Another 780 price drop soon?

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
With the release of the R9 290 for $399 which performs the same or better in many games and has 4gb ram, is there another 780 price drop coming soon?

For example, the 770 (680) 4gb is $399 and is not on the same level as the 290 while the 780 is $100 and performs about the same or slower.

Nvidia has to drop prices further. They cant justify $100 premium with less ram and no performance advantage. And what does this say about the 3gb 780ti? Can they honestly claim $150 premium over a 290x. Will we see a price drop on the 780 ti as well?

I wish but doubt it. 780 prices are kind of all over the place particularly on amazon. I saw one evga card for $494.99, next day it was $529.99. And the Classy at $579 is still too much in my opinion.

It depends on how the market equilibrates, which could take some time. The initial 780 price drop was more a knee jerk reaction because nvidia knew there was no way a $650 780 would compete with a $550 290X. It will take some time for AMD to populate the channels with 290 parts and we're still waiting on AIB aftermarket parts to be released as well. If nvidia can't sell the 770 and 780 at current prices, there's no doubt they will have to drop them further.

nvidia can still test the market with prices though since they had a huge head start to begin with.

I think at the end of the day, the 780 ends up at 449. The 780ti ends up being $575-650 depending on models. 770's would be at 300 similar to the 670 price range and the 760 would be in the 200 price range.

nvidia can still test the market with prices though since they had a huge head start to begin with.

I think at the end of the day, the 780 ends up at 449. The 780ti ends up being $575-650 depending on models. 770's would be at 300 similar to the 670 price range and the 760 would be in the 200 price range.

Even at $449 the 780 is on average slower with less vram. How can it still be more expensive?

Even at $449 the 780 is on average slower with less vram. How can it still be more expensive?

People will pay for lower temps and quiter fans, plus the 780 generally has more oc headroom and will catch the 290's with a good oc.

100 dollars for lower temps, and quieter card. That alone is a selling point for some users. Maybe custom cooling solutions for the 290 might change that. ie: an Asus Direct CUII 290 could be appealing

People will pay for lower temps and quiter fans, plus the 780 generally has more oc headroom and will catch the 290's with a good oc.

This... I just bought one for $499 and with the free games and no tax or shipping it brings the card down to what, maybe $ 440 ? If it had been a few months and there were better stock cooling solutions I would have probably got one. It sounds like they have just overclocked the card and pushed it as far as they can to get those numbers while sacrificing loud fan noise, but at then end of the day I am happy with my purchase and that is all that matters.

Note also that GTX 780s now have a relatively decent game bundle. In tandem with the better cooler, there's some genuine value there. The 780's metal-shrouded stock cooler operates half as loud (logarithmically) as the 290's, and that's not insignificant.

What AIBs do with their 290 HSFs will end up changing the equation more significantly.

Yeah I'm holding out till the dust clears and then making a decision. No need to rush with the holidays right on us and miss out on some killer deals.

Yeah I'm holding out till the dust clears and then making a decision. No need to rush with the holidays right on us and miss out on some killer deals.

True, black friday is less than a month away. I upgraded now because my marine son just graduated and has 10 days here so I put my gtx680 in his computer and the 780 in mine so we can play bf4 together. If not for that, I would have probably waited to see what kind of cooling options some of the card companies do to help with the noise. Hell, most people wear headphones, so the noise is not that big of a deal.

With the release of the R9 290 for $399 which performs the same or better in many games and has 4gb ram, is there another 780 price drop coming soon?

For example, the 770 (680) 4gb is $399 and is not on the same level as the 290 while the 780 is $100 and performs about the same or slower.

Nvidia has to drop prices further. They cant justify $100 premium with less ram and no performance advantage. And what does this say about the 3gb 780ti? Can they honestly claim $150 premium over a 290x. Will we see a price drop on the 780 ti as well?

Gibbo over in overclockers uk has had talks with Nvidia, there will be no more price drops until after christmas. Nvidia might have had their cards out longer, but they are more expensive to make as well, so I don't know what kind of room they have to drop prices further.

And hasn't the 780Ti price been sort of confirmed at $699?

Gibbo over in overclockers uk has had talks with Nvidia, there will be no more price drops until after christmas. Nvidia might have had their cards out longer, but they are more expensive to make as well, so I don't know what kind of room they have to drop prices further.

And hasn't the 780Ti price been sort of confirmed at $699?

I doubt the 780 is $100 more to make. Nvidia has milked the consumer since day 1 at $650 so Im sure they can afford to lower prices more. They literally dropped the price by $150 overnight without hesitation. I bet they have more wiggle room.

I doubt the 780 is $100 more to make. Nvidia has milked the consumer since day 1 at $650 so Im sure they can afford to lower prices more. They literally dropped the price by $150 overnight without hesitation. I bet they have more wiggle room.

maybe not. its not as if the bundles are free to either nvidia or amd. remember that amd paid ea something in the range of 8 million to bundle battlefield 4 with the 290s. nvidia is bundling two new titles with gtx 780 purchases.

in other words back to normal high end video card prices and no more Nvidia price gouging without any competition

Reliability, temps, and OC room?

What has history told us about ATI/AMD cards in general (minus there old AGP cards)? There drivers aren't always up to par. Nvidia may not have the BEST bang for buck cards (they haven't had in awhile), but you have top notch drivers which makes a world of difference.

in other words back to normal high end video card prices and no more Nvidia price gouging without any competition

I still think they're all price gouging still. I think there profit margin is still ridiculous.

I think they could still make the 760 in the hundreds, the 770 in the two-hundreds and the 780 in the 3hundreds. But competition is fierce and without a solid third competitor they can gouge us all they want too until we all decide not to edit/play games.

It was the same last-gen. There was a $100 difference between most 680s and 7970s for a long time. 7970 had 3GB of VRAM as well versus 2 on the 680...

The 7970 didn't have the heat and noise issues the R290 does either so I think Nvidia will be even less pressured to drop prices this time, at least until the non-ref cards come out.

So hoping to see a $220-250 770 black friday deal. I'm not going to hold my breath...

Because it is from NV, although GTX780 has similar FPS as 290x in games, but other features are quite different.

780s between $400 and $450 would definitely be tempting. Hell, I'd just go with 2 for sli at that point.

Jen-Hsun Huang probably had to be pushed, begged and bribed for the first major price drop...I highly doubt he can be convinced to do another one...he positions Nvidia as the leader in performance not value...so he will not change Nvidia's identity to keep up with 1 great product launch from AMD

Fat chance on another price drop till Maxwell.

I picked up a used GTX570 almost a year ago for $175. It would take the 780 to get me a 50% bump which is $450 or another $110 for a 2nd 570. If it wasn't for the 1.28GB on the 570 I'd just buy another. I really want some competition in the $150~250 range as I'm cheap!

Kinda tired of the Kepler milk-age and doing my best holding out for Maxwell.

Fat chance on another price drop till Maxwell.

I picked up a used GTX570 almost a year ago for $175. It would take the 780 to get me a 50% bump which is $450 or another $110 for a 2nd 570. If it wasn't for the 1.28GB on the 570 I'd just buy another. I really want some competition in the $150~250 range as I'm cheap!

Kinda tired of the Kepler milk-age and doing my best holding out for Maxwell.

anything in your price range is just going to be re badged Kepler parts when maxwell is out.

I sure hope not! Hoping that the 6xx and 7xx series end with kepler like 4xx and 5xx ended with Fermi. The 860 Ti or 870 4GB will hopefully be good perf for 1080p. :)

So tempted to find a cheap AMD 7970 3GB if it wasn't for Drivers and my fanboyism of Nvidia all these years.

Back