Antec 850w vs Zalman ZM850-HP

SDMorris

Gawd
Ok, so here is the deal. I have a Zalman 850w (ZM850-HP) and my computer friend has an Antec 850w. (Not the signature series one). He thinks his power supply is FAR superior to mine, but when looking on newegg, my powersupply takes in more power, has more volts on the 12v rails, has a higher efficiency rating, and has better Nvidia SLI Certifications. Can anyone tell me which one is better, mine or his? Its a stupid petty argument, I know, but I would really like to know if I got screwed.

If it ain't a TruePower Quattro, your Zalman ZM850-HP is superior.

Not sure why Zalman isn't reviewed by more sites, but every single review for the 850 and 600 show them to be "amazingly stable" with very little noise up to and including the top rated output. Many supplies fail at full load, let alone are noisy when at the max rated specification.

You didn't get screwed.

Oh, yeah, I own a Zalman as well, albiet a 600 watt model. Here's the JonnyGURU review for that one: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=30

Here's a couple for the 850 model:

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Zalman_ZM850-HP_PSU/index.shtml
http://bios.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zalman/ZM850-HP/
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3343

All of them are extremely happy with the performance and even more so with the near silence of this supply.

Do a simple shoot out with your friend. Turn on your system and listen to the supply, then turn on his and listen. Course if you have a wind tunnel of a system, the near silence of this PSU is wasted then.

But let your heart not be troubled my friend, you've got a stellar supply. The only thing better in my opinion is...........

A

Zalman ZM1000-HP :)

and has better Nvidia SLI Certifications.

Guess they didn't provide as much "payolla" to nVIDIA as Antec did then. Trust me and many other Zalman users, you'll be able to do any GPU that the Antec can. Your lower noise at full load will likely make those GPU's overclock better too, if you are into that.

Not sure why Zalman isn't reviewed by more sites,

He says, "I only trust toms hardware, and since there arent a lot of reviews for your powersupply it is obviously bad". I guess ill just have to show him this thread muahaha.

Also, the whole, "Fire up both the computers and listen" thing wont really work since he just moved to Arizona- lol.

Guess they didn't provide as much "payolla" to nVIDIA as Antec did then. Trust me and many other Zalman users, you'll be able to do any GPU that the Antec can. Your lower noise at full load will likely make those GPU's overclock better too, if you are into that.

Definitely, where is the fun without overclocking? lol

Ok, so here is the deal. I have a Zalman 850w (ZM850-HP) and my computer friend has an Antec 850w. (Not the signature series one). He thinks his power supply is FAR superior to mine, but when looking on newegg, my powersupply takes in more power,

Are you talking about inrush current?

has more volts on the 12v rails

No the 12v rails on both are 12v nominal and the Zalman is capped at 60A on the 12v rails where as the Antec has 64A available.

has a higher efficiency rating

It is not more efficient than the Antec.

, and has better Nvidia SLI Certifications.

That doesn't mean really anything.

Can anyone tell me which one is better, mine or his? Its a stupid petty argument, I know, but I would really like to know if I got screwed.

They are both Enhance units with some slight but contradictory differences from what you posted.

Let's be honest here, does it really matter? I mean, you had your reasons for buying your PSU, he had his for buying his. Yours works, right? Isn't that all that matters? ;)

my Antec TPQ-850W was able to run 3-way SLi 8800 GTXs no problems :)
I bet you any money the Zalman cannot.

Any money? You're now broke.

As Paul stated, the Antec and Zalman are both Enhance with only subtle differences. Only big difference is in Zalman's favor: the heatpipes that remove heat from the sinks and bring it to the back where the air exhausts making for a much cooler running, quieter PSU over all.

Pay up.

OP: Your friend is a tool. Then again, he only "trusts" Tom's Hardware reviews which makes him a tool by association.

Haha, for real? Because I would love some extra cash

Any money? You're now broke.

As Paul stated, the Antec and Zalman are both Enhance with only subtle differences. Only big difference is in Zalman's favor: the heatpipes that remove heat from the sinks and bring it to the back where the air exhausts making for a much cooler running, quieter PSU over all.

Pay up.

OP: Your friend is a tool. Then again, he only "trusts" Tom's Hardware reviews which makes him a tool by association.

ROFL, you just called him out. Although hes not always a tool, just whenever it comes to Antec he is a major fanboy

+ 1 for if his is a Quattro 850w than it's better than your Zalman.

Back