system in the thread linked below:

Tertiary System Build Thread

Well now, even after I gave back 2GB of memory to my brother who needed the memory for another system, I put back into that system a 2GB DDR2-800 kit that I had as spares. Unfortunately, one of the DIMMs failed. As a result, that system has been limping along with only 1GB of single-channel RAM.

Given today's relatively high prices for DDR2 memory, I am now thinking about going to an AMD AM3 build for the tertiary system. Or should I sinply replace the memory with another 2GB or 4GB DDR2 kit? I just don't want my secondary quad-core system (which I use almost as frequently as my main system) to be saddled with less than 1GB per core and running only in single-channel.

Please feel free to make suggestions.

I would honestly say try to find some used DDR2 on the fs/ft forum, because you are right the prices for DDR2 right now are just plain stupid.

I would honestly say try to find some used DDR2 on the fs/ft forum, because you are right the prices for DDR2 right now are just plain stupid.

In fact, too close to the current prices of DDR3 memory for their own good.

In fact, too close to the current prices of DDR3 memory for their own good.

Then again the performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 isn't all that much. Now DDR to DDR2 was great but DDR2 to DDR3 was just... meh lol.

If thats a retail RAM kit, it should have lifetime warranty, regardless if you have the original pacakaging or not. What model is that kit?

I submitted an RMA for the kit (Corsair). Now I have to wait for the authorization...

Another update:

I will be sending off the RAM tomorrow morning.

Now, another device was about to go south on that system: It was a 500GB Seagate 7200.10 hard drive that had just gone out of warranty. I shook the drive, and heard clunking noises. Rather than replacing that hard drive, I will be using one of my two spare SATA hard drives in that system (most likely the 320GB WD Caviar SE16 hard drive that was most recently used in my secondary system). And of course, it will be receiving the secondary system's current case (my old Antec SX 1035B case that has been upgraded to an EA-650 PSU). However, given BFG's troubles of late I will be retiring the 8800GT rather than the GT 240 (as this is going to be a system that I will be using only if I were in a hurry to check my e-mail and the local weather).

Another update:

I received the replacement RAM earlier this afternoon. Running fine - in the existing Antec Super LANBoy case with a Corsair HX520 PSU (yes, that PSU is four years old now, but still good).

A few more questions:

1. Should I retire that HX 520 in favor of a more recently purchased Antec EA650?

2. Which has better overall cooling capability? Four 80mm fans or two 120mm fans?

3. I am not playing games much any more with any of my systems. But my main rig (with the i7) is now doing video editing and encoding/transcoding most of the time (using "prosumer" editing software including Premiere Pro CS5). I am considering replacing the HD 5770 with an NVIDIA card for that system. Unfortunately, I do not currently have an NVIDIA card with more than 512MB of RAM. Which model do you recommend?

After this last upgrade is done, the faster parts in my current collection will be migrated to my auxiliary systems. More pics will follow of all three systems.

1) No. IIRC, the 520HX, despite being a 4 year old Seasonic, is still of slightly better quality than the EA650. Do note that I still have a 520HX in my current system so might be a tad biased there :D

2) Two 120mm fans IIRC.

3) Might want to check out this list of supported GPUs for Premier Pro Cs5:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1532552

The GTX 460 should work but a tad pricey for a non-gaming setup.

1) No. IIRC, the 520HX, despite being a 4 year old Seasonic, is still of slightly better quality than the EA650. Do note that I still have a 520HX in my current system so might be a tad biased there :D

2) Two 120mm fans IIRC.

Thanks for the first two. That's what I thought.

As for the third, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I get either a pricey GPU or an old and nearly EOL GPU.

And I recently upgraded from 6GB to 12GB. This upgrade improves the system's performance in Premiere Pro CS5 significantly.

Last edited:

Some corrections to that list in the link:

A 768MB card will not work well for MPE GPU acceleration. That feature requires at least 765MB of free (not total) graphics RAM. Unfortunately, Premiere Pro CS5 requires a display with at least 1280x900 resolution. That leaves a 768MB card with less than 765MB of free graphics RAM available for MPE use with the color depth set at High (32 bpp), so MPE is disabled even with the hack in that mode. The only way for a 768MB card to enable MPE would be to drop the display color depth to Medium (16 bpp).

Last edited:
Back