Antec P182, Seasonic OEM SS-500ET & P5K-E/WIFI-AP - is 8-pin cable long enough ?

faugusztin

2[H]4U
I'm planing to buy P182 as a replacement for my Antec Solo, and the main question is if the 8-pin cable is long enough for auxiliary CPU power connector placed on top of motherboard (Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP). Did anyone tried this (or similar) setup ? If not, can anyone measure how long must be that cable from PSU to the upper hole in upper corner near the back of case ?
The second (not so important) question is - how good is this case for cooling HD3870 (with passive Accelero S1) and E6750 (cooled by Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Noctua NF-P12) ? I'm planing to have one or two Nexus fans in upper chamber (at the back/top), maybe one Nexus fan in PSU/HDD chamber.

Thanks for all responses.

Edit: And maybe most important - can i close door when Zalman MFC1 Plus or Scythe KM01-BK "KAZE MASTER" 5.25" Bay Fan Controller ? P5K-E/WIFI-AP is rather bad in terms of controlling fan speed (CPU fan is not controllable at all, other 3 fans can be regulated only together), so there is a need for external regulation in case of this board.

My 550VX reaches along the back of the P182, then out both top holes into the 8-pin and 20+4 pin power connectors. Both of mine are at the top of the board.
Both cables each had about 2 or 3 inches of slack. What's the length of your PSU's CPU cable?

If i measured correctly, then the 8-pin had length about 36cm (14.1 inches), the 4-pin had length about 37cm (14.6 inches). The 6-pin for the graphical card was the longest - 44cm (17.5 inches). So i guess i will need a extension for that cable or a new PSU.

How long it should be to be able to route cable behind the tray ? Cables of Seasonic M12II are 20 inch long (according to silentpcreview.com). Don't want to move into another PSU brand (even if i know that Corsair = Seasonic PSU ;) ).

I know my Seasonic S12 wouldn't be able to reach the top, it can barely reach as it is on my DFI Ultra-D.

According to a review for my PSU, the CPU Power connector is 24".
Like I said, I only had a few inches of slack... I would guess 3" maximum. I would say anything under 20", for sure, will not reach the top slot.

I did a quick Google and it looks like the Seasonic S12 is 19".

The P182 case itself is 21" tall.
So you have to stretch virtually that entire distance, loop through the cable opening, and then down a few more inches to the plug.

So SS-500ET is too short... Probably i will go to shop and buy a Corsair HX520 ($149 / 96€) or HX620 ($186/119€), as it's still Seasonic in some way ;) and it is long enough. More probably HX520, as HX620 would be probably a overkill for my system (P5K-E/WIFI-AP, E6750, 8GB RAM, 2xWD 500GB YS series disks, HD3870 with Accelero S1, X-Fi Gamer. At least the server will get quieter and more powerfull PSU (Enermax Liberty 400W is nice because it's modular, but not so nice due small buzz coming from it).

PS: If you are asking why is price so high - it's the 19% VAT. $125 + 19% VAT = $149.

I just moved my system into the p182 with the Seasonic SS-650HT and it reached my P5B 8 pin fine. Since the SS-500ET is fine for your power needs, can you find any 8 pin extensions? Although if moving the SS-500ET to another system works out for you, then you still have a good reason to upgrade.

That's the problem - i searched all online retail shops and few warehouse shops available to me, and there is simply no way to buy 8-pin or even 4-pin extension in Slovakia. Ordering it from US or even other EU country is not a solution - price for delivery would kill it (same applies to short SATA cables - common in US, nearly impossible to get in easter Europe).

The only thing i'm now deciding about if i should buy HX520 or HX620. 520 is cheaper, 620 is more futureproof :-D.

By the way, SS-650HT have 50cm (19 inches) long cables according to anandtech.

Can anyone respond to my second question ? I know that there is no use for fan controller behind the door, but i can't think that i would have front open all the time. So i would like to know if there is enough place for knobs on it.

Back